HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 23, 2012, 06:32 PM
the anthropocebo effect
Joined Jan 2007
3,466 Posts
Mark,

I used the settings in the guide from the web site for control throws and CG, and they seem to be spot on.

I'm used to pulling the spoiler lever down for flaps too, but I have switched without difficulty. I like having proportional throttle, but to each their own.

I put some 1/64" plywood disks with 3/4 oz. glass laid up on both sides, in the wing. I bonded them in with urethane glue. I glued the servos to those with Goop after sanding the servo surface. I made some carbon fibre pushrod fairings - they have to be fairly wide because the pushrods move sideways a fair bit because of the angles. I'll try to get some photos.

I used M3 pushrods with ball ends, and metal servo arms on JR368 digital servos. The ball ends work very well with the weird angles, and are slop free. It can go very fast, and I wanted to avoid flutter issues.

I am having some problems holding the wings on securely. The little plastic snap things don't do it, and tape so far seems to creep. The wing doesn't have to come off very far before the wing servo connector loses contact, which would be a disaster. I am considering drilling into the wing joiner from the bottom of the wing, and having screws that go right into the joiner. It might make a mess on a bad landing though.

Hope that helps. If you have any improvements to the 9303 program I'd love to see them. This was my first go at programming on the 9303. I have the heli version too. It works very well for DLGs too.

Kevin
kcaldwel is offline Find More Posts by kcaldwel
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:26 AM
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
2,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcaldwel View Post

I am having some problems holding the wings on securely.
Really ! We can't have that.

IMHO, the best wing retainer system is a spring or rubber band that pulls the wing gap closed. Why? Because if some thing happens to pull the wing out, the system will yield to the force then it will return to the closed position. This way the plane does not break from the load but it keeps the wing on. In practice, only a small spring is needed. All electrical connections should have one side floating.

Same concept is true for tying tarps down for a high wind. Use bungee cords rather than rigid ropes. After the storm passes the tarps with the bungee cords will be intact and the ones tied with rope will be laying all over your property.

Kent
Knoll53 is offline Find More Posts by Knoll53
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: "Slice-n-Dice"
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:50 AM
the anthropocebo effect
Joined Jan 2007
3,466 Posts
Yeah, I like the systems with something pulling the wings together too. The Taborca pod is quite small, with poor access through a small hatch in the top. I can barely get the battery in now, so anything protruding into the pod in the hatch area would likely be a problem. I need to stare at the pod some more to see what might be possible. I can't see an easy place to put a retainer between the wings so far.

The rigidly mounted 9 pin D-sub connectors work very well for the electrical connection. I just tightened the connector mounting screws when the wings were on, so the connector alignment is good. Floating connectors have their own problems, like being at the bottom of the float from gravity, and then the connectors crash. They really need guide pins to bring the floating part into alignment before the connectors mate. I did a lot of connector tolerance analysis in my old job. Having each connector custom aligned works well, but is obviously impractical for production.

Kevin
Old Apr 24, 2012, 11:16 AM
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
2,651 Posts
Having a 9 pin D sub connector rigidly mounted to both parts of the wing joint requires that wing joint be closed almost perfectly. Even a 1/4" temporary gap, at the wing joint, will disconnect the electrical connection. Is this what you are doing?

Kent
Knoll53 is offline Find More Posts by Knoll53
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: "Slice-n-Dice"
Old Apr 24, 2012, 11:29 AM
the anthropocebo effect
Joined Jan 2007
3,466 Posts
Kent,

That is the way the Taborca comes, with D-subs blind-mating on the wing root to connectors in the pod. It is all moulded in. Yep, there isn't a lot of connector engagement which is why I am worried about the wing attachment

The wing does have two of these retainers I think:

http://www.espritmodel.com/wing-reta...ng-lock-2.aspx

The set-up is basically the same as in the photo on that page except with two of the retainers per wing, so it looks to be fairly common on large sailplanes.

The pod I am using now had been through a crash with the previous owner, so maybe the retainers don't work as well as they once did.

Kevin
Last edited by kcaldwel; Apr 24, 2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old May 28, 2012, 09:48 AM
More Pile-it than Pilot
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Nov 2002
1,114 Posts
Kevin,
I have assembled my Taborca and am in the initial setup / programming stages and I have a couple of questions

Looking at the recommended settings from LET as shown their Taborca Guide I posted back in post #14, they give slow flight settings and fast glide settings, but no cruise or normal flight settings. I would assume that the cruise settings would be somewhere between the slow and fast settings. With a typical sailplane like my Pike Perfect, my flaps and ailerons are at 0, in my reflex or fast settings they are up 2 mm and in my cambered or slow flight they are down about 5 mm. On launch they are down even more. So if I use that as a guide and compare the recommended fast and slow settings, I guess my cruise settings are elevon at 0, the combiflaps are down 3 mm and the inner flaps are down about 16 mm. Just to confuse matters, the guide shows the inner flaps at 0 for aileron and rudder functions and used somewhat like a snap flap for elevator functions, (moving opposite the elevons)

What are your cruise or normal flight positions for your elevons, combiflaps and inner flaps?

Do you leave your inner flaps down at that setting for all aileron and rudder functions?

Did you ever try the recommended rudder setup?

Thanks,
Mark
mdennis is offline Find More Posts by mdennis
Old May 28, 2012, 11:04 AM
the anthropocebo effect
Joined Jan 2007
3,466 Posts
Last edited by kcaldwel; Jun 11, 2012 at 12:01 AM.
Old May 30, 2012, 10:06 AM
Lapsus calami
Joined Aug 2009
81 Posts
May I ask where you gentlemen obtained your examples of this interesting Nurflügel? Although Let still appear to be manufacturing them, I can find no retail outlet that offers them (at least via web searching).
Undercarter is offline Find More Posts by Undercarter
Old May 30, 2012, 10:29 AM
More Pile-it than Pilot
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Nov 2002
1,114 Posts
I purchased mine used, (unbuilt), from a person here on RCG.

According to the LET website. Soaring USA and ICare in North America carry their products, so either of them could probably order one for you. The Link to their dealers is:
http://www.letmodel.cz/partners.htm
Old Jun 08, 2012, 05:28 PM
I do this for fun!
Sunshine Coast, Australia
Joined Sep 2004
1,162 Posts
Nice plane!

Regarding wing retention, I noticed a lot of European F3B flyers are using standard clear tape. We call it Sellotape here, it's the stuff you use to wrap presents with.

I tried it and like it. It sticks well enough to hold the wings under all flight conditions (they have fixed connectors like yours) yet tears on impact.

Cheers!

Ken
skyboyken is offline Find More Posts by skyboyken
Old Jun 08, 2012, 06:12 PM
the anthropocebo effect
Joined Jan 2007
3,466 Posts
Last edited by kcaldwel; Jun 10, 2012 at 11:57 PM.
Old Jun 09, 2012, 01:45 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
2,943 Posts
I've just had a look at those wing retainers,the"come apart without a tool" bit doesn't sound good.Could you replace them with a heavy duty Multiplex type that DOES needs a tool to unlock?
Stuart
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Jun 09, 2012, 10:06 AM
the anthropocebo effect
Joined Jan 2007
3,466 Posts
Last edited by kcaldwel; Jun 10, 2012 at 11:57 PM.
Old Jun 09, 2012, 05:34 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined Apr 2007
198 Posts
Dear Gentlemen,

My Taborca has had one episode where one wing moved out a little in flight and disconnected half the servos. It survived that episode unscathed, but a later episode involving some control surface flutter, had both wings disconnect leaving me as a helpless spectator as it continued to accelerate and flutter the whole wing as it made its way into a tree. (It split the tree too! LET makes strong models!) I had used lots of tape to secure the wing, but clearly it was inadequate, so I am very interested in your collective solutions to this problem, for when mine gets back into the air.

Carolyn
Carolynne is offline Find More Posts by Carolynne
Old Jun 09, 2012, 11:24 PM
More Pile-it than Pilot
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Nov 2002
1,114 Posts
I have finished mine and took it out for a few hand tosses and possibly a winch launch. It is essentially brand new, the wings snap on with authority and I used Blenderm tape across the wings and fuselage, (Perpendicular to the wing joint, as opposed to in line with the wing joint).

Even gentle landings from hand tosses popped one wing or the other enough to disconnect the servos, so I never tried a winch launch for fear that the stress of the launch would disconnect a wing.

I have devised a plan to secure the wings. I will post pictures tomorrow as I do the modifications.

Mark