HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 17, 2011, 12:12 AM
Langley, British Columbia
Joined Oct 2009
274 Posts
Ordered my yesterday...probably will not see it until the new year ....oh well...something to look forward to :-) Hope the extra battery comes with it too!
kingsnake11 is offline Find More Posts by kingsnake11
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2011, 01:14 AM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsnake11 View Post
Ordered my yesterday...probably will not see it until the new year ....oh well...something to look forward to :-) Hope the extra battery comes with it too!
Kingsnake11,

Did you request a the bonus/free battery from Peter in the 'Message to Seller'?
(I also emailed him after the went through, as I didn't think all my text fitted into the 'Message to Seller' text box)
He replied to me within 5 minutes, and mind you, this was at about 3am AUS/HK time) with the the following:

I ASKED THIS:
Hi (Peter?) I'm ordering the #16 Camera from you due to great work of
Tom Frank on RCGroups, he has started a new thread dedicated to the #16 Camera here
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post20152980

I would like to request the free battery if possible?
I'd also like to know how much it would cost include the 'special' car
charger lead as I would like to get that as well.

Regards, Bill Langfield.
(My name on RCG is 'Fugitive_Bill')

Peter replied with this:
Hi friend,
Thank you for your purchase and your email. Of course we will include a spare battery as a gift for you. Thank you for your kind support!
Hope you will like this new model. :-)
Thanks & regards,
Peter

So if you did not do that I hope it's not too late to send him an email requesting the bonus battery.

While I'm waiting for the #16 to arrive I'll be going over ISOPROP's great #16 programming program and Manual to learn how to use and perhaps make some suggestions - but I think He and Tom have it all covered!

(But from I've read, I don't think the 'special' car lead works on the #16 anyway?)

B!LL!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Dec 17, 2011, 08:14 AM
Registered Abuser
Joined Nov 2010
573 Posts
#16 on the way.

Thank you Tom Frank.
lostheli is online now Find More Posts by lostheli
Old Dec 17, 2011, 03:21 PM
Joined Jan 2007
88 Posts
#16 on the way

Ordered the 16 yesterday and surmise it will be here soon. They said they will include an extra battery. The next step will be a global shutter. Thank you Tom and all those that are involved in the photo-video project. LATER captndon
Captn Don is offline Find More Posts by Captn Don
Old Dec 17, 2011, 08:30 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Loop Recording and Audio corruption in the No. 16

Iso
I think these querys may be more up you alley having made the cool utility.

sorry if this has been discussed earlier, or if I've mis-understood what this #16 will do.. I haven't been following the thread often lately.. but I am curious about the No 16 with respect to the audio quality as the cam runs low on battery..

Does the No 16 behave differently than the No 11 and continue to put out good audio to the end of battery?

will it close the file properly and save it before it stops recording due to low battery?

Also if I've put it in a continuous recording loop mode, do I need to set the length in minutes to tell it when to start over-writing? or , is it smart enough to auto detect and over write when it should on any size micro SD chip? .. or do i need to manually compute and tell it the proper recording length
Regards, JimS
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Old Dec 17, 2011, 09:08 PM
Joined Sep 2011
34 Posts
I just ordered mine. Didn't see any place on paypal to add a message about the free battery, so I just sent a message from the 'contact seller' screen of my purchase. We shall see.
mark_a_l is offline Find More Posts by mark_a_l
Old Dec 17, 2011, 09:15 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
16,608 Posts
n
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123 View Post
Iso

sorry if this has been discussed earlier, or if I've mis-understood what this #16 will do.. I haven't been following the thread often lately.. but I am curious about the No 16 with respect to the audio quality as the cam runs low on battery..

Does the No 16 behave differently than the No 11 and continue to put out good audio to the end of battery?

will it close the file properly and save it before it stops recording due to low battery?

Also if I've put it in a continuous recording loop mode, do I need to set the length in minutes to tell it when to start over-writing? or , is it smart enough to auto detect and over write when it should on any size micro SD chip? .. or do i need to manually compute and tell it the proper recording length
Regards, JimS
No more audio buzzing. File saved when bettery dies. Loop requires 5 min. clip length, as the GUI will mandate.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Dec 17, 2011, 09:28 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_a_l View Post
I just ordered mine. Didn't see any place on paypal to add a message about the free battery, so I just sent a message from the 'contact seller' screen of my purchase. We shall see.
Well as you see in post #47 above, that's all I did and it worked.
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Dec 17, 2011, 10:34 PM
Joined Sep 2011
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive_Bill View Post
Well as you see in post #47 above, that's all I did and it worked.
Yep, already got a confirmation.
mark_a_l is offline Find More Posts by mark_a_l
Old Dec 18, 2011, 07:25 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123 View Post
Iso

Regards, JimS
Although I wrote the utility, Tom did most of the testing , but I'll elaborate on Tom's reply.

The audio buzzing when the battery runs low has been solved.

The last file is also saved correctly when the battery gets low - but that was also solved with some of the latest #11 firmware versions.

If you use the GUI, which I hope you do, and you click loop recording, then you will see that the clip length will automatically be adjusted to 5 mins. This is a safety measure to prevent overwriting too much data. Loop recording always records 5 minute S/S/C clips. It will always overwite the oldest clips. I have tested this function and it works well.

Before anyone else asks, if you edit the config file yourself, which I don't recommend, and you set another clip length than 5 mins., the camera will still only record 5 min. clips. This is why it is much better to always use the GUI to set the values. There are also other combinations that won't work together, but the GUI will always show you the valid combinations. You will not be able to select invalid combinations.

If you edit the file yourself without using the GUI, and the camera doesn't perform as expected, then it's your own fault!
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Last edited by Isoprop; Dec 18, 2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 03:52 PM
Wid
Live Your Dreams
United States, CA, Redwood Valley
Joined May 2001
357 Posts
Can I use 5 volt bec to power camera through external battery connector? The reason I hesitate to use the USB is the weight of the cords is significant in the small, light glider where I am putting several cameras, hoping to get a plane's eye view of soaring with vultures similar to
http://www.pacificsites.com/~wid/per...widspage3.html
If I need to use the USB can some one point me to a source for lightweight (2 wire?)cords. So far I've only been able to find them connected to power supplies and I don't want to spend the bucks for unneeded power supplies.
Thanks
Wid is online now Find More Posts by Wid
Old Dec 18, 2011, 05:13 PM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2006
3,776 Posts
You could solder one up with the mini USB plug (link below) to a servo extension.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-5-Pin-M...#ht_3766wt_956

KC
KC is offline Find More Posts by KC
Old Dec 18, 2011, 06:09 PM
Wid
Live Your Dreams
United States, CA, Redwood Valley
Joined May 2001
357 Posts
Thanks KC. That ought to do it, assuming my soldering skills are up to it.
Still wondering if I can safely put 5 volts in the external battery plug.
Wid is online now Find More Posts by Wid
Old Dec 18, 2011, 06:21 PM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2006
3,776 Posts
Yes, that will work too.

Have a look at this post.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=8209

KC
KC is offline Find More Posts by KC
Old Dec 18, 2011, 08:10 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
16,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wid View Post
Thanks KC. That ought to do it, assuming my soldering skills are up to it.
Still wondering if I can safely put 5 volts in the external battery plug.
If you are referring to the tiny internal battery connection plug, then NO... DO NOT PUT 5V ON THAT CONNECTION UNTIl IT'S KNOW IF THE CIRCUITRY CAN HANDLE IT. The #11 circuit could manange 5V but, but it a totally different circuit board design. That small plug is not mean to be an external power supply plug (like the USB plug is). You could safely put a larger single cell lipo on the internal plug, though, but the recharge time will get even worse than it is. Best to charge external single lipo cells with a dedicated external charger.charger
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank