HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2011, 08:41 AM
Trinidad & Tobago
Joined Jan 2011
15 Posts
Have anyone tested the flight range of the V400D02? Yesterday i couldn't get further than 70-80ft away, i was about 40-45ft high before i lost control. My battery voltages were around 9.8 -10.1 during this time. I tried extending the antenna on the RX but it didn't help. Could the TX battery voltages be the cause of this?
shivanandrs is offline Find More Posts by shivanandrs
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2011, 01:07 PM
United States, AZ, Lake Havasu City
Joined Feb 2010
874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivanandrs View Post
Have anyone tested the flight range of the V400D02? Yesterday i couldn't get further than 70-80ft away, i was about 40-45ft high before i lost control. My battery voltages were around 9.8 -10.1 during this time. I tried extending the antenna on the RX but it didn't help. Could the TX battery voltages be the cause of this?
Should be plenty of voltage. I fly 99" sailplanes with Hitecs converted to 2.4gh with XPS modules and receivers almost to the limit of sight routinely with no problems at those voltages. I hope this is not yet another sign of how cheaply this heli was produced.

I will do a range check on my V400 and let you know what I come up with.

SpadCat
SpadCat2000 is offline Find More Posts by SpadCat2000
Old Feb 22, 2011, 01:25 PM
United States, AZ, Lake Havasu City
Joined Feb 2010
874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post

Still waiting for #2 and #3 to get here. I'm not pushing the limits with #1 to far until I have back-up.

As far as servos are concerned, I'm still waiting to hear from wowhobbies or walkera-china about the wk-09-8 servos. (advertised as full metal gears, but comes with 2 plastic gears inside)

Can some one tell me which gear/gears are most likely to strip in a servo?

I have a set of Turnigy metal gear servos comeing with one of my shipments, but it sounds like the are 'analog' and not 'digital'. Will they work in the V400?

The only bad thing I hear about the EXI's is the noise.....

After flying my 3ch 9053 volitation and incountering so many problems with it, I'm hopeing and praying the V400's dont frustrate me as much.

I think I'll invest in the best sim money can buy and just fly with that.....

kdean
Hi kdean,

That is what I have been doing. For the PC there are some great sims out there. For the Mac (and also PC) check out the www.heli-x.net sim which is for helis only and the demo can be downloaded for free. All you need is a controller. I use an eSky from x-Heli.com, $20 shipped and it works great. The controller is only 4ch, so not able to practice 3D, but I am a long way from that. The sim is very realistic and smooth and I fly the Trex 600s which I find is closest to the look feel of the V400, but not as stable in hover, which is a good thing. I have over 34 hrs flight time and 1400+ crashes, and have not spent another dime on it!. Almost as much fun as the real thing, but none of the gut wrenching feeling I get from the V400 if I fly it out of more than a hover, which has only been a few times. The sim is much better to learn on then the 9053, but I still fly it for low anxiety hovering fun.

SpadCat
SpadCat2000 is offline Find More Posts by SpadCat2000
Old Feb 22, 2011, 04:10 PM
Trinidad & Tobago
Joined Jan 2011
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpadCat2000 View Post
I hope this is not yet another sign of how cheaply this heli was produced.

I will do a range check on my V400 and let you know what I come up with.

SpadCat
I really hope this thing is capable flying further than it currently is. It makes no sense to me having an RC aircraft that can't go further than i can throw a paper airplane. I haven't tried going that far today, just doing some aggressive flying around the yard.

Thanks.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 06:01 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
2,774 Posts
I would expect at least 100m outdoors for the weakest transmitter. Which TX are you using?

There are many stuff using 2.4GHz. Could it be interference, say somebody has a leaky microwave around?
Wasp09 is offline Find More Posts by Wasp09
Old Feb 22, 2011, 06:30 PM
Trinidad & Tobago
Joined Jan 2011
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp09 View Post
I would expect at least 100m outdoors for the weakest transmitter. Which TX are you using?

There are many stuff using 2.4GHz. Could it be interference, say somebody has a leaky microwave around?
I am using the 2603 transmitter. I know my cordless phones are 2.4GHz but i don't think they were in use at the time. As for the microwaves, the closest one is the one in my kitchen. I fly out in the backyard.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 11:36 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
2,774 Posts
Quote:
I am using the 2603 transmitter. I know my cordless phones are 2.4GHz but i don't think they were in use at the time. As for the microwaves, the closest one is the one in my kitchen. I fly out in the backyard.
Wireless routers are 2.4G. The bad thing is that people tend to go with more powerful routers and boosters, when their older ones no longer work to their satisfaction...

I can scan big number of routers, including those with hidden ESSID's, around my house at any time, but there are only 11 channels to fight for...

You may want to take your TX into an open area to see if it makes any difference.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 12:13 PM
Trinidad & Tobago
Joined Jan 2011
15 Posts
Quote:
Wireless routers are 2.4G. The bad thing is that people tend to go with more powerful routers and boosters, when their older ones no longer work to their satisfaction...

I can scan big number of routers, including those with hidden ESSID's, around my house at any time, but there are only 11 channels to fight for...

You may want to take your TX into an open area to see if it makes any difference.
Hmm...maybe i should unplug my router and try again. It's one of those linksys with the internal antennas. It is mounted close to a window where i fly. I will do some tests after work this evening and let you all know the outcome.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 12:28 PM
Joined Feb 2011
31 Posts
Don't think that will be an issue, your radio scans for an open frequency and uses it.
twalace is offline Find More Posts by twalace
Old Feb 23, 2011, 10:24 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
2,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twalace View Post
Don't think that will be an issue, your radio scans for an open frequency and uses it.
Usually there are no open frequencies unless you live in a rural area!

Actually at one time I found my wifi connection dropped whenever I switched on my Esky 2.4G TX.

It could be the other way round as we have so many bigger and faster routers nowadays.

Theoretically they should share, but we never know.

Even if they share, it is all about signal to noise ratio. When the TX thinks a channel is clear, it may not really be clean at the RX end when the RX and TX are long distance apart.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 03:02 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
2,774 Posts
How can we tell whether my 2603 is 10mW or 100mW?

Looking at ads for AV sender receivers, 10mW should be good for about 100m. As we probably need a much lower data rate on RC, it may go quite a bit further.

A 2W one like this would cover 2km:

http://www.bikudo.com/product_search..._receiver.html

Would you have a pair running in the neighbourhood by any chance?
Old Feb 25, 2011, 04:52 PM
Trinidad & Tobago
Joined Jan 2011
15 Posts
Quote:
How can we tell whether my 2603 is 10mW or 100mW?
See post #529 http://www.helifreak.com/showthread....260049&page=53

Quote:
Looking at ads for AV sender receivers, 10mW should be good for about 100m. As we probably need a much lower data rate on RC, it may go quite a bit further.
I never had a single issue with range with my 72MHz Blade CP Pro. My V400D02 In its present state i can't even fly 100 feet away. I am going to do some range testing this weekend and will report back.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 05:47 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
2,774 Posts
Quote:
See post #529 http://www.helifreak.com/showthread....260049&page=53

I never had a single issue with range with my 72MHz Blade CP Pro. My V400D02 In its present state i can't even fly 100 feet away. I am going to do some range testing this weekend and will report back.
There are a lot less stuff around using 72MHz than using 2.4GHz in recent years.

Does the SN thing apply to 2603? Mine has the SN8 sticker. Good if it is really 100mW, that should cover about 3 times the distance of 10mW. I bought my V400D02 with mode 2 TX in Hong Kong.

Anyway I can keep an single rotor in the air on the sim only when I can clearly see if the rotor disc is level. Otherwise I am just guessing. Even 100m range is good enough for now, unless my eye sight improves with the real thing.

100 feet is a bit low though. Do you have another 2.4G Walkera TX or RX that you can use to compare?

Regards.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 07:13 PM
Trinidad & Tobago
Joined Jan 2011
15 Posts
Quote:
Does the SN thing apply to 2603? Mine has the SN8 sticker. Good if it is really 100mW, that should cover about 3 times the distance of 10mW. I bought my V400D02 with mode 2 TX in Hong Kong.
I really have no idea. I have never seen any spec sheet online for the 2603 that says anything other than 10mW. The manual tells a different story, my manual says 10mW or 100mW but there is no way to tell for sure. Thats why i was asking on the other forum if walkera uses one generic manual for all their new transmitters with just the model number changed.

Quote:
100 feet is a bit low though. Do you have another 2.4G Walkera TX or RX that you can use to compare?
I wish i got 100ft, it's more like 70-80ft. I have no access to another TX to compare. Someone on the other forum mentioned that it could just be a faulty RX and not the Tx, what do you think? I noticed that on most 2.4G receivers that the antenna is usually in a horizontal position, mine was always sticking up in the air.
Do you think it would matter at all?
Old Feb 25, 2011, 08:48 PM
Joined Feb 2011
31 Posts
Sounds like a bad RX to me.

Here is a shot of my V400D02 with SuperSkids installed after the crash.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2222199/Pho...%2005%20PM.jpg
twalace is offline Find More Posts by twalace