HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 30, 2010, 10:09 PM
jacksonville florida
Joined Feb 2005
322 Posts
Discussion
a few flair ka8 pics

ok all i picked up this plane a few weeks ago and have a few pics of my first flight, flair ka8b , 12lbs, bought it from a good friend that hooked me up on a sweet sailplane, thanks bernie, and fred, and thanks steve for taking the pitcures.
cbear is offline Find More Posts by cbear
Last edited by cbear; May 31, 2010 at 09:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2010, 06:27 PM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
584 Posts
I've been waiting quite some time for them to go back into production. Thanks for rubbing salt in the wound's.

Just kidding,hope it flys as sweet as it look's.

Ken
SSP #6
L-Spatz is offline Find More Posts by L-Spatz
Old May 31, 2010, 08:24 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
4,903 Posts
Hey Cbear, is that the one from Bernie Coleman? Looks like I snoozed and loozed.

Looks awesome!
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old May 31, 2010, 10:12 PM
jacksonville florida
Joined Feb 2005
322 Posts
ka8

hey ken there are a few unbuilt kits out there,just need to post a want add and im sure you could find one, they are going for around 375.00 to 450.00.and yes sean it came from mr coleman, it flys nice,still trying to get it dialed in , the first flight it stalled on a downwing turn and snaped to the left, i didnt have the rudder switch on to couple the alerons and rudder and not enough differential set up. and it balanced a tad tail heavy,after a few adjustments it flew ok, your not missing anything that special, just a average sailplane, plane white in color. text book beautifull construction,scale gracefull flight ,drop dead gorgeous in the air and on the ground, and did i mention it flys nice. hehe ,heres a pic of the snap-stall.craig
Old Jun 01, 2010, 03:35 AM
Registered Slopeaphile
S-u-A, UK.
Joined Jan 2003
674 Posts
Last year I was flying with the father of the chap who now owns Flair. He did mention that they would be returning it to production, but not sure when. Hope it isn't too far off, I wouldn't mind one in the fleet
awmeade is offline Find More Posts by awmeade
Old Jun 01, 2010, 01:37 PM
Joined Apr 2005
343 Posts
Looks great, cbear! Just Googled the Flair Models website and they have a page for the K8 and a list of U. S. dealers.
HIR/Cer is offline Find More Posts by HIR/Cer
Old Jun 01, 2010, 01:56 PM
MTT
I care about rising air !
West Chester, Ohio
Joined Feb 2002
2,003 Posts
Quote:
He did mention that they would be returning it to production, but not sure when. Hope it isn't too far off, I wouldn't mind one in the fleet
Have been waiting for that to happen for about 2 years now....

Supposedly, the production of the "1/4 scale classics " line ( Stearman, Tiger Moth and Ka8 ) was halted, to change the production from kits with die-cut parts to kits with cnc-router, or laser cut parts..
I really wish this would happen, a kit as well engineered as the Ka8, combied with the precision of cnc router or laser cut parts, would be a delight to build.

But I fear that it is not going to happen....
MTT is offline Find More Posts by MTT
Last edited by MTT; Jun 01, 2010 at 07:21 PM.
Old Jun 01, 2010, 02:54 PM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
584 Posts
Even if it's only a short kit, would be way beyond great.

Ken
SSP#6
Old Jun 01, 2010, 09:03 PM
jacksonville florida
Joined Feb 2005
322 Posts
i remember looking for a kit for a few years and found-bought one on rcu a few weeks ago, the yellow one in the pic next to mine has balsa wings that were built from the old ribs, mabe we could copy the new ones i have and have a few short kits cut,it would just be fuse formers and ribs etc, no stringers or airbrakes, canopy, of fiberglass nose cone.just a thought.
Old Jun 01, 2010, 09:54 PM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
584 Posts
Thats the best idea I've heard in a long time.

Ken
SSP #6
Old Jun 02, 2010, 09:15 PM
Steinbach, MB, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
393 Posts
Kit in possession but NOT for sale

Hi guys,

I flew my very first glider a couple of weeks ago on a slightly windy day on the Manitoba prairies. I was flying from a small hill of about 50 ft. I was flying for the very first time my kit built Airtronics Sagitta 900. Sure was a handfull to fly, but then again it was my very first glider flight and have never seen neither an RC glider nor a full size fly before. First flight was somewhat succesful for about 7 minutes of so until it got behind the hill and then would NOT turn back into the wind. Ended up landing it cross wind, and between some trees. Second flight within 3 minutes it was coming over the hill at about 4 ft and I was desperately trying to get it to turn back into the wind with no success. Ended up touching a wing tip and flipping it onto its back on the top of the hill. NO DAMAGE. But obviously instructions needed.

Anyway, to my question. When I build my Flair Ka 8, can anyone tell me what size RC airplane I should be using for a tug? Please wingspan and power requirement to haul this big bird into the blue yonder?

Thanks for your help guys,

Sackie
Sackie is offline Find More Posts by Sackie
Old Jun 02, 2010, 09:48 PM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
584 Posts
Hi Sackie. You should get in touch with the RC soaring guy's in Winipeg( great bunch and lot's of help). They do a wonderfull slope weekend every year in Quapelle Vally. As for the tow plane, something big and very stable with 26cc (45 to 50 is better) gasser as a minimum.

http://www.maacmen.org/

Ken
SSP #6
Last edited by L-Spatz; Jun 02, 2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old Jun 03, 2010, 06:56 PM
Steinbach, MB, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
393 Posts
Hi Ken, thanks for the suggestion but I had already spoken to Jim H last week about my first flight and he suggested that I bring it to their field a Sunday and let one of the experienced R/C glider flyers check it out for me. Just been too wet and windy last weekend and looks like it will be again this weekend....sucks sometimes to live in Canada, when it is not TOO COLD, it is way too hot or way too WET...

I think my issue may be two fold, not balanced correctly and possibly not enough rudder movement....we shall see what the experienced guys say.

However thanks for your suggestion with regards the size and power of the tow plane.....I have a Top Flight Stinson that I am finishing fairly scale and it has a US Engines 41 under the hood (yes overpowered to bits, but too much power is always a good thing to have), so maybe that may become the tow plane for my Flair Ka8...

Thanks guys.

Sackie
Sackie is offline Find More Posts by Sackie
Old Jun 03, 2010, 08:25 PM
Redcliff Alberta
Joined Jul 2008
584 Posts
TF Stinson with the 41 is a good choice, we are not at sea level where the motor rating's are done. Just remember to have the tug release top of the wing just behind the spar. And add a lenght of 1/8" wire up the leading edge of the fin to just past the top of the rudder. Other wise the tow rope WILL get caught in the fin/rudder gap and jam it up. There is a pic of this in this forum somewhere,when I find it, I'll post it here for you.

Ken
SSP #6
Old Jun 03, 2010, 08:49 PM
Vintage wood is the best!
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Spatz View Post
Just remember to have the tug release top of the wing just behind the spar.
Trailing edge of the wing is a better mounting location. What happens when you have the mount right behind the spar is that the aerodynamic center (AC) of the tug is not at the wing but is lower in the fuse and when you pull from the center of the wing it creates a lever arm that acts on the AC and pulls down on the tail. By locating the pull point at the trailing edge you have a bit more of a straight shot to the AC which in turn makes for an easier towing experience for the tug pilot.
SZD16 is offline Find More Posts by SZD16