View Poll Results: If you are reading this thread are you an IOM owner
Yes 26 49.06%
No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 11, 2009, 05:14 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
1,820 Posts
Here and also RCSailing.net - (but not for IOM stuff necessarily)

The IOM here in US has it's own forum as I recall, and might be the reason one seldom sees many of the hardcore, "racers" visiting here. Might also be why some feel the class is a bit stand-offish.

Unfortunately AMYA came a bit late to the party, and will take time to gather subscriber/poster/readers.

My point was that the class secretary "should" know of anything in the works - not always, but one would hope so.

Try these links:

http://onemetre.sbmyc.com/

http://onemetre.sbmyc.com/forums/

If they know nothing there - the company producing anything is missing some marketing/promotion efforts.

Cheers
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Last edited by Dick L.; Dec 11, 2009 at 05:14 PM. Reason: spelling
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2009, 06:35 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,105 Posts
All good sites. I check them all while not working on the puter. Screen names for me are either gpzy or manny.
I am always looking for info on rc boats. Found my. IOM by acciedent while surfing the web. Sail her for fun. But will try my hand at racing soon.
gpzy is online now Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Dec 11, 2009, 08:13 PM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,079 Posts
IOM in Australia has a forum though the ARYA but hardly anyone visits this site is ggod because you get people from all over Europe, you guys over there in USA and skippers from Asia, Aus and NZ.
gpzy, rcsailing.net is worth a look good well known hull designs at a cheap price. But for $1000 you will need to buy second hand or build. What is wrong with the SC4 good boat, we have one in our club and it goes really well.
Mike
IOM AUS 669
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Dec 11, 2009, 08:28 PM
Joined Apr 2007
3,105 Posts
Nothing wrong with the SC4. Just a info addict, and a readaholic. Also I am just amazed on how much some of the boats cost.
Plus just trying to create some friendly banter.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 08:30 PM
Joined Apr 2007
3,105 Posts
My bad, double post.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 12:14 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
424 Posts
This thread is going so well.

I've got zip idea of a rudderless boat if that is what Bob was suggesting. The fish analogy was actaully quite good. Some fish have a large dorsal fin (Sail) used for stability. I have Discus fish.

My stupid questions for an IOM newbie -

Could someone direct me to a diagram showing a sane IOM sheeting diagram for a servo arm? Pls no discussion on RMGs being better. This is for a boat I wish to make competetive with a sail arm servo. It's $200 cheaper. $50 for a Hitec HS-815BB or an RMG 280 for $250. I don't want to win races just be competetive. I built my Noux2 with the aim of being cheap. Trying for under $300. So far I am just over that cost. Plug included and I make my own sails.

With the sheeting set-up the less pulley blocks the better. Saw one set-up that needed 6 pulley blocks! At $20 a pop that is just silly. I'm thinking 2 blocks one tang.

Next stupid question - with a servo arm set-up where is elastic used? Please I'm a visual person and a diagram would be great.

My next post will be aimed at builders who know how to make CF fins. How do I make fin / rudder molds. Baby steps please.

Larry.
larrykin is offline Find More Posts by larrykin
Old Dec 12, 2009, 04:19 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
424 Posts
IOM Rules

~~~~
Last edited by larrykin; Dec 24, 2009 at 06:57 AM.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 04:34 AM
Joined Dec 2009
69 Posts
Hi Larry,

The hull shall be no deeper than 60mm measured down from the waterline. This is usually checked in a tank and would be checked by a measurer at any major event.
p
pchicken is offline Find More Posts by pchicken
Old Dec 12, 2009, 05:41 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchicken View Post
Hi Larry,

The hull shall be no deeper than 60mm measured down from the waterline. This is usually checked in a tank and would be checked by a measurer at any major event.
p
PChicken,

what about my other questions re rigging with a servo arm????
Old Dec 12, 2009, 05:53 AM
Perth Western Australia
Joined Jul 2009
1,079 Posts
Larry,
What about using a hitec winch not arm that is what i use in TS-2, might be a little slower than RMG but i still hold my own, ie got a second in one race and finished 8th out of 12, had light winds for the start of the day (not ideal TS-2) and then they picked up which is when i started getting decent places. The big secret with a servo winch is when rounding a mark you just need to start pulling on faster.

Mike
IOM AUS 669
8387mike is offline Find More Posts by 8387mike
Old Dec 12, 2009, 05:57 AM
Joined Oct 2008
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykin View Post
Mike,
the Reggea or Reggae is the name. Only because young Chris on another post (Emo build) bought the plans. I love the fact he is now posting on how to make a mold for fibreglassing, never having built a boat that has sailed .

Thing with me is I enjoy building. I raced for the first time last week. Came last of course but that could have been.... list is too long. In 2 weeks I'll have a much better boat. But I can build a new USOM in 2 weeks. Wish there were more buyers. Yes that is me on ebay. Below is a YouTube of my first USOM sailing. Sold for $500. I now have 4 boats all of which are for sale. I need space to build more. The moulds (male) are for sale as well.

Larry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxyfeuK4suc

Dear Larry L.
is this not posting to sell your boats of unknown material and quality?
Ihave never linked to my webshop or posted prices - the links I have posted are to informational pages only - YOU actively try to sell here on the board!!!
I build boats from free plans too - BUT I have contacted the designers and got their written permission to build their designs.

Best regards from Mr. RCSails.com
Siri is offline Find More Posts by Siri
Old Dec 12, 2009, 06:23 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
2,681 Posts
Quote:
Next stupid question - with a servo arm set-up where is elastic used? Please I'm a visual person and a diagram would be great.
With an arm, I wouldn't use any elastic. With a drum, and a continuous loop, the elastic would live in the return just to make up the changes that you can't otherwise account for when winding. (The line NEVER lies perfectly on the drum, therefore the effective diameter changes)
With a single drum, the only time you need elastic is when you let the sails out in light wind, and the line falls slack. If you try to design a machine that can tie a knot, you will have a hard time. A single drum in light wind will do the job every time. So the elastic needs to be placed so that it can pull any slack away from the drum.
mfr02 is online now Find More Posts by mfr02
Old Dec 12, 2009, 06:24 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
424 Posts
?????
Last edited by larrykin; Dec 24, 2009 at 07:00 AM.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 06:44 AM
Joined Dec 2009
69 Posts
Hi Larry,
I have never used an arm winch hence can't offer suitable advice. May I suggest looking at the Binks style setup as this is the only one known near the front end. They use hitec servos I believe. John Elmaleh in the US is also using an arm winch but not sure of the details. I feel they are a little prone to overloading when fine trimming under load but others swear by them.
p
pchicken is offline Find More Posts by pchicken
Old Dec 12, 2009, 07:00 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2008
424 Posts
edit
Last edited by larrykin; Dec 24, 2009 at 07:01 AM.