HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 29, 2014, 04:36 PM
Joined Jul 2014
8 Posts
Question
ESC and Power Distribution Board question

Hello,

Making my first quadcopter and have been reading a lot on how to go about making one. Selected all my parts but still have some questions.

So one of my questions involves the Power Distribution Board and ESC I will use.

I will be using TURNIGY Multistar 30 Amp Multi-rotor Brushless ESC 2-4S with the HobbyKing Quadcopter Power Distribution Board. Now I found a video on this forum going over how to make a quadcopter. One of the steps indicated (1:49 in the Youtube video) that the red and black wires from the ESC be cut from the wire connector and the white (signal) wire be left intact for 3 of the 4 ESC's. This is due to the control board only needing power from one of the ESC's.

My question is if this is necessary with the ESC's I have selected?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Some extra information:
Battery: ZIPPY Flightmax 2800mAh 3S1P 30C
Motors: NTM Prop Drive Series 28-26A 1200 kv/286w
Control board: HobbyKing Multi-Rotor Control Board V2.1 (Atmega168PA)
SmashBrother is offline Find More Posts by SmashBrother
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2014, 07:45 PM
Joined Jan 2014
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashBrother View Post
Hello,

Making my first quadcopter and have been reading a lot on how to go about making one. Selected all my parts but still have some questions.

So one of my questions involves the Power Distribution Board and ESC I will use.

I will be using TURNIGY Multistar 30 Amp Multi-rotor Brushless ESC 2-4S with the HobbyKing Quadcopter Power Distribution Board. Now I found a video on this forum going over how to make a quadcopter. One of the steps indicated (1:49 in the Youtube video) that the red and black wires from the ESC be cut from the wire connector and the white (signal) wire be left intact for 3 of the 4 ESC's. This is due to the control board only needing power from one of the ESC's.

My question is if this is necessary with the ESC's I have selected?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Some extra information:
Battery: ZIPPY Flightmax 2800mAh 3S1P 30C
Motors: NTM Prop Drive Series 28-26A 1200 kv/286w
Control board: HobbyKing Multi-Rotor Control Board V2.1 (Atmega168PA)
you only need to disconnect the red wire if the BECs are switching, and not linear. you can leave them all connected for the multistars. personally, I'd go with the afro ESCs as they're already flashed with simonk firmware.
gixxerman177 is offline Find More Posts by gixxerman177
Old Jul 29, 2014, 08:14 PM
Joined Jul 2014
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerman177 View Post
you only need to disconnect the red wire if the BECs are switching, and not linear. you can leave them all connected for the multistars. personally, I'd go with the afro ESCs as they're already flashed with simonk firmware.
Thanks for the response.

The specs for the Turnigy Multistar 30 Amp Multi-rotor Brushless ESC 2-4S say it's switching, so then I should remove the red wire.

SmashBrother is offline Find More Posts by SmashBrother
Old Jul 30, 2014, 12:11 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,261 Posts
Use a pin to reach into the plug to unhook the middle wire, and then just tape it off.

I've never seen what would happen if you put switching becs in series so i don't actually know what happens inside, but it's how they traditionally do it so i'd just do the same.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 02, 2014, 04:58 AM
Joined Aug 2011
112 Posts
I am setting up almost the same thing, but it appears we will both be over the limits of the 20 amps Hobbyking Power board . . . is there a better board. My calcs show I will run between 18-23 amps
claytucker2 is offline Find More Posts by claytucker2