darn you, kakka carrot cake.
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2012
1,018 Posts
Discussion
time to rank up?

you all know my stick plane?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1837211

well i did 5 lipo packs of aerobatics and stuff with it, i did inverted flying, snap rolls, knife edges and touch n goes, its an amazing plane to fly, and i haven't crashed it yet well, i did smash it into the ground on takeoff this morning because my aileron reversing switch was set to....reverse... but i rebuild the fuselage and its better than ever.

2 days ago was the first time i have flown a 4 channel plane and felt in complete control over it (unlike my skyartec Cessna which got totaled on the maiden a few months back)

iv made and flown heaps of 3 channel and experiment planes since october though which is where i got most of the experience from

so what do you guys say? should i rank up to "apprentice" status?
(im talking about my quote thing just below my name that says "a noob from Australia")

i hate snap rolls, the plane looks like its gonna blow up from all those g forces.
derpron is offline Find More Posts by derpron
Last edited by derpron; Feb 24, 2013 at 12:35 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2013, 01:02 AM
Flying is Living!
Savage, MT
Joined Mar 2008
205 Posts
Did you land where and when you wanted? Did you have a moment or two that you did not have complete control of the plane i.e. flew it where you did not want it to go, or where you did not expect it to go? Have you "dead stick" landed the plane where it would not do harm? Those are the questions you need to answer truthfully to yourself.

Yes, you probably can upgrade if you have the skill to keep the plane out of any area where it should not be, especially where it could do harm to other people or property. Part of being a good pilot is learning and practicing safe flying and an apprentice should know when to fly and when not to fly. And he should have reasonable control over the plane at all times. A beginner should learn these things above all else.
Alcuy is offline Find More Posts by Alcuy
Old Feb 24, 2013, 01:11 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2012
1,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcuy View Post
Did you land where and when you wanted? Did you have a moment or two that you did not have complete control of the plane i.e. flew it where you did not want it to go, or where you did not expect it to go? Have you "dead stick" landed the plane where it would not do harm? Those are the questions you need to answer truthfully to yourself.

Yes, you probably can upgrade if you have the skill to keep the plane out of any area where it should not be, especially where it could do harm to other people or property. Part of being a good pilot is learning and practicing safe flying and an apprentice should know when to fly and when not to fly. And he should have reasonable control over the plane at all times. A beginner should learn these things above all else.
whats "dead stick"?

yes i did have full control and it did exactly what i expected it too. except for a landing where i came in to fast and it hit my leg, broke the prop hehe

oh just googled dead stick

yeah i did that, just have to keep the nose straight.
Last edited by derpron; Feb 24, 2013 at 01:19 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 06:24 AM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Time to have another go at that Cessna, then.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Feb 24, 2013, 06:32 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
5 good flights? Time to mix it up (even with the one crash). Keeps you on your toes.

FLYLOW for example. You'll crash more, learn more, and have more fun! It's what I did.

There's even stickers, shirts, hats, aprons, boxer shorts, and clocks that say to do it.

http://www.cafepress.com/3dhobbyshop/4787095
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Last edited by eagle777; Feb 24, 2013 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Markup
Old Feb 24, 2013, 07:12 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,425 Posts
I've built many dozens of planes and I've had a few thousand good flights. I'd put myself in the intermediate-intermediate stage.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Feb 24, 2013, 07:16 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
I've always pushed my limits when beginning, and it ended badly more than it should have. I still fly like I stole it, with 75% less crashes than 5-6 years ago. Actually, I haven't crashed for a year or so. Except for the Airfield 800mm P-51 on launch.
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Last edited by eagle777; Feb 24, 2013 at 07:29 PM. Reason: No airplane crashes ;) I have a nice inventory of 450/500 heli parts to choose from.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 04:44 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2012
1,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafe_b View Post
Time to have another go at that Cessna, then.
i cannot get the CG right, even removing the battery tray and moving the battery all the way to the front doesnt do much of a difference.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 06:19 AM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by colj00 View Post
i cannot get the CG right, even removing the battery tray and moving the battery all the way to the front doesnt do much of a difference.
The heck with it then. Get yourself a GWS E-Starter airframe for $33 and go with that. You'll get all the help you need, and there's no question about its ability to fly well. Plus, you know you have the smarts to build it up -- GWS planes are made for savvy folks who like to fiddle and tinker.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 06:35 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2012
1,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafe_b View Post
The heck with it then. Get yourself a GWS E-Starter airframe for $33 and go with that. You'll get all the help you need, and there's no question about its ability to fly well. Plus, you know you have the smarts to build it up -- GWS planes are made for savvy folks who like to fiddle and tinker.
i would like to get a GWS plane, i was looking at them on heads up, they look nice but i cant spend any money for a few months.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 07:27 AM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
All right then, another foamie scratch-build. Lots of plans to choose from here on RCG. Can be as pretty or as plain as you want it to be.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:43 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,959 Posts
Just add stickem lead weights either fore or aft to balance the plane with the battery installed in the position the manual states. It will have to balance sooner or later by adding weight or moving the battery.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:45 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcuy View Post
Have you "dead stick" landed the plane where it would not do harm?
No he has not had me land his plane.

Quote:
i would like to get a GWS plane, i was looking at them on heads up, they look nice but i cant spend any money for a few months.
I found a NIB (box opened but all parts still sealed in plastic) GWS Spitfire motor included for less than $30 US on ebay, I think I paid more to have it shipped than I did for the plane.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:53 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,377 Posts
Colj00, hope you're flying because you love to fly and not because you just have a list of desired accomplishments and you're checking off the items. That list has two ends you know, the end of the list and the end of whatever abilities you have. Either way you get to the end of the list and you leave the hobby.

Its more like work than fun. Enjoy flying! Don't think of every plane as nothing more than a gateway to the next, more advanced one. Some wouldn't agree with me but I say if you aren't having fun flying a Super Cub even after it's taught you everything it can, you don't really enjoy flying. Any plane should be fun to fly just because it flies!

Especially us Americans get so blasted goal-oriented we forget to have fun. Don't be too much like us. Have fun!
Rockin Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:57 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,751 Posts
Quote:
well, i did smash it into the ground on takeoff this morning because my aileron reversing switch was set to....reverse... [snip]

except for a landing where i came in to fast and it hit my leg, broke the prop hehe
You appear to have answered your own question

If out of five flights you hit yourself with the plane once and took off with reversed ailerons and crashed another time, then you are still very much a beginner in my book...
There is nothing wrong with being a beginner, we were all one once and I'm still one when it comes to flying certain types of model (e.g. helis). I think you should be focussing on the basics like controlled landings rather than attempted aerobatics. there will be plenty of time for aerobatics once you can land consistently.

Steve

PS.. You say you did snap rolls.. they are pretty tricky and many planes wont do them. Do you really know what a snap roll is? And I cant imagine your model being much good at knife-edge either, it's just not that type of design.. got a video?
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer