SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 03, 2013, 08:59 PM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,459 Posts
Got the flap problem fixed tonight! All is well with the little plane once more. Nothing like getting in there with a moto-tool and grinding down the excess fiberglass and super glue after the most recent repairs. Heh.

Now for yet another (re)maiden flight. Seems like every time I've flown this plane it's been just another maiden after major changes. I think I have only about 5 or 6 flights on this plane and every one has been a maiden.

Gotta see what the weather brings over the next few days. Tropical storm Karen might be a factor on when I can fly again.
BigIron357 is offline Find More Posts by BigIron357
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2013, 11:11 PM
Just Me
United States, OR, Salem
Joined Apr 2006
842 Posts
I believe you're on the right track, addressing that incidence.....
Brner is online now Find More Posts by Brner
Old Oct 05, 2013, 11:00 AM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,459 Posts
Argghhh!! Aggravation and frustration this morning.

Took the DD over to my local park along with my Porter PC-6 and Firebird Stratos and a bunch of freshly charged batteries for some morning flying. NOBODY there when we arrived at about 0815 and the dew was still on the grass. Perfect!

Unloaded the truck, grabbed the DD and stuck in a battery. Mind you, this would be the first flight after the decalage angle change. I was careful to use the same 6x4 prop on the motor from the prior flights so that the incidence angle was the only change for this flight.

As can be seen in the video, the takeoff was slow and uneventful. It became clear to me right away that the plane wasn't going to constantly nose up like it had been with the positive incidence. I even had to put in just a smidge of up elevator trim to help with the climb. It became quite apparent that the plane really is underpowered with this motor. I'd hoped to fly it again with a 6x5.5 that I had on hand ready to go for the 2nd flight. Alas, 'twas not meant to be.

I only got about 20 seconds of flight when I suddenly lost power. Still had control but no power, as though the battery had reached LVC. Managed to get it down safely, plunked into the grass undamaged. When I approached the plane I heard... Beep beep... beep. Beep beep... beep. Say what?!? Did I grab the wrong battery?

Back at the truck I pulled out my power meter and the battery was at 8.11 volts. Huh? About that time a zillion little league people started showing up at the park so I stopped troubleshooting, packed everything up and came home.

Bottom line - I think I lost link on the Rx and it rebooted in flight. And I'd kept jockeying the throttle attempting to get more power, so the throttle lockout kept me from powering out of the situation.

Now I have to troubleshoot my FlySky CT6B transmitter and that Rx to see what's up. Am glad it didn't happen while flying my big Porter though!

Aggravating.

Click image to view video.

Old Oct 05, 2013, 05:00 PM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,459 Posts
After lunch today I worked on the DD to see if I could figure out what happened this morning. No joy.

Using the same battery that was used during the morning flight and which was still balanced at 8.10 volts, I powered everything up and all functioned normally. Did a range check and it was well beyond the requirements for the transmitter. This was without making any changes to the DD or even pulling the wing to look around inside.

Tonight I'll open the Tx to see if there's something hanging loose that could have caused a momentary short or open or something.
Old Oct 06, 2013, 07:57 AM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,459 Posts
Well, this is all that I found going on with my FS CT6B transmitter. Corrosion at the positive end of the battery compartment. Didn't see any obvious loose wires or bad solder joints. Dunno if the gunk caused the link loss though. I did have a solid green LED on the Tx when I started and ended the flight.

Cleaned everything up with some baking soda/water and made it all nice and shiny now. Will buy some fresh batteries as well. Note - I hadn't been using Duracell coppertops in the Tx but had some Ray o Vac batts in there this time.

Hoping to fly the DD this evening.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 11:18 AM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,459 Posts
Here's the latest update: the motor slowdown I had previously was caused by a bad ESC, not the FlySky transmitter. Ordered and replaced the ESC and flew the plane again a few times a couple weeks ago with the old 1700kv motor but it was just too underpowered, especially since I'd reduced the positive incidence in the wing. So, I ordered a new 2300kv motor.

After waiting to receive and then finally installing the new motor I had to wait again for a couple weeks for the winds to die down but I finally got out there to fly on Veterans Day. Not bad. Not bad at all.

Will still do more but am starting to feel better about the little Dick's Dream!

Click image to view video
Old Nov 13, 2013, 04:06 PM
United States, IN, Hammond
Joined Jan 2013
632 Posts
I'm glad your persistence is paying off- nice build.
Ken USA is offline Find More Posts by Ken USA
Old Nov 13, 2013, 05:07 PM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken USA View Post
I'm glad your persistence is paying off- nice build.
Thanks. It's been an interesting journey with this little plane for sure. It's almost done though.

Yesterday I cut a basswood shim to replace the cardboard shims that I'd rigged up out at the field. Will have to test fly the plane yet again to be sure the new "permanent" shim is the right size.

After I get the airframe flying straight I'll more closely examine the motor performance. Might go with a 2500kv or 2650kv outrunner later. Maybe. There's also a 2840kv unit but that puts me up close to the screaming overkill that I had with the original 3000kv motor which was in place back at the beginning of this project.

Time will tell.

Fifty degrees here today with 25-35mph winds. Sigh.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 06:16 PM
Joined Jan 2013
632 Posts
I'd be interested to know what the incidence is once properly shimmed. I've enjoyed watching this plane come to life, your slow pass looked nice, spins and rolls effortless. It's a keeper, for sure and worth fine tuning.
I think shrinking models is harder than enlarging them. As a percent, I think the airfoil has to get thicker, the smaller you go if you want any float at all.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 06:19 PM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,459 Posts
Quote:
I'd be interested to know what the incidence is once properly shimmed. I've enjoyed watching this plane come to life, your slow pass looked nice, spins and rolls effortless. It's a keeper, for sure and worth fine tuning.
I think shrinking models is harder than enlarging them. As a percent, I think the airfoil has to get thicker, the smaller you go if you want any float at all.
I'm thinking that the closer I get to a 0 degree incidence angle the better that the plane will perform. With the semi-symmetrical airfoil, it should fly pretty well. The original needed the higher incidence because it was rudder-only.

Speaking of incidence! I had a chance today so I actually measured the incidence angle on the plans. The plans clearly state that the angle should be just 2 degrees but when I measured, it was actually 5 degrees positive on the plans! The trailing edge of the wing is a full 1/4" lower than the leading edge, according to the plans. Way too much for my application. So even though I shaved a little of the angle off during the build, the angle was still much too high from the very first flights... and it showed.

I agree that making a plane smaller is definitely tougher. I had a difficult time building the 1/2 sized ultra micro version of this "full sized" Dick's Dream. It remains unfinished, sitting in a box in my hobby room.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 08:46 PM
Joined Jan 2013
632 Posts
Thanks for checking that out. I'm learning and your experience is very helpful.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 02:59 PM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,459 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for checking that out. I'm learning and your experience is very helpful.
This project has been a learning experience for me as well... especially about electric motors compared to nitro.

Today with the new shims installed I measured the incidence angle on my little DD plane itself and it was about 1.5 degrees positive. Will have to test fly it for further evaluation.

Am hoping to fly again this month but am getting very busy here so it may not happen. A longtime friend is coming down from up north this week for the Thanksgiving holiday and will be staying for a couple weeks. Have to rearrange my hobby room back into a bedroom!

And on Nov 25th I have surgery. Ugh.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 12:40 PM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,459 Posts
I put together a little compilation video of flights with the various motors that I've had on this plane. Pretty interesting.

Will get the airframe flying "straight" with the current 2300kv motor before making any more motor changes. That being said, I'm eyeballing a 2650kv motor that I've seen online. It may end up being the "perfect" motor for sport flying with this plane. Time will tell...

Old Jan 20, 2014, 04:48 PM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,459 Posts
Update 20 Jan 2014

Got a chance to go flying this morning with the DD. Flew three flights; two on the first battery and a single flight on the second.

First time flying this plane since making the decalage change permanent with plywood a couple months ago. And I'm happy to say that I believe that the issue is resolved. The plane tracks well, climbs on full throttle, maintains altitude at maybe 70% throttle and slows down nicely.

Still had a couple of trim issues this morning. Got those corrected but discovered that my nose wheel isn't tracking properly now so will have to get that sorted out.

Almost lost the plane on the second flight of the first battery. Total air time was just 6 minutes but I hit LVC as I happened to be on final and close to the runway. Would have been a non-event except that the wind suddenly changed and came at the plane at a 90 degree angle just feet from the runway. Would have slammed the plane pretty hard! Managed to climb to about 15 feet and did a quick circle and got it down into the wind though. Whew!

And I've confirmed what I'd thought on my last flying trip. The current motor just isn't quite enough. Am planning on purchasing the 2650kv motor I found online... eventually. Right now I have 3 other projects in progress but will keep after this plane until it's flying exactly the way I want.

The plane really spins nicely. And roll rate at 100% is quite snappy but is touchy since I don't have expo on my current transmitter.

Anyway, here's a little video from todays flying.

Click image to view video.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 09:53 AM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,459 Posts
So I made just a few more minor trim changes to the DD to get it flying perfectly straight in preparation for ordering the new motor. Flew it 6 days ago, tweaked a little and then again 3 days ago after implementing the changes. Perfect!

So I did this...