HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:31 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,391 Posts
Discussion
Madison/Intergraph R/C Flying Threatened?

I've been to the Intergraph East flying field along the road the past 2 of 3 Saturdays, starting about 8 AM. Lots of pilots there at up to 3 different locations along the road seen and heard so far. Fun! Fun! Fun!

I heard something, and it took me a while to track it down, at least partially. Apparently someone is working on a revised Nuisance Ordinance for Madison. I hear it's 60 pages long and that it covers everything under the sun and sounds something like a Homeowners' Organization Petty Rules for the whole city gone amuck.

Supposedly somewhere in it it addresses (bans!) flying R/C models throughout Madison. That got my attention really fast!

It might all be a rumor, but Jimmy Morgan in Code Enforcement is aware of it being written. He told me to watch the City Council Meetings held the 1st and 4th Mondays of each month in case it makes it up to that next level of the city governance processes: http://www.madisonal.gov/index.aspx?nid=217

I've been calling around and checking about this. When I find out more, I'll share it here.

Anyone know anything or who's doing this?
Jim_Marconnet is online now Find More Posts by Jim_Marconnet
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:14 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,391 Posts
A few more phone calls and I have two more people to contact tomorrow about this. I learned that the Code Enforcement guy who did much work on this code update recently retired, soooo who knows? till I call more folks to see if someone else picked it up and is running with it!?
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:43 PM
What Canary?
Huntsville, AL USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,735 Posts
Call the local hobby shops. They have the most to lose if anything like this were to pass. Would love to hear how they could ban RC anywhere but at a city-owned park/property.
KeithK is offline Find More Posts by KeithK
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:43 AM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,391 Posts
I still have a few voicemails yet unreturned.

But I found on the Madison City website Proposed Ordinance No. 2012-277 amending Chapter 12 of the Code of Ordinances relating to nuisances (first reading 08/29/2012; tabled on 09/10/2012) http://www.madisonal.gov/DocumentCenter/View/5465

I don't know yet if further action is pending on this, much less by whom, but I'm trying to find out. It appears to be 40 pages long. No, I've not read it all yet.

I did find and am sharing here Section 12-19. Operation or use of radio-controlled aircraft or watercraft.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:03 PM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,439 Posts
Makes me wish I lived in Madison! Boooo!
dee-grose is online now Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:27 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,391 Posts
Well, Andy, you could move to Madison.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:38 PM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,439 Posts
Ummm...no.
dee-grose is online now Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:32 AM
Limb stalker
Taft, TN
Joined Aug 2010
135 Posts
Is the Intergraph plant inside the city limits? Even with the stipulations listed, I don't see how any of them would be violated while flying at Intergraph or any large/open space within the city limits. You are not flying over any buildings, no neighborhoods to disturb (noise), not in the flight path of the airport, off the shelf transmitters do not transmit in the emergency RF range, and we ALWAYS follow manufacturer's safety guidelines . The harming of wildlife could potentially be an issue. Maybe the safety of spectators or other pilots in the area could arguably be an issue as well. I guess if the fun police want to poop on someones parade, they're gonna...
Parksinatree is offline Find More Posts by Parksinatree
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:00 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,391 Posts
As far as I know, Intergraph is in the Madison City Limits. Whether it's on the airport flight path or such, I have no idea.

I investigated this new ordinance upon hearing a rumor. Until I found the draft, I had no way of knowing the specifics. Now even with the draft, I don't know how that compares with the existing nuisance ordinance, with the AMA suggestions, etc. etc. One cost of Liberty is constant vigilance for what's being plotted and planned and proposed by our Government!
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:18 PM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,547 Posts
I wonder if Huntsville has a similar ordinance already in effect
cmala is offline Find More Posts by cmala
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:36 PM
just go FLY !!
Jasper, TN
Joined May 2004
1,176 Posts
come on Renegades...you know you're gonna fly in Madison anyway. live up to your name, stand tall, grip those transmitters tightly, and fly your rc planes !!!!
brn-grose is offline Find More Posts by brn-grose
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:35 AM
Pen
FPWhat?
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Sep 2008
1,645 Posts
They'll take my transmitter when they pry it out of my cold dead hands
Pen is offline Find More Posts by Pen
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:55 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen View Post
They'll take my transmitter when they pry it out of my cold dead hands
Oh just give them time...
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:50 AM
I write... technically.
United States, AL, Madison
Joined Feb 2013
1 Posts
New Flyer

Hey Guys,

I just got started in R/C airplanes and I just have a couple electric park flyers, but I've been having a hard time nailing down a good wide open space. After browsing the forums for a while I think I've whittled it down to Intergraph... then I saw this thread about potential bans!

Are people still flying @ Intergraph as of Feb 2013?

Thanks!
Floribama is offline Find More Posts by Floribama
Old Feb 21, 2013, 01:29 PM
What Canary?
Huntsville, AL USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,735 Posts
Yep, still flying there. In fact, this Saturday morning is looking good weather-wise.

Keith
KeithK is offline Find More Posts by KeithK