HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:16 PM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Oct 2008
1,577 Posts
"Let us cross over to the other side and rest under the shade of the trees."

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDme3D View Post
Over there is what we talked about earlier trill.. Nobody will post links, big brother is always watching!
Thanks!
Trill is offline Find More Posts by Trill
Last edited by Trill; Oct 15, 2012 at 12:12 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:58 PM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trill View Post
Well, I'm leaning more towards precision than 3D nowadays, but I want the plane to do it all and do it all well! Accordingly, the 65" Vyper could be my next acquisition.

What do you want your 50" plane to do? If you want the ultimate 3D machines the
48" Edge and 51" Slick will make you happy. If you want more precision, the 48" Super Vyper is likely the way to go.
Sadly, nobody would accuse me of precision flying :-)
What I'm really looking for is a nice mix - I'd like to be able to really practice up on 3D moves, but also get a little precision in around the edges. Slow and low(ish) is where I'd like to spend more time than high and fast.
From your description it sounds like the edge or slick is what I want.
Thanks!
AeroKen is offline Find More Posts by AeroKen
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:14 PM
ride hard and fly low
Joined Aug 2011
585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroKen View Post
Sadly, nobody would accuse me of precision flying :-)
What I'm really looking for is a nice mix - I'd like to be able to really practice up on 3D moves, but also get a little precision in around the edges. Slow and low(ish) is where I'd like to spend more time than high and fast.
From your description it sounds like the edge or slick is what I want.
Thanks!
Slow and low is what the Edge (41", 48" or the 58") does best.
H.D. is offline Find More Posts by H.D.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:37 PM
Joined Oct 2008
1,577 Posts
Keeping the Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.D. View Post
Slow and low is what the Edge (41", 48" or the 58") does best.
+1

Also, the 48" Edge is awesome in inverted harrier and flatspins and it uses HS65MG servos versus the HS85MG servos recommended for the 51" Slick.

On the other hand, as one proficient in landing you might prefer the carbon landing gear of the 51" Slick over the wire landing gear of the 48" Edge.

From what you wrote, you'll enjoy the 58" Edge even more than the 48" Edge or 51" Slick. If you want to stay within the size range you specified, I'd go with the 48" Edge.

Watch some of Wamsy's videos flying the 48" Edge and you will not want to wait until next spring to fly one!
Last edited by Trill; Oct 14, 2012 at 11:27 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:12 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,268 Posts
Quote:
Well, as a guy who is putting in more stick time than me on the Extra, do you agree that the Extra is more well mannered than the Slick?
That has been my impression of Extras vs Slicks, yes. I also felt the Slick was almost TOO floaty for me, while all my Extras feel just right. I felt comfortable doing low and slow with my 51'' Slick right away but it took a while to get used to everything else. While with Extras i usually feel comfortable by the 2nd flight. We'll see if the 71'' changes my mind but if not i'll just sell it and get a 50cc Extra

I think if i set my 71'' up on the heavy side it will be more my style. There is a point for me that it gets a little too floaty.
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:13 PM
Santi
United States, MO, Clayton
Joined Nov 2003
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
That has been my impression of Extras vs Slicks, yes. I also felt the Slick was almost TOO floaty for me, while all my Extras feel just right. I felt comfortable doing low and slow with my 51'' Slick right away but it took a while to get used to everything else. While with Extras i usually feel comfortable by the 2nd flight. We'll see if the 71'' changes my mind but if not i'll just sell it and get a 50cc Extra
Good news is, if you do decide to sell it, it'll probably last about 20 minutes in the classifieds!
DaaBears is online now Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:17 PM
Team Twisted!
Joined Dec 2011
4,268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDme3D View Post
Good news is, if you do decide to sell it, it'll probably last about 20 minutes in the classifieds!
Ahaha that's what i was thinking
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:20 PM
ex-noob
Sammamish, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2010
2,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dth7 View Post
I'm cutting in here. New to thread with a 48" Edge that I love but the sale on the 59" Slick has my trigger finger itching to pull! I am looking for something to fly a bit "heavier" than the Edge and bring me to the next level. I'd say after about 11 months back in the hobby after 15 years I am an intermediate+ on sport and 3D flying with hovers, blenders, poptops, KE, KE spins, etc all under my belt. Rollers are sketchy. Very comfortable but still getting used to the Edge. Would like to stay on a 4S set up using 2200-4400 mAh. The Hacker A40-12S is out of stock. Will the A40-10S with a 14x7 prop give enough punch to get me to the next level of 3D? Thanks for any feedback on the plane and recommended setups. Love flying low and 3DHS!
Daren, Greenland, NH
If you want a rockin' 4s setup, do yourself a favor and get the Motrofly 4315 714Kv with the fiberglass x-mount. It is the ticket on the 59" Slick with a 15x7 Xoar electric. You can't go wrong with this setup.
Lardog is online now Find More Posts by Lardog
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:24 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,158 Posts
Quote:
I have only a dozen or so flights on my electric 87" SHP because so far I did not care for the transportation and setup time at the flying field.
I would think something to consider before purchasing a 50cc plane. However I fine putting the wings on my 87 just as quick as a 72 , 51 or 42.

Quote:
after flying it I chose to go with the 59" Slick as my new "take me to the next level" mid sized electric.
my 87 is my next level plane. it allows me to get out of my normal comfort zone....which is a good thing
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:26 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,158 Posts
Quote:
Anyone wanna trade their 72 extra for my 71 slick?
heck yea!!! oh wait, I have taken my 72 out of the box and flown it...have to pass.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:51 PM
Joined Oct 2008
1,577 Posts
59 and below fit in the vehicle with the wings on

[QUOTE=robj;23003086]I would think something to consider before purchasing a 50cc plane.
Transporting is no problem. Loading and unloading is what I don't like to do and I am in this hobby for fun!

However I find putting the wings on my 87 just as quick as a 72 , 51 or 42.
You also have to secure the canopy with two nylon bolts on my 87. Also, I like to make sure the batteries are secure with four straps so that I don't have a Daniel Holman XFC type battery ejection. I don't need to do any of the above with my 59" and less WS planes.

When I get to the flying field at 0 dark thirty and thirty five degrees (the Army in me still comes out), I don't want to lose any time fiddling around. That's why the battery is already in my 59" or less WS planes and all I have to do is turn the transmitter on, plug battery to ESC, do preflight checks and start having fun!
Last edited by Trill; Oct 15, 2012 at 02:12 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:14 PM
Joined Oct 2008
1,577 Posts
Airframe is important, but your setup is critical!

Quote:
I think if i set my 71'' up on the heavy side it will be more my style. There is a point for me that it gets a little too floaty.
You are way ahead of me. It took me two years into this hobby before I realised that the type of plane and type of setup had to be personalized to me and not to the likes of the "experts" who were advising me. Most of these "experts" though well meaning did not have 3D airplanes or 3D experience. Providentially, one of those experts happened to be a former pattern contest judge and superb on setting up a plane. He also was owner of the local hobby shop!

Based on what you wrote about the Slick being too floaty for your style, you will like the 71" Slick on an 8S setup. The 71 handles weight well, but it does fly differently with more weight.

Also, you can move your center of gravity forward and keep all the 3D fun by increasing your control surface throws. If you need to increase the gap to get seventy degrees of throw on the elevator, then sealing the control surfaces now serves two purposes. And if you reduce your exponential... Well, you get the idea.
Last edited by Trill; Oct 15, 2012 at 07:54 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:52 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,187 Posts
Quote:
You are way ahead of me. It took me two years into this hobby before I realised that the type plane and type of setup had to be personalized to me and not to the likes of the "experts" who were advising me. Most of these "experts" though well meaning did not have 3D airplanes or 3D experience.

Based on what you wrote about the Slick being too floaty for your style, you will like the 71" Slick on an 8S setup. The 71 handles weight well, but it does fly differently with more weight.

Also, you can move your center of gravity forward and keep all the 3D fun by increasing your control throws. And if you reduce your exponential... Well, you get the idea.

when I started I went out of my way to replicate the setups of those like Scott and AJ who had the flying skills that I wanted to replicate. Pick a person who flies the way you want to fly, copy their way of doing things. This was simply to reduce the variables. If I could remove the variables of the setup, then then only thing that was preventing me from flying like those guys is me and my own flying skill. With the attitude that with practice I can improve my flying skills, and if set up right it should be the only variable I had left in my way stopping me from reaching my goals.

...if I didn't have a replication of their setup, then it means that I had to fly differently. and I didn't want to fly differently, I wanted to fly like them

This also dove-tailed the way I was taught graphics and illustration... especially hand drawing things like comics: copy other people's work relentlessly, your own style and craft will come in time, the only thing between you and that goal is practice.

So for me, replicating setups and simply getting as much practice as possible helped me out immensely. Also meant that when I did get a chance to fly planes owned by those who I wanted to emulate, I was comfortable with their planes and could appreciate the differences.

Also keep in mind that when it comes to many things, a setup that helps one maneuver will hinder another. For example, anyone who is flying a tail heavy plane because they feel it helps them hover, they're then having to fight much more pitch coupling in knife edge flight, a plane that isn't tracking as well and also has a higher degree of pitch sensitivity. When you change a setup detail for one reason or another, it's likely that it's making the learning curve on other maneuvers much steeper. Is again a reason that I replicated setups of others flying in the way in which I wanted to replicate; have them decide where the middle ground was. thanks to copying Scott and AJ, I've never had to move my CofG location preference whether flying precision or 3D.

In copying their setups I also never really had to question the reason why I could or couldn't do a maneuver as the answer was always my flying ability...
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:22 AM
Team Twisted!
Joined Dec 2011
4,268 Posts
It's definitely nice getting advice from the pros but i usually start with the recommended and adjust to what is good for me, using the advice of the pros to make it fly how i want. I ALWAYS set my CG slightly forward of neutral for best tracking(also thanks to Scott and AJ). If i feel it's too floaty i try and add some weight, if it's a rock(never had one of those from 3DHS )i try and shave some weight off.

What having a setup like the pros does is give confidence to fly without worrying about your setup. "If he can do it, i can do it!" but i still prefer to adjust to make it fly how i want it to fly. AJ and Scott won't be flying my plane(it would be cool if they did though ), i will, so i set them up to fly how i like it
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:07 AM
Team 3DHS
Nashville , Tennessee
Joined Jan 2009
5,477 Posts
Setup is very critical, but it depends on the pilot.

My setups are suited for me, and no one else. So what I recommend is not to go exactly with what the "experts" use. You should at first to get the airplane flyable, and then adapt it to yourself. Adjust the expo so you are always comfortable. It will take some time to get it perfect, but don't set it and forget it. If you spend the time to setup the plane with detail, you will find yourself enjoying it more and flying it harder.
wamsy55 is offline Find More Posts by wamsy55