HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 15, 2011, 10:19 AM
Flying electric since 1986
USA, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Oct 2000
1,764 Posts
Build Log
1/9 Grumman Avenger build (Skyshark Kit)

I've decided to clear off my bench and start a fresh project for this winter. I knew I wanted a warbird and the recent 70th anniversary of Pearl Harbor got me thinking of the Pacific war. After some searching I decided that this winter's project will be the Skyshark 1/9 TMB Avenger. The Skyshark kits have an excellent reputation for design and quality. Several of them have long been on my "someday" list and thought I'd missed my chance a few years ago when the kits became unavailable. Luckily for us, Skyshark has brought them back and I wasn't going to miss this second opportunity to grab one.

The kit arrived quickly and well packed. After looking over the plans and supplied parts I don't see the need for any major changes to lighten the design for electric. The only modification I see will be for battery mounting and access and otherwise I plan to build the model per the plans and very nice instructions included with the kit.

Kit specs:

1/9th Scale
Wingspan: 72"
Wing Area: 906 Sq. In.
Length: 54"
Flying Weight: 9-12 lbs

The projected power system is a Scorpion 4025-16 on 7s turning a near scale (~16") three bladed prop. The model will have functioning flaps and retractable landing gear (including tailwheel). No bomb bay, it's not included in the kit design and I don't plan to add it.

Construction begins with the control surfaces and horizontal stab. No issues so far. The stab is finished and the elevators are hinged. I still need to attach and shape the elevator tips and control tabs.
Mark Wolf is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wolf
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stevens Aeromodel Skybuggy 100
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2011, 04:56 PM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Central And Western District
Joined May 2001
5,752 Posts
Hi Mark, that's a nice winter project, always the best looking 'scale' wise of the Skyshark kits IMO. Looking forward to seeing her progress. I've heard these are very nice kits to build.

Have you thought about what retracts you'll be fitting yet? How are you enjoying the build so far, it looks like it should just fall together.

All the best

s.
stuart warne is online now Find More Posts by stuart warne
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Savex Spitfire Progress
Old Dec 15, 2011, 05:15 PM
USA, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Oct 2000
1,764 Posts
I'll be using springair retracts with Shinden Machine struts for the mains and a Robart retractable tail wheel.

So far I'm very happy with the kit. Some of the laser cut slots and tabs don't fit quite as tightly as say, a Stevens Aeromodel kit, but the parts fit is still very good. Nothing in the design seems over built or in need of redesign for e-power. I'm still debating a few options for battery access which is the only thing keeping the model from being electric ready out of the box, IMO.

I started work on the center wing section this morning. There are several parts that need to be laminated with ply doublers before the wing can be framed up. Pics soon.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Mark Wolf; Dec 15, 2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 08:31 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,554 Posts
This will be an interesting build. The Avenger has always been a popular subject.
Looking forward to watching your progress Mark.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Dec 16, 2011, 09:02 AM
MPP
In Unusual Attitude Recovery
Danbury CT (DXR)
Joined Oct 2005
2,152 Posts
Have fun, great project. I just finished a Micro Avenger, Grumman sure made some classics. I'm along for the ride.

Best,

M
MPP is offline Find More Posts by MPP
Old Dec 17, 2011, 03:34 PM
USA, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Oct 2000
1,764 Posts
Glad to see there are a few people interested in following along. I just wish I could crank out models with the quality and efficiency that you do J!

Wing construction begins with laminating ply supports for the landing gear and flap servo mounts to the wing ribs and assembling the main spar. Next you can dry fit the center wing section together then glue once everything is in position over the plans.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2011, 03:48 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Oct 2004
1,896 Posts
Very cool Mark, I look forward to seeing you progress on this one. The Avenger is a great subject.

D-Rock
D-Rock is online now Find More Posts by D-Rock
Old Dec 17, 2011, 05:31 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,554 Posts
That workbench is going to have to get a whole lot messier for sure.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Dec 17, 2011, 10:27 PM
USA, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Oct 2000
1,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan View Post
That workbench is going to have to get a whole lot messier for sure.

J
LOL! Check back with me later in the project.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2011, 08:17 AM
USA, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Oct 2000
1,764 Posts
After a few hours of indoor flying with my local club last night I came home and did some more work on the TBM. With the LE in place the wing panel was stable enough to remove from the board and flip over to fit the 1/4" ply landing gear mounts and test fit the gear for the first time. Next I'll turn it back over, add some cross-grain triangle stock to reenforce the gear mounts and sheet the upper wing.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2011, 03:59 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,809 Posts
Nice progress Mark! The Avenger has always been a favorite and at the size your building, it should be a great flyer. Its also the perfect candidate for a Vario prop, with scale blades and pitch adjustable to tune that Scorpion for max efficiency! I look forward to seeing your build come together. Doug B
Doug Bartley is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
Old Dec 18, 2011, 05:22 PM
USA, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Oct 2000
1,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Bartley View Post
Nice progress Mark! The Avenger has always been a favorite and at the size your building, it should be a great flyer. Its also the perfect candidate for a Vario prop, with scale blades and pitch adjustable to tune that Scorpion for max efficiency! I look forward to seeing your build come together. Doug B
I'd love to hang a Vario on her. Wow, they get expensive in this size though. If I'm looking at their site correctly it'd be $150+. Not out of the question, but I never thought I'd pay that much for a prop. Long way to go before I need to worry about that though.

Not much progress today, I had to go to my Grandmother's for Christmas today. I did get the LG reenforcement done and the center wing skins edge glued. They're curing now and I'll sheet the upper wing in the morning.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2011, 12:15 PM
USA, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Oct 2000
1,764 Posts
I skinned the top surface of the center wing this morning between Christmas shopping trips. Standard deal, I trued the edges of the sheeting and edge glued them before applying the sheet to the wing.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2011, 08:54 AM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Central And Western District
Joined May 2001
5,752 Posts
Nice progress mark, I'm found of the few hours in the evening too, good building time.

BTW is that a magnetic building board? I currently used a building board I made up with cork board stuck onto a sheet of plaster boards. Its served me well for a good few years but is getting a little 'worn' now, so I've been looking for my next one. Are they any good? Sorry to go off topics, yours just caught my eye.

S.
stuart warne is online now Find More Posts by stuart warne
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Savex Spitfire Progress
Old Dec 20, 2011, 09:49 AM
Fly, dangit!!!
Little Rock, AR USA
Joined Jan 2007
1,050 Posts
Mark - Signing on, the Avenger has always been a favorite of mine. It really looks impressive so far!

I would like to build something like this some day, although it's very intimidating for a noob like me. I think that I might build up the courage to attempt a build of this magnitude someday, although I don't know if I could ever bring myself to fly something this big.

Another question if you don't mind indulging a beginner, about how much does it take to put a bird of this caliber together? The kit itself is no small investment, then an appropriate radio system, retracts, a decent motor, etc, I'm sure it adds up quick! I'm just not as familiar with the type gear that a bird like this deserves.

J. B.
Led Zepplin is offline Find More Posts by Led Zepplin