HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2011, 07:18 PM
Eliot, ME
Joined Nov 2010
60 Posts
Discussion
new to 2.4

hey yall i have a question i have always flown with 72 MHZ and i pulled out my old radio and its broke but i have all my airplanes wired with reg standered servos if i get a 2.4 ghz radio will my older servos work on the new recivers
f16dc is offline Find More Posts by f16dc
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2011, 07:24 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Jun 2007
341 Posts
Yes...Watch your batteries
Codimasta is online now Find More Posts by Codimasta
Old Jan 04, 2011, 04:17 PM
Eliot, ME
Joined Nov 2010
60 Posts
what about the batterys
Old Jan 04, 2011, 05:54 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,472 Posts
2.4 radios tend to be more demanding when it comes to receiver batteries. Moreover, 5-cell is pretty much standard now. Your old batteries may be getting tired or otherwise be unsuitable.

Of course, if you fly electric, the issue for the radio is not the battery but the ability of the ESC to deliver good power to the receiver.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Jan 04, 2011, 06:06 PM
Eliot, ME
Joined Nov 2010
60 Posts
thats some good info i am building a eletric so this esc thing is all new to me but thats another thread
Old Jan 05, 2011, 06:16 PM
Eliot, ME
Joined Nov 2010
60 Posts
another question bought a spektrum today no can i only use spektrum recivers or is it like the old recivers were any one will work
Old Jan 05, 2011, 11:29 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by f16dc View Post
another question bought a spektrum today no can i only use spektrum recivers or is it like the old recivers were any one will work
Like other 2.4 systems, Spektrum transmitters only work with their own receivers (or with compatibles such as
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11965).

You also need to make sure you select a receiver suited to the type of aircraft. The AR6110 and the various clones are intended for use in "park fliers", small to medium electric models. Larger models flown at greater distances, and any models with IC engines require full range receivers like the AR500 or AR6200.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Jan 06, 2011, 07:53 PM
Eliot, ME
Joined Nov 2010
60 Posts
thanks for the help this is all so new
Old Jan 07, 2011, 05:00 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
2.4 radios tend to be more demanding when it comes to receiver batteries. Moreover, 5-cell is pretty much standard now. Your old batteries may be getting tired or otherwise be unsuitable.

Of course, if you fly electric, the issue for the radio is not the battery but the ability of the ESC to deliver good power to the receiver.
That really depends on the brand. I fly Futaba FASST all the time with a 4.8v NiCad or NiMh pack had have never had a problem. From what I have read Spektrum seams to be the works for having problems with 4.8v batteries.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jan 07, 2011, 11:48 AM
USA
Joined Sep 2003
967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
That really depends on the brand. I fly Futaba FASST all the time with a 4.8v NiCad or NiMh pack had have never had a problem. From what I have read Spektrum seams to be the works for having problems with 4.8v batteries.

Perhaps you don't understand.
I think Daedalus66 is referring to the type (linear or switching) as well as the current capacity capabilitiesof the BEC.

Perhaps you do not fly electric and therefore do not see the meaning.

BTW I haven't flown anything under six volts for a long, long time ! That includes FM/PCM.
All of our competition pilots have been using six volts for many years.
That was well before Spektrum's introduction of 2.4GHz full range in 2006 or of Futaba's first introduction of 2.4GHz about year later.

As you apparently are not aware a number of Spektrum set ups do quite nicely on 4.8volts. We have one guy with a 35% Bipe (all digitals) who is using it successfully but, it is a 2400mah capacity pack.
I have talked to him a number of times but his reply is not easy to refute. "It works for me".
He checks voltage under load before each flight.
We have zero Futaba set ups operating below six volts here.
Then again we went from 60% Futaba 40% all others to over 80% Spektrum and all others (Futaba---we have no HiTec and no Airtronics) at 20% or under.

Both Spektrum/JR DSM2 and Futaba FASST are operating flawlessly here.
We have roughly ten clubs in the immediate area so we have adequate numbers from which to draw conclusions.
onewasp is offline Find More Posts by onewasp
Old Jan 08, 2011, 09:23 AM
Tennessee
Joined Sep 2003
2,335 Posts
The receiver voltage problem is not so simple. ANY receiver that uses computer technology CANNOT stand voltage spikes for even a fraction of a second below the critical voltage will reboot the receiver. This also applies to many of the more modern 72 receivers as well as PCM and 2.4 receivers. I fly my RES sailplanes that still uses analog servos on four cell nicad battery without problems but will switch to five cell packs if I am ever forced to use digial servos.
ChuckA is offline Find More Posts by ChuckA
Old Jan 08, 2011, 10:05 AM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
North Tustin, CA
Joined Oct 2008
1,785 Posts
Another data point for you: In the handlaunch glider community, small (250-400 mAh) 4-cell NiMh is used extensively, even with digital servos. It works fine - good enough to trust it in $1000+ planes. Just be sure to have a low-voltage alarm, or put it on the charger regularly. This is more than a "it works for me" thing - it works for LOTS of people.

In my FASST setup, my digital servos will cut out before the radio stops working. IMHO, receivers are pretty robust (I also think the "low voltage issue" with Spektrum was a red-herring - people blamed the battery because they couldn't see another cause). Noisy regulators/ESCs are another story...
MattN is online now Find More Posts by MattN
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2011, 12:00 PM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,233 Posts
ChuckA, True, the receivers do reboot, but fortunately they reboot so fast that it can happen without any indication of a problem in flight. Many DSM2 users are alerted to the fact that their receiver rebooted for some reason during a flight, by the telltale blinking LED on the receiver when they land.
Take any model with a DSM2, FASST, or Airtronics 2.4Ghz receiver, blip the power to the receiver, see how fast it recovers (assuming the DSM2 receiver is current firmware level), virtually instantaneous with any one of them.
Now for those of us who fly electrics, running a BEC that's overloaded, that's a sure fire lock out, or more correctly, a blackout in this case. Inevitably a bad ending, no matter what radio you use
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2