deleted... redundant
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2011, 04:49 PM
RC pilot by soul
Israel
Joined Apr 2005
2,493 Posts
Can anyone recommend a good and cheap wide angle lens for the 808 #11 cam ?
i3dm is offline Find More Posts by i3dm
Old Jun 20, 2011, 05:20 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i3dm View Post
Can anyone recommend a good and cheap wide angle lens for the 808 #11 cam ?
Search this thread for "wide lens" and look in the FAQs in post #3
Old Jun 20, 2011, 05:23 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post
Hobby King has some (supposedly) 240 mAh 1s lipos for $1.82, but doesn't appear to have the LVC protection PCB. The reviews indicates that the actual capacity is more realistically around 180 mAh. (but the measurements were made at a much higher Amp draw than what the #11 uses.)

The size seems to be very close.

KC

Edit: Has anyone charged a depleted OEM #11 lipo with an external charger to see what the actual capacity is?
Yes... some tests were done when when the external battery packs were being tested. I forget exactly what I measured... slightly less than the advertised capacity, but more than 180 mAh. You can do a search to find the external battery posts if you need more accurate numbers.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 05:27 PM
RC pilot by soul
Israel
Joined Apr 2005
2,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Search this thread for "wide lens" and look in the FAQs in post #3
oe do i search this thread only ?
i3dm is offline Find More Posts by i3dm
Old Jun 20, 2011, 05:28 PM
a.d.m.i.n
Joined Jan 2011
428 Posts
Anyone know if there would be any new version of this camera, maybe with video out, 1080p ?
reptor is offline Find More Posts by reptor
Old Jun 20, 2011, 05:31 PM
Episyrphus balteatus
Sweden
Joined Dec 2008
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcNutDave View Post
YES, these are LIPO's
They are?! In the picture in post #2 it says Lithium-Ion (LiIo) not Lithium-Polymer (LiPo).

For those of us that are planing to not use the original case the physical size of the battery is not that important. As long as the voltage is correct any mA is good. Really big mA numbers would be good for continuous recording...if this will be a future feature.

Question is how will the USB-charging inflict with a LiPo (if the original is not a LiPO)? Im thinking of having a simple connector between the #11 and the battery so I can use my regular LiPo-charger but what will connecting the #11 via USB do to the LiPo?.
Paxman is offline Find More Posts by Paxman
Old Jun 20, 2011, 05:43 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normandy5 View Post
If you like the #11 you probably won't be interested in the #13.

The FPS is only 15 but the missing frame rate is zero, the image sensor seems to be 1920x1080 and the AVI file is 1920x1080.

It has a slightly different case than the #11 but is about the same size.

Preliminary information comes from one outdoor video sample provided by a camera seller. Although the video exposure is dark and high contrast, the video frames are sharp and the shutter speed is much faster than the FPS.

Information about camera features like composite video output and battery life are unknown until somebody does some bench tests.

www.chucklohr.com/808/C13

-- Chuck at www.chucklohr.com/808
Thanks for the heads up, Chuck. We definitely want to know whats new or better in the #11 camera's class.

I D/L the video clip from the link you gave and ran it through G-spot (report image below). As I suspected, the video codec is MJPEG, not H.264. And the video bit rate averaged a tick less than 18,000 kbps to capture the larger amount (2.25 times more) data per frame, with no dropped frames as you mentioned. So it's no surprise the frame rate had to be dropped to 15 fps to do that.

For AV purposes, my take on this new camera is:

The Good:
  • The price point is a tick LESS than the #11 ($38 US delivered)
  • The larger frame size almost fills up my widescreen monitor at it's native resolution (with no upsizing)
The Bad:
  • The file size is a little over twice as large as the #11 for the same duration video
  • Even though this camera has a higher density CMOS sensor, the lens still produces some light drop-off and discoloration at the right/left frame edges, just like the #11
  • The image detail appears to be no better (and maybe a little worse, if not focus related) than the #11.
  • There is a sudden exposure shift (image darkening) when the image panned to a much darker area in the example.
  • Even though my video players will play the native .AVI file, some editors may not be able to edit it (e.g. Vdub will load it, but complains it can't edit a file with a frame dimension not divisable by 16... i.e. 1080). AviDemux, WLMM, VideoPad, MAGIC MEP17+ work fine, though.
The Ugly
  • The 15 fps is unwatchable to my eye with even a small amount of motion in the frame (objects moving or panning)
The Potential
  • If the firmware could be toggled to subsample this larger CMOS array at 1280x720 frame size at 30 fps, this could reduce the recorded image size such that it is inside the vignetting of the lens, and produce an image that is much more uniform in color and brightness and focus across the entire recorded frame... something that could make this better than the #11 is now.
FWIW, the developer of the #11 recently told me he is developing a 1080p camera that could be ready within a month or two. I don't know if this might be the prototype or not... the eBay seller is not one of his that market the #11, but he has a couple other sellers and was developing other sales outlets. I gave him early feedback on the issues of 1080HD video that mimick my observations of this one I outlined above.

Also FWIW, I do like to see a post that gives readers a heads up on new competing or better products in this size and price range. But I do not plan to support this new camera in this thread, and do not encourage more posts or more video samples from it here. It only confuses the discussion of the #11. Other different cameras should have their own support threads IMHO.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 05:47 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,686 Posts
Quote:
Yes.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 05:50 PM
AMA Member since 1984
Joined Jan 2010
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxman View Post
They are?! In the picture in post #2 it says Lithium-Ion (LiIo) not Lithium-Polymer (LiPo).

For those of us that are planing to not use the original case the physical size of the battery is not that important. As long as the voltage is correct any mA is good. Really big mA numbers would be good for continuous recording...if this will be a future feature.

Question is how will the USB-charging inflict with a LiPo (if the original is not a LiPO)? Im thinking of having a simple connector between the #11 and the battery so I can use my regular LiPo-charger but what will connecting the #11 via USB do to the LiPo?.
They are indeed LIPO.

These #11's are supposed to have a CC/CV charging chip onboard similar
to the MCP73811. Google that number and look at data sheets.

Look at lines 9 & 10 on attached pic

LION is usually metal cased like the batt's in a laptop. Looks like a large
AA battery, round and long.
LIPO are in poly sacks like shown in pics for cam. Flat and wide.
RcNutDave is offline Find More Posts by RcNutDave
Last edited by RcNutDave; Jun 20, 2011 at 06:24 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 05:50 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptor View Post
Anyone know if there would be any new version of this camera, maybe with video out, 1080p ?
Video out - not planned that I know of.
1080p - yes... one is under development right now, but it will likely be a different camera... in the size range of the Jumbo #11's I think. And with different hardware and firmware, it will deserve it's own thread, so will not be supported in this one.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 06:05 PM
AMA Member since 1984
Joined Jan 2010
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
........ And with different hardware and firmware, it will deserve it's own thread, so will not be supported in this one.
Well Tom, you have plenty of time on youe hands. Guess you'll just
have to run that one too
Old Jun 20, 2011, 06:11 PM
Episyrphus balteatus
Sweden
Joined Dec 2008
183 Posts
Quote:
I guess you are asking how you search this thread only? In the blue bar there is a selection "Search this thread". Click it and the search form will appear.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 06:22 PM
Episyrphus balteatus
Sweden
Joined Dec 2008
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcNutDave View Post
They are indeed LIPO.

These #11's are supposed to have a CC/CV charging chip onboard similar
to the MCP73811. Google that number and look at data sheets.

Look at lines 9 & 10 on attached pic

LION is usually metal cased like the batt's in a laptop. Looks like a large
AA battery, round and long.
LIPO are in poly sacks like shown in pics for cam. Flat and wide.
Well then...its settled! I guess that we are talking about a one cell LiPo, 3,7 V? Here is one with 340% more capacity for $3.67!
Old Jun 20, 2011, 06:37 PM
AMA Member since 1984
Joined Jan 2010
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxman View Post
Well then...its settled! I guess that we are talking about a one cell LiPo, 3,7 V? Here is one with 340% more capacity for $3.67!

I'm going this route:::::
[URL]http://cgi.ebay.com/270765012218?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2F i.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm570.l2736%26_nkw %3D270765012218%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1[/URL

Along with this::::::

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_rdcZ1QQitemZ160605027176QQruZh ttpQ3aQ2fQ2fshopQ2eebayQ2ecomQ3a80Q2fiQ2ehtmlQ3fQ5 ffromQ3dR40Q26Q5ftrksidQ3dm570Q2el2736Q26Q5fnkwQ3d 160605027176Q26Q5ffviQ3d1
Closed Thread