HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 03, 2012, 03:31 PM
aka JetMan Joe
Joined Feb 2010
2,661 Posts
Hey guy's the Slick is finished but I need some feedback regarding the balancing. Using the method of hanging it by the spar tube the nose dips about as much as it shows in the manual (gas tank filled). Because it was coming out nose heavy you can see how I put everything towards the back. However when I try double checking by suspending it 4-5" back on the wing tips it appears tail heavy. Which method should I trust?!

(BTW, a shout out to Cry for giving me a bunch of the braided wire cover, it's excellent at protecting the wires from chafing!)
MCSGUY is offline Find More Posts by MCSGUY
Last edited by MCSGUY; Nov 03, 2012 at 03:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2012, 03:42 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,854 Posts
I thought I'd stop by to ask this question... might be a longshot considering the location, but a friend of mine has a son in the Nevato, CA, area who flew years ago (he's probably in his mid-40's now), then got into racing cars (full scale), and how has a young family and is looking to get back into flying. He's interested in the 50cc - 120cc size 3D/extreme aerobatic airplanes and I'm trying to help him find a club that's 3D-friendly in northern California. I'd appreciate any help you can give me.

Second, I finally got around to getting the Javascript done for the PropEngine, so it's back up and has a new home: http://rcwebclub.com/PropEngine.aspx
Aeroplayin is online now Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2012, 03:48 PM
ex-noob
Sammamish, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2010
2,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin View Post
I thought I'd stop by to ask this question... might be a longshot considering the location, but a friend of mine has a son in the Nevato, CA, area who flew years ago (he's probably in his mid-40's now), then got into racing cars (full scale), and how has a young family and is looking to get back into flying. He's interested in the 50cc - 120cc size 3D/extreme aerobatic airplanes and I'm trying to help him find a club that's 3D-friendly in northern California. I'd appreciate any help you can give me.
Considering there is a whole state + (~800 miles) between us here in Seattle and Novato, CA, I'm not sure you're going to find any assistance from this group.

Good luck though.
Lardog is online now Find More Posts by Lardog
Old Nov 03, 2012, 03:54 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,854 Posts
Yeah, I thought it would be a longshot, but if anyone knows of guys coming up your way, like for IMAC competitions, Huckfests... I think a few guys come up from as far south as San Diego for events... so maybe someone from the Bay area, or Sacremento, knows of a club. Thanks, anyway.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2012, 08:25 PM
Joined Apr 2008
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSGUY View Post
Hey guy's the Slick is finished but I need some feedback regarding the balancing. Using the method of hanging it by the spar tube the nose dips about as much as it shows in the manual (gas tank filled). Because it was coming out nose heavy you can see how I put everything towards the back. However when I try double checking by suspending it 4-5" back on the wing tips it appears tail heavy. Which method should I trust?!

(BTW, a shout out to Cry for giving me a bunch of the braided wire cover, it's excellent at protecting the wires from chafing!)

i would start by putting the canopy on. that would make a difference. and ive always measured from the wing tips. not sure if it makes a difference
harv_d is offline Find More Posts by harv_d
Old Nov 03, 2012, 09:23 PM
aka JetMan Joe
Joined Feb 2010
2,661 Posts
That's what's confusing. The manual says it shouldn't be different but it is. I'll put the canopy on and use the wing tips. Thanks!
Old Nov 03, 2012, 11:04 PM
Gone Gas! / Gone Crazy?
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Sep 2012
952 Posts
Quote:
That's what's confusing. The manual says it shouldn't be different but it is. I'll put the canopy on and use the wing tips. Thanks!
The Slick looks Beautiful Joe.

I don't fly gas but I have always had the best luck measuring CG balance with the plane set up to fly. As Harv indicated canopy on, in my case measuring at the wing cord at the fuselage root using a cg machine/tool. I then separately measure left / right balance using a piece of string attached to the freely rotating nose cone & and looped around the tail section behind the canopy.

Then the real work begins when I start flying as I then dial in the CG, setup & trim based on my flying style, following a specific flight test protocol. Here is a link to a great examplehttp://trabucorcflyers.com/uploads/T..._RC_Flight.pdf

Throughout last year as I pushed myself into new & unfamiliar 3D territory, I zeroed my trims & sub-trims. re-measured cg & repeated the flight test sequence to dial it in again and again. I wanted to start to feel & see the subtle setup differences. In my opinion Kody is one of the best in the Mob at the CG & trim setup art. I always quietly have my eye on him, watching & listening to learn something new.
Mr Whirl is offline Find More Posts by Mr Whirl
Last edited by Mr Whirl; Nov 03, 2012 at 11:11 PM.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 11:10 PM
Watts is where its at!
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2004
1,744 Posts
Joe, nose heavy is not a bad thing! Tail heavy is much scarier for a maiden.

Andrew has a quote in the manual: "I prefer the forward rudder servo location with a DA-100 or DA-120 and in-cowl mufflers, this gives me the CG I want, which results in zero pitch coupling in knife-edge flight. I do not rear-mount the rudder servos unless I am running canister exhaust.”

I would move the rudder servos to the rear of the airplane like Andrew is suggests. That will give you the CG you are after. Then the rest of the gear can go in the normal locations and you should have a sweet flying airplane.
racerxky is offline Find More Posts by racerxky
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2012, 12:56 AM
I think I forgot how to fly RC
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,061 Posts
Quote:

I have plenty more if you need to finish off your plane with it.
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Nov 04, 2012, 01:00 AM
Thread Crapper
Lynden, WA
Joined Nov 2000
2,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarl Of Whirl View Post
Rollin Rollin Rollin. the votes just keep rolling in!

(3D/FPV Supportive / RC Groups members):
If you know these guys / gals are MAR/C members encourage them to vote.
blk822
egaus - Voted
Rexor
viperjody
rdjay
Kai_Shiden
QuietRCFly
Jaguar_5
unshackledbuzz
jsomerville
nwsalmon
SabreHawk
flarpy - N/A
ee4air
airmanthesixth
eagle777
JohnVH
SupaTim - N/A
ecaa3d
tconners
Magneto
hcannon98 - Voted
Rudderman98
Sorry, wish I was a member to help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38 View Post
I have plenty more if you need to finish off your plane with it.
Nobody likes chafing!!
JohnVH is offline Find More Posts by JohnVH
Old Nov 04, 2012, 01:01 AM
I think I forgot how to fly RC
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin View Post

Second, I finally got around to getting the Javascript done for the PropEngine, so it's back up and has a new home: http://rcwebclub.com/PropEngine.aspx
at the top of the RCG page above, click "MAPS"
type in Novato and you will see one club just north of Novato near Petaluma, and several just south of Novato
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Nov 04, 2012, 10:24 AM
aka JetMan Joe
Joined Feb 2010
2,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerxky View Post
Andrew has a quote in the manual: "I prefer the forward rudder servo location with a DA-100 or DA-120 and in-cowl mufflers, this gives me the CG I want, which results in zero pitch coupling in knife-edge flight. I do not rear-mount the rudder servos unless I am running canister exhaust.
That's makes me feel better, that's why I had to mount everything rear of the carbon spar tube to get it to hang right. I'm going to relocate the tank in front of the tube so it's sure to favor nose heavy and give it a whirl
Old Nov 04, 2012, 11:27 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
6,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38 View Post
at the top of the RCG page above, click "MAPS"
type in Novato and you will see one club just north of Novato near Petaluma, and several just south of Novato
Thanks, Cry... I sent him the link. His father was an F-16 instructor in the AF and there also seems to be a club at Beale. Maybe that would be a good place to start -- even though the link is broken. He also writes the Rotorspeed heli section for MAN so I'm sure there will be some heli's involved eventually. Thanks, again.

Jim
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2012, 01:58 PM
Sammamish WA
Joined Sep 2003
1,027 Posts
Its warm outside I think I am hitting the club.
pro bro steve is online now Find More Posts by pro bro steve
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:53 PM
Sammamish WA
Joined Sep 2003
1,027 Posts
What happened to the 3 D mob ? Everybody should be posting with all the Halloween candy left over . LOL

Kody you got one nice flying 30 CC Slick there . I found out today about Tims orange 30 CC slick Sorry to here it went in . With your new plane and radio I wish you good luck.
pro bro steve is online now Find More Posts by pro bro steve
Last edited by pro bro steve; Nov 05, 2012 at 11:07 PM.