Old Sep 29, 2013, 04:02 PM
Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
Remember... Fly for fun!
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
6,493 Posts
Help!
MinimOSD with a 4s Set-up

Have run out of money buying Minim OSDs only to fry them.

Have tried all sorts of different wring hook ups and no luck.

Two 3D robotics models and two of the cheaper HK ones.

Am running 4s into Power module with CC10a regulator running off output side of PM. PM plugged into PM port on APM 2.5. Regulator plugged into Output rail side of APM.

Running 800mw 1.3 VTX from a seperate 3s pack, 3s voltage running back to video lead into OSD, then from OSD into camera etc... Telemetry port out of APM into OSD.

Extras: GPS Plugged into GPS Port on APM, EZUHF running PPM signal into input of APM, with jumper in place.

System works well when bypassing OSD, but then I have no OSD obviously.

Above set-up is current set-up.

Previous set-ups:
Running 3s VTX/Camera/OSD power from balance plug on 4s packs (plug set-up using only 3 of the 4 cells on packs. Running 2 4s packs in Parrallel). This seemed the reason of frying 3 of the 4 Minim OSDs. Common ground or something???????
Also used BEC from Controller to power 5v to APM (and onto OSD's 5v side via Telem. port). Thought that may have been a problem so cut positive wire on servo lead and used the afformentioned CC10A BEC.

Next thing I was going to try was using a CC BEC PRO to supply 12v to the 12v systems.

Can someone with any sort of Electronics knowledge please help explain what I am doing wrong? Or suggest possible methods of Fixing??

Really would appreciate any help as I am out of ideas and have spent weeks and hours and many dollars on trying to figure this out.

Do I need to try running a 3s set-up? But my worry then is exceeding the 90A limit of the PM

This video proves system works on above set-up without OSD:

GAP Team - Video #1 (9 min 19 sec)
ALEX HEWSON is online now Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ALEX HEWSON; Sep 29, 2013 at 04:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2013, 08:04 AM
Find More Posts by hangarspace
United Kingdom
Joined May 2013
382 Posts
"with jumper in place."

which jumper, the one on the APM that links output/input sides? If so then I'm pretty sure that is not correct if you supplying power to both the PM port and the output rails.

And you know that some early v1 (?) minimosd's had real problems when feeding 12v thru them for the camera, something about the voltage regulator being crap and overheating.

The advice is to solder the little pads on the minimosd so both sides are powered from APM connection at 5v and then just connect the ground and video feeds from VTX and camera to the output side and finally, feed the camera power direct to it not via the minimosd.

Chris
hangarspace is offline Find More Posts by hangarspace
Old Oct 01, 2013, 08:08 AM
Find More Posts by hangarspace
United Kingdom
Joined May 2013
382 Posts
Should also add, that I found my minimosd run pretty warm so stuck a heatsink across both main chips, probably just peace of mind.
hangarspace is offline Find More Posts by hangarspace
Old Oct 01, 2013, 06:04 PM
Find More Posts by damoz
Australia, VIC, San Remo
Joined May 2010
1,052 Posts
Alex, put a multimeter on the output rail jus to see what's coming out.
Have you fried them with magic smile or just 'bricked' them?
Minimosd just needs power from the APM on one side and 12v on the other.
Using 4S via the PM is not an issue.
What is the regulator for?
Makes no sense why you are losing so many and the only difference between yours and mine is the regulator.
damoz is offline Find More Posts by damoz
Old Oct 01, 2013, 09:25 PM
Find More Posts by chemnut842
United States, MD, North East
Joined Apr 2011
281 Posts
It sounds like you are making a mistake from not paying attention to polarity somewhere - at least for the last fried OSD.

I fried my first minim osd (3dr) for that reason (messed up polarity and saw smoke).

My second one (cheap ebay v0.1) just stopped working after an in-flight reset (chalked that one up to poor QC in the sweatshop). I never could figure that one out... but I just set it aside...

My third and fourth ones are 3dr and are running fine. On one setup, the OSD is powered straight from the APM port. the board is powered by a CC10a regulator, with the jumper set to power both sides of the board.

I am using an attopilot current sensor to monitor 6s.

That setup also features a 12 volt video system running off a 3s lipo - it seems to be doing just fine for about 10 or more flights now.

My other setup which has yet to fry is a bit different. I am using the power module on 4s hooked to the board. I set the jumper to power both sides of the board from the BEC in my esc (it is just a thermal glider so I am not worrying about pulling too much current) which is just hooked into the throttle channel.

The OSD is soldered in parallel through the ground, 5v and Tx leads to a 3dr telemetry system - which is plugged into the telemetry port.

This plane also features a 12 volt video system running off of a 3 s lipo powering the 12 volt side of the OSD. So far so good...

I would go back through you next setup with a multimeter, checking that things are putting out the correct voltages and look twice before plugging batteries in.

I know it is frustrating but with patients (and money) you will get it!
chemnut842 is offline Find More Posts by chemnut842
Old Oct 02, 2013, 03:50 PM
Remember... Fly for fun!
Joined Jul 2005
6,493 Posts
Cheers guys.

Not one of the OSDs has let the magic smoke out, just gone from working fine, to pluggin back in again to find just a grey screen, i.e no video output. Never noticed them getting warm etc either. Both lights on the board still illuminate correctly.

The CC10a regulator is for power to the two standard Digital servos.

Sorry, JP1 is not connected. I meant jumper across signals for running PPM signal into APM is connected.

System did work when running a 3s li-po seperately. Sounding like a grounding problem (4s ground???) that has caused the failures. Would running a 12v reg fix this? Or would the grounding problem not be isolated. Would like to avoid running a seperate pack for video
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2013, 09:38 PM
Remember... Fly for fun!
Joined Jul 2005
6,493 Posts
Well we got the OSD Working. Running from a seperate 3s battery.

BUT it is tempremental. Sometimes when you plug everything in, the video does not work. Turn it all off, plug APM in, wait for it to calibrate and get GPS Lock, then plug 12v source in for VTX and OSD and all is well.

BUT, sometime the OSD shuts down soon after, but video remains. Again switch it all off and re-do the above and it works again.

Another thing it would do was run a funny tesellation type patern accross the screen and have no data on it.

And lastly, the BIGGEST problem is that it doesn't show data from the PM. No battery voltage or current etc. That is the bit that sucks the most.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 09, 2015, 03:57 AM
Find More Posts by Stenberggg
Joined May 2012
1 Posts
Baud rate

I know this is an old thread, but since the OSD is still current (no pun intended), aswell as the many problems people are experiencing, including me, I figured others might find it useful.

Ive been chewing my way through MinimOSD's aswell, but I think I can explain the majority of the failures with common ground due to my wiring and lack of knowledge. The reason why I'm chiming in though, is that I have tried a few different setups and found that I had to reset the minimosd each time with the button to get it to work, and the symptoms I had coincere with the ones you describe at the end of the post. I was using Flipflaps Ultimate LRS, running telemetry through the RC link with a Y-cable to MinimOSD. The reason why I had the issues was due to the baud rate of the minimOSD's firmware, and patching the software with the correct baud rate solved those issues for me
Stenberggg is offline Find More Posts by Stenberggg
Last edited by Stenberggg; Jun 09, 2015 at 03:58 AM. Reason: More descriptive title