1,304 Posts
That looks great. Lots of details
scoobiemario is offline Find More Posts by scoobiemario
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2015, 04:54 AM
Find More Posts by kiwioolittle
Joined Apr 2014
17 Posts
Hi Mike thanks for your posts. I have been following this thread for a few months and eventually bought one for myself. Just curious about tailwheel, have you managed to install a retractable tailwheel on the model?

It looks like the ruder wires go righ across the opening, just a few centimeters away from the gear door, it looks rather risky to install something moving right between the wires.

Did you arrive at the same conclusion or did you invent something ingenious?
kiwioolittle is offline Find More Posts by kiwioolittle
Old Oct 03, 2015, 11:14 AM
Find More Posts by thintz
United States, NC, Concord
Joined Jan 2013
532 Posts
I am building the ESM 88" Zero and just came in before I did something ugly to it. I was trying to fit the wheel wells that by the way are made of junk plastic. Without taking the rib out below the well there is no way to get them in. Plus the end where the retract bolts in has to come off altogether to even sit down sort of flush with the surrounding area. It also looks like one retract mount is lower in the wing than the other side. Made a command decision and put the wheel wells aside to be murdered some spectacular way I hope in the future. I notice in several of the photos I an find of existing ESM Zeros that they also appear to have open bays where the wheels pull up into. I'm glad I am not the first to just bail on the wheel well idea. I strayed from scale and out a big aluminum prop hub on also. I'm a rebel.
thintz is offline Find More Posts by thintz
Old Oct 03, 2015, 09:02 PM
Find More Posts by jeffandmarylynne
St. Mary's, Georgia
Joined Apr 2006
12 Posts
ESM 88" Zero

Hey guys, sorry it took so long, but forgot to post pics of the maiden. By the way, I have my wheel wells installed if interested in any pics. This thing flies on rails, and with the DLE55 it screams. GREAT flying plane. Well worth the all the work I put into it. Love the Robart E-retracts.
Jeff
jeffandmarylynne is offline Find More Posts by jeffandmarylynne
Old Oct 04, 2015, 02:20 AM
Joined Jan 2013
532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffandmarylynne View Post
Hey guys, sorry it took so long, but forgot to post pics of the maiden. By the way, I have my wheel wells installed if interested in any pics. This thing flies on rails, and with the DLE55 it screams. GREAT flying plane. Well worth the all the work I put into it. Love the Robart E-retracts.
Jeff
That's encouraging!
I'd like to see the wheel wells but more so how you attached the "doors" on the gear. I have the same Robart electrics and the doors as they come in the kit look to be way too short. Get them low enough to just cover the end of the axle and there is a huge gap at the top on the fuselage end. That might be how it is supposed to be, just looks odd to me.
Old Oct 04, 2015, 08:20 PM
St. Mary's, Georgia
Joined Apr 2006
12 Posts
ESM 88" Zero Doors/Pants

Thintz, I took the stock wheel pants and used the outline to make new ones with longer "legs". I used a mounting kit from Robart made for those retracts for the wheel pants. It was nice material and not too hard. I found the length of the pants to be a little odd myself. Will take pics of the wheel wells and my wheel pants this weekend. I am going to Mac Hodges for the Rally of Giants (a big scale event) Fly-in. I have to put the plane together to put the wheels down so you can see everything. Will do that when I'm there then get them out to everyone. The tail wheel was another adventure in itself. Once I saw the linkage layout in the tail, retractabel tailwheel was out of the picture, at least for me, but I did relocate a more scale tailwheel close to the scale location. Even that wasn't easy. Any more questions I will be glad to try to answer. Relocating everything in the fuse was the "BIGGEST" pain in the a$$ to be able to get a scale cockpit in there. Jeff
Old Oct 04, 2015, 09:53 PM
Find More Posts by rupert the bear
Joined Jun 2007
658 Posts
That colour scheme looks great! i have owned a couple of zeros, a kyosho and an 80 inch world models version, the Zero seems to be one of the best flying warbirds
rupert the bear is offline Find More Posts by rupert the bear
Old Oct 05, 2015, 03:04 AM
Joined Jan 2013
532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffandmarylynne View Post
Thintz, I took the stock wheel pants and used the outline to make new ones with longer "legs". I used a mounting kit from Robart made for those retracts for the wheel pants. It was nice material and not too hard. I found the length of the pants to be a little odd myself. Will take pics of the wheel wells and my wheel pants this weekend. I am going to Mac Hodges for the Rally of Giants (a big scale event) Fly-in. I have to put the plane together to put the wheels down so you can see everything. Will do that when I'm there then get them out to everyone. The tail wheel was another adventure in itself. Once I saw the linkage layout in the tail, retractabel tailwheel was out of the picture, at least for me, but I did relocate a more scale tailwheel close to the scale location. Even that wasn't easy. Any more questions I will be glad to try to answer. Relocating everything in the fuse was the "BIGGEST" pain in the a$$ to be able to get a scale cockpit in there. Jeff
I'll check out Robart for the wheel door mounts. I am going to be ready to balance my Zero today or tomorrow. For the time being I am going to leave the wheel wells out maybe revisit that down the road. I've spent too much time "fixing" how things go together in this kit including modifying how the tail wheel goes in. with any kind of luck I will be able to fly my Zero this coming weekend so want to go over everything this week to be sure its ready and skip the really frustrating cosmetic stuff for now.
I have been "moving everything forward" all through the building so am hoping balancing won't be a real big fight. I even added a TruTurn prop hub that isn't scale but does weigh something like 6 ounces so I am hopeful that will make up for some of the lead I keep seeing on firewalls and such with giant scale warbirds.
Old Oct 05, 2015, 09:56 PM
St. Mary's, Georgia
Joined Apr 2006
12 Posts
ESM 88" Zero

Understand all. Good luck with everything. Will hopefully be flying the crap out of mine this weekend. Will still try to remember to take pics of the stuff we talked about. Just a note, make sure you elevator is very even, if not even just a tiny bit down. I was glad my DLE55 had LOTS of extra power, because when I gunned in on take-off on my maiden, it left the ground in about 10ft headed up, but caught it with no problem. My elevator was what I thought centered, but put a little down in it on the next flight and had a good take-off, especially knowing what to expect. Still, GREAT flying, rock solid, easy landing plane. I still haven't flown mine enough to set the trim in for the flaps, since I don't hardly ever use flaps on any of my warbirds, but plan on doing that this weekend. Take care, and have a safe maiden. Keep us updated.
Old Oct 06, 2015, 02:02 AM
Joined Jan 2013
532 Posts
All I have left is cleaning up some wiring and balancing. If there are no big issues there I should be ready to maiden this weekend given some decent weather. I have maidened a bunch f aerobatic planes in big winds but this warbird will stay in the trailer until I get some decent wind for the first flights anyway.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 10:40 AM
Joined Jan 2013
532 Posts
IN case you hadn't seen it, I maidened my Zero and all went fine, pretty much. Scared the guys behind me on takeoff but its in one piece.

One issue I am having is the covering. It wrinkled a bit in the sunlight and going after it with my trusty heat gun just bubbles it up. I am used to pricking little holes in a few bubbles but this is ridiculous. I tried the heat iron also, same deal. Is there a secret to shrinking bubbles out of this plane?
Old Nov 02, 2015, 09:15 AM
Find More Posts by iamzoli1
Joined Jan 2009
295 Posts
Hello Guys... i'm also starting to build now this model... ive noticed that my motor mount should be a little int the right and down(as per picture)
Could you please tell me if its was the same for you

Thank you
iamzoli1 is offline Find More Posts by iamzoli1
Old Nov 02, 2015, 11:19 AM
Joined Jan 2013
532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamzoli1 View Post
Hello Guys... i'm also starting to build now this model... ive noticed that my motor mount should be a little int the right and down(as per picture)
Could you please tell me if its was the same for you

Thank you
I used the factory marks as you have there to mount my DA50 and it worked out fine. If anything I might add just a tick of down thrust but other than that it flies fine.
Old Nov 03, 2015, 05:11 PM
St. Mary's, Georgia
Joined Apr 2006
12 Posts
ESM 88" Zero Build

I'm like THINTZ, used existing marks and firewall to mount my DLE55. Just fine. Also agree that if anything, MAYBE add another degree of down or so, which you can just do with a washer on your mount. Hope all goes well. Keep us abreast with pics, and if you have any questions, let us know. Jeff