New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 16, 2015, 08:15 PM
Find More Posts by Billymac
In a little camper
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Sep 2005
685 Posts
Hi Steve,
When I tried the airbrakes at altitude, I didn't see any noticeable difference in airspeed. No pitching up of the nose or anything. I would like to get a few more degrees out of them. Maybe I would see a difference then. I did program about 1-2mm of reflex in the ailerons in landing mode per Ken K's suggestion.

You can find the build of the DG 505 by doing a search for it here on regroups. Lots of pictures there.
Also look for Visalia in the Sailplanes events. We posted many pictures there as well.
Bill
Billymac is offline Find More Posts by Billymac
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2016, 07:10 AM
Find More Posts by Aaron Wallace
San Diego
Joined Oct 2006
583 Posts
I get a significant nose up pitch chance when deploying the Marquart brakes. The Baudis specs call for 5-6mm compensation mix if I recall correctly. I can only get about 60 degrees with internal linkages. I find that they are still very effective.

Aaron
Aaron Wallace is offline Find More Posts by Aaron Wallace
Old Apr 07, 2016, 10:29 AM
Find More Posts by fly-by-night
She's Flying Again
Newport Beach, CA
Joined Oct 2008
446 Posts
Salto 4M

Aaron,
So you finally flew the Salto as last time I talked you hadn't. Great to here, have you tried the other wing yet? Is it possible to get some feed back on the flights / landings and CG you flew with? You like the rest of use have the same problem with the brakes a work in progress.

Regards,
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Wallace View Post
I get a significant nose up pitch chance when deploying the Marquart brakes. The Baudis specs call for 5-6mm compensation mix if I recall correctly. I can only get about 60 degrees with internal linkages. I find that they are still very effective.

Aaron
fly-by-night is offline Find More Posts by fly-by-night
Old Apr 07, 2016, 05:05 PM
San Diego
Joined Oct 2006
583 Posts
Thanks Steve. I finally did get the Salto airborne. I had to replace the speedbrake servos before I flew it. . I have not flown the flap wing yet. CG is 80mm from the leading edge. Flew very well in 15kt wind. Inverted required very little elevator. Faster than I expected and retained energy really well. Wrung it out pretty good. I have a lot of throw on all the primary control surfaces. Probably should dial back the elevator some. I also have yet to mix in elevator compensation for the speed brakes and aileron washout for landing mode. The landing was relatively easy as the speed brakes are quite effective. The left aileron servo mount came loose on the first flight and I have to figure out how to best address that. And check all the other servo mounts. Good news is that the servo covers seem to come off without too much trouble. I have not weighed it yet. I think I am really going to like this plane!

Aaron
Old Apr 08, 2016, 11:25 AM
She's Flying Again
Newport Beach, CA
Joined Oct 2008
446 Posts
Salto 4M

Aaron,
Nice, ya I have mine right at 79/80 CG and with all the uncertainty of the CG great to here you liked the setting. I made mine with all suffices internal just like the tails as you have so much room with gobs of movement.
I'm glad to here your brakes worked fine at 60% as you read earlier it seamed to not make a difference, so how much compensation are you looking to put in to keep the nose down? Good to here she retains energy like the 2.5 Salto as on approach she glides forever. Was looking at the stall tape - http://www.iflytailies.com/store/win...urbulator-tape but not sure were on the wing to it, any thoughts on this would like to here them as you being in the business and all? Mine finished out at 13.25lb.

Regards,
Steve

Quote:
Thanks Steve. I finally did get the Salto airborne. I had to replace the speedbrake servos before I flew it. . I have not flown the flap wing yet. CG is 80mm from the leading edge. Flew very well in 15kt wind. Inverted required very little elevator. Faster than I expected and retained energy really well. Wrung it out pretty good. I have a lot of throw on all the primary control surfaces. Probably should dial back the elevator some. I also have yet to mix in elevator compensation for the speed brakes and aileron washout for landing mode. The landing was relatively easy as the speed brakes are quite effective. The left aileron servo mount came loose on the first flight and I have to figure out how to best address that. And check all the other servo mounts. Good news is that the servo covers seem to come off without too much trouble. I have not weighed it yet. I think I am really going to like this plane!

Aaron
Last edited by fly-by-night; Apr 08, 2016 at 01:24 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 06:14 AM
Find More Posts by Lbuff1
TEAM HORIZON
Killingworth CT
Joined Nov 2008
2,674 Posts
Guys,

I have the Salto built by another pilot , then sold to another member and now to me. It's new and never flown. The built is top notch and the plane is beautiful.
I requested throws and CG from the original builder and he sent me the following information based on some numbers in the Salto thread.

Basic set-up for Salto H-101 4m (- up, +down):
CG: 7585mm from LE at the root
Ailerons: -2025mm, +1215mm
Elevator: 2025mm
Rudder: 2530mm
Brakes: up to 80 (landing)
Flaps: +58mm (thermal), up to 20mm (landing)
Mix: Ailerons → Rudder 15mm
Mix: Brakes → Elevator +56mm

FIRST off.... It has a setting for flaps, This plane does not have flaps????

Anyway.

I flew the plane last weekend at an aerotow and here is what I found out.

This little model is a sweetheart to fly.
The aileron throw is WAY sensitive at those settings.
The Elevator is WAY WAY WAY too much at 20-25mm ( measured at the TE ) I dialed it out to about 1/3 of that
CG is in the middle of the range
Rudder mix is OK, thats a taste thing.
The airbrakes are the coolest thing ever. Very effective when used on final.
Mix was only 2-3mm down Elevator for full airbrakes..
Airbrake was as much as I could get,. probably 75-80 degrees

The plane flies great fast, very good slow and the aerobatics are excellent.

Landing this little pussycat is a breeze. One the right compensation was dialed in for the airbrakes.
Fly the plane at normal airspeeds, don't try to fly it as slow as you can. Just fly a normal airplane approach, use the airbrakes to control altitude , once in ground affect, ease the airbrakes on and she'll sit right where you want here to.

I only had 5 flights on it and although its a tiny sailplane to me, its a fun one and I think I'll keep it around. More flights in a week or so when we travel to GA for an Aerotow.
I'll try to get some Videos if anyone is interested.

No reflex was added at this time.

Thanks for the info guys

Len

www.ScaleSoaring.com
The home of all things SCALE
Lbuff1 is offline Find More Posts by Lbuff1
Old Apr 14, 2016, 11:42 AM
She's Flying Again
Newport Beach, CA
Joined Oct 2008
446 Posts
Salto 4M

Len,
Great to here all the input, the setting you first list are from Baudis, they have available wing set with flaps. Thanks for all the landing input as that seems to be what I'm most interested in and definitely send some pics.
For what looks like from what you usually fly this must be tiny but for me she is BIG.
What was your flying weight?

Regards,
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbuff1 View Post
Guys,

I have the Salto built by another pilot , then sold to another member and now to me. It's new and never flown. The built is top notch and the plane is beautiful.
I requested throws and CG from the original builder and he sent me the following information based on some numbers in the Salto thread.

Basic set-up for Salto H-101 4m (- up, +down):
CG: 7585mm from LE at the root
Ailerons: -2025mm, +1215mm
Elevator: 2025mm
Rudder: 2530mm
Brakes: up to 80 (landing)
Flaps: +58mm (thermal), up to 20mm (landing)
Mix: Ailerons → Rudder 15mm
Mix: Brakes → Elevator +56mm

FIRST off.... It has a setting for flaps, This plane does not have flaps????

Anyway.

I flew the plane last weekend at an aerotow and here is what I found out.

This little model is a sweetheart to fly.
The aileron throw is WAY sensitive at those settings.
The Elevator is WAY WAY WAY too much at 20-25mm ( measured at the TE ) I dialed it out to about 1/3 of that
CG is in the middle of the range
Rudder mix is OK, thats a taste thing.
The airbrakes are the coolest thing ever. Very effective when used on final.
Mix was only 2-3mm down Elevator for full airbrakes..
Airbrake was as much as I could get,. probably 75-80 degrees

The plane flies great fast, very good slow and the aerobatics are excellent.

Landing this little pussycat is a breeze. One the right compensation was dialed in for the airbrakes.
Fly the plane at normal airspeeds, don't try to fly it as slow as you can. Just fly a normal airplane approach, use the airbrakes to control altitude , once in ground affect, ease the airbrakes on and she'll sit right where you want here to.

Thanks for the info guys

Len

www.ScaleSoaring.com
The home of all things SCALE
Old Apr 14, 2016, 01:39 PM
Find More Posts by Lbuff1
TEAM HORIZON
Killingworth CT
Joined Nov 2008
2,674 Posts
Hi Steve,
Thanks for the reply, yes the Salto is a little smaller than I usually fly, but just as much fun!!
I honestly did not concern myself with the weight, simply because there is nothing that can be done to change whatever it is. I can get it next week when we're in GA, I'll have it all together and pull out the scale.

Len
Lbuff1 is offline Find More Posts by Lbuff1
Old Apr 14, 2016, 04:25 PM
Find More Posts by Billymac
In a little camper
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Sep 2005
685 Posts
Len,
I thought the throws were much as well. Especially on the V tail. I think I used 10mm up and 8 down. Makes it a bit softer in pitch.
The ailerons were too much as well. I think I lowered it to 12mm up and 8mm down.

I used no compensation mix on airbrakes.. But I only had 3 flights on it. Maybe I didn't notice it.

I did use 1-2mm of up aileron on landing mode. I found that to be a good start to keep it from snapping on landing.

Best of luck on flying this baby!

Bill
Billymac is offline Find More Posts by Billymac
Old Apr 14, 2016, 04:27 PM
She's Flying Again
Newport Beach, CA
Joined Oct 2008
446 Posts
Salto 4M

Len,
Just curious, mine is right at 13.25lb which is right in spec. with CG at 80mm. Have a great time in GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbuff1 View Post
Hi Steve,
Thanks for the reply, yes the Salto is a little smaller than I usually fly, but just as much fun!!
I honestly did not concern myself with the weight, simply because there is nothing that can be done to change whatever it is. I can get it next week when we're in GA, I'll have it all together and pull out the scale.

Len
Old Apr 14, 2016, 11:55 PM
San Diego
Joined Oct 2006
583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly-by-night View Post
Aaron,
Nice, ya I have mine right at 79/80 CG and with all the uncertainty of the CG great to here you liked the setting. I made mine with all suffices internal just like the tails as you have so much room with gobs of movement.
I'm glad to here your brakes worked fine at 60% as you read earlier it seamed to not make a difference, so how much compensation are you looking to put in to keep the nose down? Good to here she retains energy like the 2.5 Salto as on approach she glides forever. Was looking at the stall tape - http://www.iflytailies.com/store/win...urbulator-tape but not sure were on the wing to it, any thoughts on this would like to here them as you being in the business and all? Mine finished out at 13.25lb.

Regards,
Steve

Hi Steve. It is difficult to determine the location to put turbulator tape for stall speed reduction because you need to know the location of the separation of airflow over the wing. It is very angle of attack and airfoil specific. The tape also increases drag. It is easier to determine the position of the tape to increase control surface effectiveness. Somewhere close to and before the hinge line.

I have not weighed mine yet. As Len said, can't do much about that. I am curious though so I will weigh it. I will start with 2-4mm nose down mix for the speed brakes. The elevators are so big! I like to fly with large control surface throws for acro birds like this although I might dial down the elevator. I would like to get more throw on the speed brakes.

I have been away from home a lot lately and have not had a chance to address my aileron servo mount issue yet. I hope to get it all fixed and get it in the air again next week.

Aaron
Old Apr 17, 2016, 10:51 PM
San Diego
Joined Oct 2006
583 Posts
Steve et al,

I removed the tail wheel cover during my post flight inspection and found one of the tail attachment bolts loose. Is anyone using lock washers or something else to keep those secure?

Thanks,

Aaron
Old Apr 18, 2016, 10:56 AM
She's Flying Again
Newport Beach, CA
Joined Oct 2008
446 Posts
Salto 4M

Aaron,
Ya did worry about that so I put Blue lock tight as it can be removed - just a suggestion maybe a star washer would work better than a lock, more bite?

Steve

Quote:
Steve et al,

I removed the tail wheel cover during my post flight inspection and found one of the tail attachment bolts loose. Is anyone using lock washers or something else to keep those secure?

Thanks,

Aaron
Old Apr 18, 2016, 01:29 PM
San Diego
Joined Oct 2006
583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly-by-night View Post
Aaron,
Ya did worry about that so I put Blue lock tight as it can be removed - just a suggestion maybe a star washer would work better than a lock, more bite?

Steve

Thanks Steve. I was also considering a thin rubber washer / lock washer combo. Might relieve a little stress. Star washer sounds better. And the blue locktite.

Aaron
Old Apr 18, 2016, 02:35 PM
She's Flying Again
Newport Beach, CA
Joined Oct 2008
446 Posts
Salto 4M

Aaron,
Did you get any flying in last week I heard it was epic on Thursday, gelies (as we call them) were 400 feet over the cliff as I was told.

Steve

Quote:
Thanks Steve. I was also considering a thin rubber washer / lock washer combo. Might relieve a little stress. Star washer sounds better. And the blue locktite.

Aaron