SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Kiesling, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 12:46 PM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2High View Post
I was wondering, if you were on the team the prior world contest, do you automatically qualify for the following year?
Other than the injured Paul, that won't be a problem. Oleg, Jun, and George have already placed high enough. David A. has already placed high enough.

You don't need to worry about those guys. Like last time George will probably qualify 5 or 6 times over.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2011, 12:51 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,114 Posts
the only reason I disagree is I am against pulling pilots more from one geographic region over another. why should those who are in a warm belt, get the priveledge to earn the right to qualify more than someone in a colder climate? Why should this coast have more opportunity than another or those form the middle? Or whatever reason have more chances than another?

Why should any demographic, for that matter, be used to seggregate against? this is the point I am making. No demographic should be favored over another.

OK, so only guys in this area can have more than one try......
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Aug 17, 2011, 12:53 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke View Post
Other than the injured Paul, that won't be a problem. Oleg, Jun, and George have already placed high enough. David A. has already placed high enough.

You don't need to worry about those guys. Like last time George will probably qualify 5 or 6 times over.

Ryan
I am sure you are right but I think it is an honor that should be bestowed upon them. I am sure that even if Paul had to have my mother in law launch for him, he would still kick butt.

It is the honor to have bestowed upon them that I think they have earned.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 12:57 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,913 Posts
Quote:
One reason not to open the flood gates is that where and who can host a very large team qualifier?

Sure it would be nice for everyone with a $20 burning in their pocket to be elegible to attend.

At the same tocket, it was already stated that one of the issue with the worlds was enough volunteer help.

Besides those lucky locations that put on large contests, who else can host a large team selection? You'll be limiting the number of locations that could host it. If I recall, there were only 3 locations that ofered to host it last time.

As for travel, I am not saying that only top pilots travel. I am only saying that the amount of traveling is not the kind requiring airliner assistance and typically is drivein no more than 4-6 hours.

I do not disagree with the more pilots the better but if we already saw the list max out well before the end of the last team qualifiers, what makes you think that having more contests will not have the same effect?

I want more pilots too but I do not agree that just by having more contests as the solution.

the only way you'll get more pilots qualified is if at each contest the number of pilots attending goes up and more points are awarded.
Too many pilots at the TS will not be a problem until it is a problem. From my post above:

"What did we have last time? 30 guys from 52 qualifiers. Getting too many at the TS will most likely not be a problem.... So we will end up with 30ish qualified pilots that WANT to be on the US Team in 2013 planning on attending the TS."

Re: demographics, the longer the time span the more opportunity for people to fly everywhere, not just on the left or right southern coasts...

Mike
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B
Old Aug 17, 2011, 01:00 PM
I'm all about that bass
Joined Feb 2004
15,046 Posts
Quote:
the only reason I disagree is I am against pulling pilots more from one geographic region over another. why should those who are in a warm belt, get the priveledge to earn the right to qualify more than someone in a colder climate?
What's a warm belt? Is DC a warm belt? Last cycle Phil and GT qualified like 5 times over.

From looking at the results last time, and granted I'm totally on the outside looking in here, it seemed to me that the last time the right people qualified and attended the TS. And by the results of it, seems the right guys made the team.

Ryan
Old Aug 17, 2011, 01:01 PM
I'm all about that bass
Joined Feb 2004
15,046 Posts
Quote:
I am sure you are right but I think it is an honor that should be bestowed upon them.
They got to compete at a world champs and one of them got to stand on the podium. I think any honor we can come up with will be minimal in comparison...

Ryan
Old Aug 17, 2011, 01:22 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,114 Posts
Then why not have it Jun 2010 to June 2012? that would give all locations 2 times. I only do not want some contests to be counted twice and others once. I see this as being no less fair than let's only count East coast contests.

As to Ryan's point, if the current system worked then why change it? It was one year last time, why do we need to change it? It already has worked, the right guys went and we long prior to the end of the qualifying date range had maxed out who was going?

No need to change it.....

Off the soapbox... (unless pulled back on)
Old Aug 17, 2011, 01:24 PM
San Diego
Joined Aug 2004
2,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by like.2.fly View Post
Heck, that magic window hadn't even been announced yet, and pilots at those events thought they were competing in qualifiers.
Why would they think they were competing in qualifiers? The program specifically states that the contest must be announced as a qualifier 30 days prior to the event. There are reasons for this requirement. It is there so people can plan accordingly and perhaps make an extra effort to attend an event in order to get qualified.

For this cycle, it is what it is. You all have one years worth of contests to get qualified. We can make changes for the next cycle. We should discuss this over the fall/winter when I have more time. One thing to keep in mind is that everyone involved here are volunteers. So before we go doubling the work load of people like Ryan who enters all the scores and manages the web site, you better make sure he is okay with it or be prepared to step up yourself. It is really easy to post critical comments on RCgroups, but not so easy to dedicate the hours needed to actually get the work done.

Tom
Kiesling is online now Find More Posts by Kiesling
Old Aug 17, 2011, 01:26 PM
I'm all about that bass
Joined Feb 2004
15,046 Posts
Quote:
As to Ryan's point, if the current system worked then why change it? It was one year last time, why do we need to change it?
Last time it was an 8 month qual cycle, January 2010 through August 2010. The problem with that was it limited the weekends the TS could occur. The idea this time doing June through June is that the TS could be over 4rth of July weekend (as an example) or over Labor Day weekend (better example maybe).

Ryan
Old Aug 17, 2011, 01:28 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,114 Posts
Tom,
If I may be the first to say, that if help is needed, what do you need and how can I help?

I am sure there are lots of us willing to help if our help will make it better for you guys and will make it even more successful than before which already set the bar super high.

Sincerely,
Frank
Old Aug 17, 2011, 01:33 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,913 Posts
Agreed on the increased work load thing, so I will let Ryan tell me if he cares to not enter more contests, or is ok with the idea from a work load perspective. But I can and will help to get stuff uploaded too if necessary.

Frank, while I am an "if it ain't broke don't fix it" type of guy, this particular qualifier constraint is broke and must be fixed.

Tom, Why? Because they are/were big events, and I thought they would have made the callendar and since the contests themselves were announced it seemed to meet that requirement too. I didn't even consider that they wouldn't be qualifiers. All the big events should automatically be considered qualifiers unless it does not have a sanction, then, it will be announced as a NON-qualifier. Upon that announcement we can all hound the organizers to get the Sanction :-)

And I'm out.

Mike
Old Aug 17, 2011, 01:33 PM
I'm all about that bass
Joined Feb 2004
15,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiesling View Post
One thing to keep in mind is that everyone involved here are volunteers. So before we go doubling the work load of people like Ryan who enters all the scores and manages the web site, you better make sure he is okay with it or be prepared to step up yourself
Actually, in this instance Mike who you are replying to is helping out with the qual list. He has been helping me for a few weeks now to get the data from the contest results into the spreadsheets.

Quote:
If I may be the first to say, that if help is needed, what do you need and how can I help?
Right now, I think Mike and I have the data entry process handled. I need to get a small piece of info from a very busy guy, and I havenít been pestering him too much for that, but once I do get it then I could probably use some help doing a real facelift to the f3k.us website. I was actually planning on asking Mike to help with that as well. Iím not a web designer, I can make changes to an existing website but I canít really make a website better.

Ryan
Old Aug 17, 2011, 01:41 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,913 Posts
Ryan, Tom was replying to me, Mike Smith. I think you are working with Mike Seid.

Mike Smith
Old Aug 17, 2011, 01:44 PM
I'm all about that bass
Joined Feb 2004
15,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLY F3B View Post
Ryan, Tom was replying to me, Mike Smith. I think you are working with Mike Seid.

Mike Smith
No, he replied to "like.2.fly". you are Fly F3B. Like to Fly is also a Mike. This Mike (not a Seid) is helping me with the spreadsheets.

Mike, meet Mike. Mike and Mike, meet Mike.

Ryan
Old Aug 17, 2011, 01:53 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,114 Posts
As I have been told Ryan, I do write software for a living but I do not have an artistic bone in my body.

depending on what kind of facelift, I am willing to help.

Keep me in the loop.

Frank