HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2014, 04:24 PM
United Kingdom, England, Gerrards Cross
Joined Oct 2014
4 Posts
Discussion
Powerlab 6 Burn Out

Re posting this here in line with advice from another user:

I think I may have killed my Cellpro Powerlab 6 charger but I don't really understand how.

I was using the Lipo storage charge setting to set up two 10400 mAh packs which won't be used for a while. These are 22.2 volt 6S2P, 35C by Desire Power. I use them on a Droidworx octocopter. I should add that I am very new to this Lipo game and it can be a bit daunting.

I had already storage charged 4 packs with no problem. As I was doing the same with the last of my six packs the charger shut down and will not power up again. There was a very slight smell of burning near the fan. I am no electrical engineer but I took the charger casing off and I can't see any obvious damage. The fuse still appears to be intact.

I think I had all the setting correct but I was not certain about the discharge setting. I think it was on 2amps but I can't really remember. The four previous batteries all reached storage charge with no problems on whatever the settings were. The batteries connected when the fault happened were not hot or swollen.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, especially on what the setting should be for storage charging these batteries. I think I will have to buy a new charger and I don't want to burn another one out.

Thanks in advance for any help offered.
Storkfly is offline Find More Posts by Storkfly
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2014, 05:38 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,203 Posts
Unless there is mfg defect setting it to the max internal discharge should not hurt the charger. What happened was likely a fluke and I would not worry about.

However, those are very large packs and it will take a while to discharge them using the internal discharge of 50 watts. You could re-gen discharge them into a bank of Pb batteries. Or build an external discharger for high current.
Gregor99 is online now Find More Posts by Gregor99