HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:52 AM
Sweden, Helsingborg
Joined Jun 2012
2,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzjohn View Post
+1. They need to have transmitter repair parts available like they do for their helis which might only cost half as much. At least they should sell moving parts like the stick assembly. Also replacement gears for servos. I have a pile of Genius servos that would be perfectly good if it weren't for one little gear. Now that I'm learning inverted flight, I am looking for an alternative 100-size heli that would be cheaper to keep in the air with reasonably-priced parts. If I find one that's Deviation compatible, goodbye Genius!
Its called the servo saver mod, i haven't striped a single servo in ~100 crashes on my mini.
Xermalk is online now Find More Posts by Xermalk
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:06 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzjohn View Post
+1. They need to have transmitter repair parts available like they do for their helis which might only cost half as much. At least they should sell moving parts like the stick assembly. Also replacement gears for servos. I have a pile of Genius servos that would be perfectly good if it weren't for one little gear. Now that I'm learning inverted flight, I am looking for an alternative 100-size heli that would be cheaper to keep in the air with reasonably-priced parts. If I find one that's Deviation compatible, goodbye Genius!
Replacement servo gears were available but were then withdrawn by Walkera. The explanation was that they were too difficult for customers to install. I have seen reports where people were abe to buy transmitter parts through HobbyOne.

It is very difficult to learn 3D and inverted flight with the Genius CP. The motor bogs down too easily and I couldn't get anywhere with it. The Mini CP is a much better helicopter for learning 3D although that has now been surpasses by the Nano CPX. More mCPX clones are on the way if you wait a bit longer.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:44 AM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xermalk View Post
You should ALWAYS have negative pitch at low, even as a beginner. But only -10-20%.
Without negative pitch you might as well buy a cheap fixed pitch heli instead.

PS. anyone know what the silvery pit tool is for that you got with the master cp?

Im guessing its somehow for leveling the swash or setting up pitch, but as theres no balls on it i dont really see how its meant to be used?.
I personally don't agree with any negative pitch until you can hover. They won't be flying and should not be in the wind. I am talking pure beginner with not CP experience.

The silver pit is used to be mounted on the top to the main shaft. Take the button of and screw it in place. You then stick rods in each side and this simulates a level flybar to set up pitch. It works great, but the Align electronic pitch gauge is easier and better.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:58 AM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
I kind of agree and disagree on this...

Walkera is a budget but proper hobby level heli manufacturer, they don't make toys.

I'll explain... toys are the things you fly, break, can't mend so throw away. (The CoAx heli's without servos are in this group) - Novelty items which are fun for the masses but people won't take it any further...

Hobby, is where you can get all the parts, you get a proper radio transmitter (even if it's a 4 channel thing, it's still pretty well built compared with the IR transmitters).

However, if they start running a huge warranty and support service the cost will go on the models and parts. So they are running a community support, inkjet printer model and trying to sell the main copter for as little as reasonably possible and then make the money on parts.
The Walkera electronics are enough to get you in the air but if you really start pushing these things hard you'll need to upgrade in many cases.
The mini's: Super FP, Mini CP, GFP, GCP, V120D02S and Ladybird are all pretty good OOTB only the servos let the 120 down in terms of durability.
For the Master - it's one step up in size than those minis but built for learners to fly outside, again, the servos are weak, but then this thing is heavy. If they use MG servos and servo arms that fail under high shock loads then that'll solve the most critical issue. Buy a bag of servo arms 10 for $5 and everytime you crash you replace the arm and redo your swash setup... seems a pretty good deal to me.

If you really want to go for a supplier with support then I think the Blade option sounds much better than Walkera but in terms of their products - they still have issues and of course can break when you crash.

That said, I'm sure Walkera will be happy of the feedback, just don't expect them to change their business model.

(For background, I have 8 WK helis and 2 WK quads... plus some other stuff)
I do not consider anything caused by crash damage to be a defect.
But new items that don't work out of the box or non crashable items like Transmitters are factory defects. The RXs in the MasterCP that won't bind with Fixed ID out of the box are defects. If I had crashed the Master, I would never ask for warranty, but I had not even lifted it of the floor as many others with the same issue.
I don't know how it is handled where you are, but if you buy a 300.00 televison here or a 3000.00 television, they both have one year warranty against defects. That covers defects, not droping on the floor.
The Master CP is pretty comparable to the Blade SR. I know they are different technology, but the quality and pricing is similar. The only difference is the blade has a better dealer network, in North America, at least. If you buy a blade and it has definate defects out of the box, they replace the defective part. Even the servo issue I have on my mini I can live with, but when a TX that costs 250.00 to 500.00 has an issue, that should be fixed. These products are not really sold as a low grade product, but advertised as Spectrum or Futaba quality.
Last edited by BThirsk; Dec 10, 2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:29 PM
Joined May 2011
656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
I think instead of just making issue to Master CP, maybe this document should encompass Walkera products in general. I have many Walkera products, so I may have more issues than some.
I have a Devo 8s that developed Screen display issues. The screen display becomes garbled as soon as the volttage drops, like after 5 minutes of use even with new batteries.
I have the MasterCP that will not bind with Fixed ID with a Devo 7, DEVO 8s, or a Devo 12s where the other 6 models all will so the problem is in the Master CP RV.
I purchased a Walkera brushless conversion for the MiniCP and the motor won't start by itself. Appears to be bad solder connections in the Walkera supplied PCB.
I have a Devo 12s that the battery charger now does not work after only 2 charges. I have the unit plugged into a surge protector bar. No voltage output.
I have had 2 servos lock up on my mini CP. It has never been crashed. I have yet to have a servo go on any of my other helis other than in a major crash and then, only 2 so far. When I take these apart, I found something drop out, but the gears on one were find and it is back in service after putting back together. The other I stripped because I lost my temper.

My feeling is Walkera have some very good designs and for the most part, build a pretty good Heli. It is basically their quality control and backup through their dealer network that is the issue. If we can't get assistance on products from the dealer we purchased from, we should be able to contact Walkera directely for help.
Contact hobbyone.com for the transmitter parts.
On my DEVO 8 the throttle hold switch's lever came out. I wrote them an email, and ordered one plus some spare with $5 shipping cost.
They are very helpful...
FDR_ is offline Find More Posts by FDR_
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:23 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,239 Posts
Quote:
I do not consider anything caused by crash damage to be a defect.
But new items that don't work out of the box or none crashable items like Transmitters are factory defects. The RXs in the MasterCP that won't bind with Fixed ID out of the box are defects. If I had crashed the Master, I would never ask for warranty, but I had not even lifted it of the floor as many others with the same issue.
I don't know how it is handled where you are, but if you buy a 300.00 televison here or a 3000.00 television, they both have one year warranty against defects. That covers defects, not droping on the floor.
The Master CP is pretty comparable to the Blade SR. I know they are different technology, but the quality and pricing is similar. The only difference is the blade has a better dealer network, in North America, at least. If you buy a blade and it has definate defects out of the box, they replace the defective part. Even the servo issue I have on my mini I can live with, but when a TX that costs 250.00 to 500.00 has an issue, that should be fixed. These products are not really sold as a low grade product, but advertised as Spectrum or Futaba quality.
Walkera does offer and honor warranties on its products. There had been more than 20 instances where my damaged receivers had been repaired for free, irrespective whether they were caused by a crash or not. Also, we can definitely get transmitters repaired under warranty for free. However, it must be done through a vendor. The problem is that overseas vendors are very reluctant to send things back to China for repairs.

Conversely, we cannot deal with HH directly in Hong Kong. Vendors have to send items back to the US for repair. Needless to say, they are very reluctant to do so. Therefore, the service we get in Hong Kong for Blade helicopters is more or less the same you get for Walkera in N. America.

You will not see any significant improvement unless there is a major distributor or agent in N, America. However, the prices will likely to be much higher then. Not only that, the prices of Internet vendors in Hong Kong / China would have to be raised as well in order not to undercut the N. American distributor.

I think the most important thing for Walkera to improve on is to at least not ignore customers' inquiries, even if they could not deal with it directly. I can see why any factory does not want to deal with customers directly. For a start, it is complicated to send electronics back to China. In fact, there is actually some sort of a ban by USPS. There are reports that some items for repairs have even been taxed by the Chinese customs.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:23 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDR_ View Post
Contact hobbyone.com for the transmitter parts.
On my DEVO 8 the throttle hold switch's lever came out. I wrote them an email, and ordered one plus some spare with $5 shipping cost.
They are very helpful...
Thanks, I will if I can't find what I need. I think it is either the touch screen controller or the screen itself, both of which are available from Digikey in Canada. I just need time to take it apart and test.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:37 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
Walkera does offer and honor warranties on its products. There had been more than 20 instances where my damaged receivers had been repaired for free, irrespective whether they were caused by a crash or not. Also, we can definitely get transmitters repaired under warranty for free. However, it must be done through a vendor. The problem is that overseas vendors are very reluctant to send things back to China for repairs.

Conversely, we cannot deal with HH directly in Hong Kong. Vendors have to send items back to the US for repair. Needless to say, they are very reluctant to do so. Therefore, the service we get in Hong Kong for Blade helicopters is more or less the same you get for Walkera in N. America.

You will not see any significant improvement unless there is a major distributor or agent in N, America. However, the prices will likely to be much higher then. Not only that, the prices of Internet vendors in Hong Kong / China would have to be raised as well in order not to undercut the N. American distributor.

I think the most important thing for Walkera to improve on is to at least not ignore customers' inquiries, even if they could not deal with it directly. I can see why any factory does not want to deal with customers directly. For a start, it is complicated to send electronics back to China. In fact, there is actually some sort of a ban by USPS. There are reports that some items for repairs have even been taxed by the Chinese customs.
That may be the case, but all my purchases from Hong Kong Vendors that I have Issues with. They tell me they have checked with Walkera and I am supposed to send the product directly to Walkera. They give me an email which is the Walkera support. Walkera will never respond. SO where does that leave me or the many others who have issues.
I must add, one of the Vendors who I bought the Devo 12S from emailed me today they are sending me a new charger. So for the most part, it may be a Vendor issue. I guess Walkera should take complaints about Vendors that do not honour their policy.
I sell power inverters from a US company who has plants in China where these are built. They do not want me involved at all in warranty. They handle all warranties issues directly.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:23 PM
Joined Dec 2012
12 Posts
ball link measurements

Hi guys i need help..i am kinda new to this heli..i just upgraded from a fp to cp..my master cp just had a crash..and i lost both of my ball links tht is attached to my swashplate and blade holders..
Can anyone tell me wat is the measurement of the ball links...coz i have no clue wat are its stock length..plus..i am un farmiliar with the pitch settings..
Need help sos
xiswell is offline Find More Posts by xiswell
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:37 PM
Joined Dec 2010
35 Posts
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355186209.820552.jpg
Views: 91
Size: 22.5 KB
Description: Repair broken Frame with instant noodle chopstick..
somchai6813 is offline Find More Posts by somchai6813
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:39 PM
Joined Dec 2010
35 Posts
Tested with Turnigy 2627 3800kv 2.3mm. flip great with Th 85-80-85 PT +-12.5degree.
somchai6813 is offline Find More Posts by somchai6813
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:40 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,239 Posts
Quote:
That may be the case, but all my purchases from Hong Kong Vendors that I have Issues with. They tell me they have checked with Walkera and I am supposed to send the product directly to Walkera. They give me an email which is the Walkera support. Walkera will never respond. SO where does that leave me or the many others who have issues.
I must add, one of the Vendors who I bought the Devo 12S from emailed me today they are sending me a new charger. So for the most part, it may be a Vendor issue. I guess Walkera should take complaints about Vendors that do not honour their policy.
I sell power inverters from a US company who has plants in China where these are built. They do not want me involved at all in warranty. They handle all warranties issues directly.
There seems to be a problem with some Hong Kong and China vendors. It seems that some may have been blacklisted by Walkera whereas others do not buy in sufficient quantities. Therefore, they have to buy through other vendors or distributors in China. Therefore if an issue arise with the product, they cannot deal with Walkera directly. I heard that a well known Hong Kong vendor where you might have bought your transmitter from had been blacklisted. However, I find it hard to believe given that they do buy in large quantities. However, it seems that Walkera is trying their best to promote HobbyOne with which it seems to have a close relationship.
Last edited by zadaw; Dec 10, 2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:49 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,765 Posts
Quote:
There seems to be a problem with some Hong Kong and China vendors. It seems that some may have been blacklisted by Walkera whereas others do not buy in sufficient quantities. Therefore, they have to buy through other vendors or distributors in China. Therefore if an issue arise with the product, they cannot deal with Walkera directly. I read in HF that a well known Hong Kong vendor where you might have bought your transmitter from had been blacklisted. However, I find it hard to believe given that they do buy in large quantities.
I heard the same story about the vendor, and yes, it is the same one. I had a hard time believing it as well. I just know they would have been my first choice to buy the Devo 12 from if they had done something for me, but as it was, I purchased somewhere else. That vendor has no problem helping me out.
I guess again it is the old story, buyer beware.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:48 PM
Madison WI
Joined Jan 2009
599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xermalk View Post
Its called the servo saver mod, i haven't striped a single servo in ~100 crashes on my mini.
I might have to do that. Just looked it up and it seems that most people are happy with it.
jazzjohn is offline Find More Posts by jazzjohn
Last edited by jazzjohn; Dec 10, 2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:55 PM
Madison WI
Joined Jan 2009
599 Posts
Quote:
It is very difficult to learn 3D and inverted flight with the Genius CP. The motor bogs down too easily and I couldn't get anywhere with it.
Yes, it bogs even flying around upright sometimes.

Quote:
More mCPX clones are on the way if you wait a bit longer.
I'm monitoring the situation. Agreed.. it's just a matter of time.
jazzjohn is offline Find More Posts by jazzjohn