HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:09 AM
Dirk
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2012
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexless View Post
I had the exact same problem with my second one. I asked for a replacement PCB from BG - doesn't look like they're going to send it. I soldered the bridge as mentioned on RCGroups and it flies fine now.

My Question
What kind of range do other folks get with their DH9116? I seem to have about a 10-15m maximum range on my orange 9116. I get a much longer range out of all my other outdoor helis (V911, V929, V939, MJX F45). I've had the F45 more than a block away from me and had no trouble maintaining full control. I'll have to compare to my blue 9116 which just returned to duty last night after replacing the blades.
Its worth checking that your main motor is properly grounded (verify with a multimeter). If the motor is not grounded it causes RF interference which would reduce the effective range you would get. Yip - had that problem too...
Dirk
501419 is offline Find More Posts by 501419
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:40 PM
Micro Menace
Joined Aug 2012
492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501419 View Post
Hi Budasac
I had similar problem but it was only present if I smoothly increase throttle from zero. Try bumping your trottle up quickly to around 30-40%. That reduces the initial startup current that causes the MOPS to cut power to the motor. This is worth giving a try before disabling the MOPS.

I also found that the problem reduced over time as the motor got run in.
Thanks, I actually ended up doing that the first night I got it. I was a little hesitant to mod a 10 minute old heli. I have no problem doing it, just didn't think I should have to repair a heli right out of the box. (At least let me crash it in some spectacular manner first.) I kept going from 0 throttle to 50% trying to keep the motor spinning until it stayed on. Almost seems like you need to break in the motor a little. After the first flight I haven't had an issue.
Budasac is offline Find More Posts by Budasac
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:36 AM
Ain't crashing often anymore
mikefromgermany's Avatar
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac View Post
Thanks, I actually ended up doing that the first night I got it. I was a little hesitant to mod a 10 minute old heli. I have no problem doing it, just didn't think I should have to repair a heli right out of the box. (At least let me crash it in some spectacular manner first.) I kept going from 0 throttle to 50% trying to keep the motor spinning until it stayed on. Almost seems like you need to break in the motor a little. After the first flight I haven't had an issue.
Yes, that helps getting airborne.
But the protection did cut the power in free flight again sometimes with one of mine 9116 so I decided to take no risks anymore and disable the MOPS on any 9116 I've ever had my hands on. No negative effects so far.
Anyway: Have fun with your 9116, budasac! And you may be right - as long as you encounter no problems, fly it as it is
-mike-
mikefromgermany is online now Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:42 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
rexless's Avatar
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501419 View Post
Its worth checking that your main motor is properly grounded (verify with a multimeter). If the motor is not grounded it causes RF interference which would reduce the effective range you would get. Yip - had that problem too...
Dirk
Good idea. So I took the multimeter and touched it to the case of the motor and to the solder point on the back of the motor's little circuit board and it's definitely grounded to that. Now do I need to check it against some other location as well?

In other news, since I have the mops problem and this issue banggood was kind enough to send a replacement PCB. It even arrived in record time!
rexless is online now Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:50 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2012
1,500 Posts
On disabling MOPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromgermany View Post
Yes, that helps getting airborne.
But the protection did cut the power in free flight again sometimes with one of mine 9116 so I decided to take no risks anymore and disable the MOPS on any 9116 I've ever had my hands on. No negative effects so far.
Anyway: Have fun with your 9116, budasac! And you may be right - as long as you encounter no problems, fly it as it is
-mike-
Shortly after bridging the MOPS on one of my 9116's I had a brainf--t while flying it and almost hit a tree. I cut the power (I thought) and dropped the TX and ran over to the heli because I thought it went into my pond. Instead it was in the tall grass and making a squealing noise. I picked it up and the rotors began spinning with a big clump of grass on them. With the MOPS bypassed I was sure I fried the pcb. Turned out when I checked the tx it was at 1/2 throttle. Nothing was harmed on the heli and I would estimate that the motors were stalled in the grass for 7 to 10 seconds. They are one tough bird. In my opinion you're right in disabling them: they cause nothing but problems.
Pa flyer is offline Find More Posts by Pa flyer
Old Oct 04, 2012, 06:42 PM
Bvc
Registered User
United States, TX, Houston
Joined May 2012
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifinsword View Post
Glad your TX works now after that quick 'fix'. If anyone is interested, I found 9116-26 Transmitters for sale at HobbyPartz.com for $7. Hard to believe it's the whole thing. We'll see when it gets here. I ordered one to have as a spare and to use on my V911s.
Don
Got mine at xheli for $7 + shipping. Came today. The throttle was sticking a little at zero but worked. Then didn't. When it worked it had a clicking sound. I assume this is normal? Does this sound like something I can fix if I open it up? I don't even want the clicking. Is it something that can be removed or is it internal?
Bvc is offline Find More Posts by Bvc
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:15 PM
Bvc
Registered User
United States, TX, Houston
Joined May 2012
330 Posts
Is this the answer to my question?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1926

EDIT: Got it!
Bvc is offline Find More Posts by Bvc
Last edited by Bvc; Oct 04, 2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:40 AM
Dirk
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2012
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexless View Post
Good idea. So I took the multimeter and touched it to the case of the motor and to the solder point on the back of the motor's little circuit board and it's definitely grounded to that. Now do I need to check it against some other location as well?

In other news, since I have the mops problem and this issue banggood was kind enough to send a replacement PCB. It even arrived in record time!
What I found with mine was that the actual blob of solder (on the centre of the motor) was connected to the motor PCB but when I checked directly next to the solder (on the centre point of the motor) I could determine the solder was not making contact with the motor - I hope this explanation makes sense...

It is also worthwhile checking that tail motor is grounded as well. It has a bare wire soldered from the motor pcb onto the case.

When I had range issues I fiddled with a few things at once and the problem was solved. So I am not sure which one finally did it . See the following post:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2847
I hope it helps!

Dirk
501419 is offline Find More Posts by 501419
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:28 AM
Brent 黑雁
BThirsk's Avatar
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromgermany View Post
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3554
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2096
You may try a MJX F45 stock tail motor. BThirsk wanted to test it a few weeks ago.
N60ies are to heavy for this heli - it will become unbalanced and you have to add weight in the nose what decreases flight time.
-mike-
I finally got a chance to mount the F45 tail motor in the 9116.
It uses the same plug as the main motor on the pcb, so I just plugged into the main motor socket to test. It is a perfect fit and functions the same as the stock tail motor, only more power.
That should be a good replacement for the stock motor and will probably last forever on the 9116 as it spins a prop almost twice the size in the F45.
I did not test fly because I am ginving this heli to my grandson this weekend. It just got too hard to switch between flying this and CP helis. It is a good beginner heli that helps improve your skills.
Best of luck to everyone and happy flying.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:20 AM
Ain't crashing often anymore
mikefromgermany's Avatar
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
I finally got a chance to mount the F45 tail motor in the 9116.
It uses the same plug as the main motor on the pcb, so I just plugged into the main motor socket to test. It is a perfect fit and functions the same as the stock tail motor, only more power.
That should be a good replacement for the stock motor and will probably last forever on the 9116 as it spins a prop almost twice the size in the F45.
I did not test fly because I am ginving this heli to my grandson this weekend. It just got too hard to switch between flying this and CP helis. It is a good beginner heli that helps improve your skills.
Best of luck to everyone and happy flying.
Thanks a lot for the info!
-mike-
mikefromgermany is online now Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:32 PM
Micro Menace
Joined Aug 2012
492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
I finally got a chance to mount the F45 tail motor in the 9116.
It uses the same plug as the main motor on the pcb, so I just plugged into the main motor socket to test. It is a perfect fit and functions the same as the stock tail motor, only more power.
That should be a good replacement for the stock motor and will probably last forever on the 9116 as it spins a prop almost twice the size in the F45.
I did not test fly because I am ginving this heli to my grandson this weekend. It just got too hard to switch between flying this and CP helis. It is a good beginner heli that helps improve your skills.
Best of luck to everyone and happy flying.
That's good to hear. I was thinking about ordering an Xtreme Pro main motor for mine but I was afraid the tail wouldn't be able to keep up with the torque. I'll have to try the two together.
Budasac is offline Find More Posts by Budasac
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:56 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2012
4 Posts
Please excuse me for making a shortcut to post up this question without researching too deep into this thread. (I worked my way till page 10 without any luck )
Where I can find a stronger servo arm to replace the stock one of the 9116?
runningupthathil is offline Find More Posts by runningupthathil
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:25 AM
Ain't crashing often anymore
mikefromgermany's Avatar
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningupthathil View Post
Please excuse me for making a shortcut to post up this question without researching too deep into this thread. (I worked my way till page 10 without any luck )
Where I can find a stronger servo arm to replace the stock one of the 9116?
So your servo horns bend and slide up the servo rod?
You don't need stronger rods - just:
reheat the bent servo horn and straighten it ( it will last till you get some spares), do the servo move mod, readjust the servo travel, and finally you can buy these:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=3750
As it is your first post I assume you are new to this hobby?
If so, I strongly recommend reading stormforce's tech-manual regarding the 9116 and do all swash-adjustments first.
You can download it there:
http://customers.skymesh.net.au/%7Em...ech_manual.pdf
or look in his blog:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=384746

If your servo is damaged already you can buy a cheaper than stock replacement incl horns here: (it's better to have a spare in the shelf anyway, just in case )
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=10192

Have fun
-mike-
mikefromgermany is online now Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:56 AM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2012
4 Posts
This is amazing! such a quality post with lots of information! Much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromgermany View Post
So your servo horns bend and slide up the servo rod?
You don't need stronger rods - just:
reheat the bent servo horn and straighten it ( it will last till you get some spares), do the servo move mod, readjust the servo travel, and finally you can buy these:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=3750
As it is your first post I assume you are new to this hobby?
If so, I strongly recommend reading stormforce's tech-manual regarding the 9116 and do all swash-adjustments first.
You can download it there:
http://customers.skymesh.net.au/%7Em...ech_manual.pdf
or look in his blog:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=384746

If your servo is damaged already you can buy a cheaper than stock replacement incl horns here: (it's better to have a spare in the shelf anyway, just in case )
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=10192

Have fun
-mike-
runningupthathil is offline Find More Posts by runningupthathil
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:40 AM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2012
4 Posts
In addition, would these arms fit 9116 stock servos?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...o_Arm_Set.html
runningupthathil is offline Find More Posts by runningupthathil
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product the first double horse 2.4G and 4CH single blade helicopter 9116 hkmtk Beginner Training Area (Heli-Electric) 32 May 21, 2013 01:27 PM
Help! Heli Spins out when ascending (Z101, looks like the double horse) Shlofter Electric Heli Talk 5 Aug 16, 2012 01:59 AM
Discussion Double Horse 9097 24" Heli Jake8131 Electric Heli Talk 8 Mar 14, 2012 07:05 AM
Sold 9089 Double Horse Shuttle Electric Heli w/Video DVR Senor Jack Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 0 Apr 10, 2011 08:15 PM