SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 08, 2011, 12:49 AM
France, IdF, Châtenay-Malabry
Joined Aug 2010
287 Posts
Hello,

I'd like more info on how to make 12v with the equilibrating plug? To me, on a 4S, there is 3 x 3.3V and one share ground. Putting them in parallel will still give 3.3V and I don't figure out how to put 3 of them in serial to make 12v without making a shortcut as the ground is shared between the 3. Could somebody give a wiring diagram?

Greg
glambert is offline Find More Posts by glambert
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2011, 11:07 AM
Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Patricks Island
Joined Nov 2005
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275 View Post
thanks, what pins are you using from the lipo? is there a connector designed to connect to the balance connector that isnt on a board?
Quote:
Originally Posted by glambert View Post
Hello,

I'd like more info on how to make 12v with the equilibrating plug? To me, on a 4S, there is 3 x 3.3V and one share ground. Putting them in parallel will still give 3.3V and I don't figure out how to put 3 of them in serial to make 12v without making a shortcut as the ground is shared between the 3. Could somebody give a wiring diagram?

Greg
Hi Guys,

Okay so i'm using a standard JST-XH 4s Balance plug, now i've attached a pic for the pin breakdown, but use a multimeter to check before hand, just in case your plug is wired different, it shouldn't be though.

Then it is just a case of making a plug to tap into pin 1 (Positive for the Pack) and Pin 4 (3s Negative on the pack). You can probably buy a male JST-XH plug i've just not looked yet, however i just made mine for now using an old JST-XH housing and some spare pins i had. As you can see in my second pic, and the last of how the two plug together.

Hope this helps you guys.

All the best

Danny
drmgcm is online now Find More Posts by drmgcm
Old Nov 08, 2011, 06:37 PM
Multi Rotor Maniac
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Oct 2007
2,839 Posts
Ive been using a small 3 cell lipo for powering the vTx and camera too but I really should try out the balance plug method. Saves grams plus it saves having to charge another battery.
Stunt Double is offline Find More Posts by Stunt Double
Old Nov 08, 2011, 10:51 PM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
It's probably apparent, but still I'll put it out here... When using the balance-plug method for powering your VTX - make sure you get the polarity right the first time! There are no second chances once the genie has been released from the electronics.
crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj
Old Nov 08, 2011, 11:06 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
yeah definately. i was hoping to get a connector for it so that I couldnt plug it in the wrong way.

have not had time to really look.

also the voltage use from 12 components might be enough to cancel out the weight savings.

might
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Nov 08, 2011, 11:12 PM
Australia, NSW, Batemans Bay
Joined Feb 2011
223 Posts
I did one the wrong way once.... and the Genie did get out....

Thats was my best 'small voice'.....
Artie in Aus is offline Find More Posts by Artie in Aus
Old Nov 08, 2011, 11:32 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
I think this is the plug for 4s to tap into the female plug
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...8&pid=B3805292
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Nov 09, 2011, 07:51 AM
Joined Nov 2005
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275 View Post
I think this is the plug for 4s to tap into the female plug
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...8&pid=B3805292
Excellent find, i'll be ordering some of them too, but Jason is correct, checking polarity on a DIY plug is very essential. I always use a multimeter to test my pos and neg outputs etc.

Toasted many electronics years ago by not checking.

All the best

Danny
Old Nov 11, 2011, 02:43 AM
disenfranchised...
Joined May 2010
1,393 Posts
hey guys,

here is something a little different..... i shot this for a mate who removed a 45m (147ft) tree from a backyard in Sydney Australia... Aerial shots were done using a multiwiicopter PARIS Sirius & SCARAB YSiix and hexiicopter - http://www.multiwiicopter.com/produc...opter-multiwii

hope you all enjoy!!

Cheers,

John

Shepherd's Tree Service - Promo Clip (5 min 3 sec)
AP_OZ is offline Find More Posts by AP_OZ
Old Nov 11, 2011, 03:04 AM
Australia, NSW, Batemans Bay
Joined Feb 2011
223 Posts
Johno...thats is way cool.... particularly for a boy who is not good with heights... I really respect the ability to stand up there....
Artie in Aus is offline Find More Posts by Artie in Aus
Old Nov 11, 2011, 05:49 AM
Slovenia
Joined Feb 2011
848 Posts
I've tried the new GoPro HERO2. It has some improvements. But for the aerial video where the frames are important you still have the same wide angle on 720p 50fps.

You can only change angles on 1080p mode.
Just for the info =)
quadslo is offline Find More Posts by quadslo
Old Nov 11, 2011, 02:48 PM
Joined Nov 2005
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP_OZ View Post
hey guys,

here is something a little different..... i shot this for a mate who removed a 45m (147ft) tree from a backyard in Sydney Australia... Aerial shots were done using a multiwiicopter PARIS Sirius & SCARAB YSiix and hexiicopter - http://www.multiwiicopter.com/produc...opter-multiwii

hope you all enjoy!!

Cheers,

John

http://vimeo.com/31945584
Excellent Video man, well put together and very professional.

All the best

Danny
Old Nov 12, 2011, 01:35 PM
Joined Aug 2010
287 Posts
Hello,

After my trip in Tahiti, I am asking myself why not tailoring my quadocta with short boom, like 15 cm instead of 26. With a quad octa frame, that would still give a distance between props in the range of what is the Gaui 330. So if the jerky Gaui can be stable, I don't think a tune PID on the multiwii cannot do it... But the big advantage will be that this quad will fit in my suitcase without needing to disassemble the booms. Maybe this could give less vibrations as well, I never had vibrations or gello with the Gaui and never balanced anything. Please share your experience if you tried the short booms.
Gregory
Old Nov 14, 2011, 11:36 AM
Joined Aug 2010
287 Posts
With all the feedback received, I thought that I would better do it and test it... Here is it, the Scarab compliant with cabin luggage for frequent travelers... I cut the booms to 12 cm then the 8'' props just not overlap with the frame. This gives a diagonal of about 40 cm. I hesitated between using only the small frames or the quadocta frame but I found it is taking less place in the case with the quadocta frame. Very stable flight when auto level is on. Not tested in FPV yet as I miss some daylight when I come back from work... Gregory
Last edited by glambert; Nov 14, 2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 03:32 PM
Slovenia
Joined Feb 2011
848 Posts
Tell us your findings I have little shorter booms on my mini scarab and it flies great. When the camera mount will be complete it could fly with the GoPro without the case.
quadslo is offline Find More Posts by quadslo