HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:17 PM
Registered User
LA Ming's Avatar
Poteau, OK
Joined Nov 2008
441 Posts
Thanks again for the continued input on my question.

As for glue n' tape on a wing: If it helps me to salvage an afternoon I've set aside for flying, I'm cool with it. The wing/whatever can be replaced later when it's time to refurbish the airplane.

These modular foamie airplanes are cooler than a witch's rear!
LA Ming is offline Find More Posts by LA Ming
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:40 PM
Registered User
Wamp's Avatar
Joined Mar 2012
2,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by degreen60 View Post
I do not see a crashed plane as trash but as an opportunity to make the plane into something else. Either by bashing the remains, such as my Thomas Morse Scout made from a crashed Eflite SE5A or just a repaint like my Parkzone F4F or FW190.
There is a point were a unit is more expensive to fix than simply replacing it.
However mix and matching keeps things have interesting!
The bone pile is picked on! Call it recycling!
Love to see your TM Scout! Chris
Wamp is offline Find More Posts by Wamp
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:39 AM
Registered User
Bloomfield, IN
Joined Nov 2006
927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wamp View Post
There is a point were a unit is more expensive to fix than simply replacing it.
However mix and matching keeps things have interesting!
The bone pile is picked on! Call it recycling!
Love to see your TM Scout! Chris
Here is the TM Scout plus a couple I bashed from wreaked GWS Tiger Moths, a Brequet 14 and SPAD XI.
degreen60 is online now Find More Posts by degreen60
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:36 AM
Registered User
Wamp's Avatar
Joined Mar 2012
2,072 Posts
Thanks Degreen!
They must look great in the Indiana sky!
Are there pontoons on the Scout?
I stole the rx from my GWS pico Tigermoth, but just got a cheapo
(Spetrum compatiable) from heads up.
Your rigging looks cool and must be functioal.
With a 300 motor it is easy to fly the wings off!
Rigging improved the little Great Planes Sopwith Pup considerably.
Thank! I still can not seem to post pix from droid. Chris
Wamp is offline Find More Posts by Wamp
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:08 AM
Registered User
Bloomfield, IN
Joined Nov 2006
927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wamp View Post
Thanks Degreen!
They must look great in the Indiana sky!
Are there pontoons on the Scout?
I stole the rx from my GWS pico Tigermoth, but just got a cheapo
(Spetrum compatiable) from heads up.
Your rigging looks cool and must be functioal.
With a 300 motor it is easy to fly the wings off!
Rigging improved the little Great Planes Sopwith Pup considerably.
Thank! I still can not seem to post pix from droid. Chris
Yes the Tommie has floats. The rigging is functional. I have about 10 planes that were crashed and trashed that I got my hands on and bashed or rebuilt. If you crash a Parkzone don't throw it away, if you can not fix it mail to me and let me see what I can make out of it. If you go to my blog on here you can see some of my before and after pictures.
degreen60 is online now Find More Posts by degreen60
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:26 AM
Registered User
Wamp's Avatar
Joined Mar 2012
2,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by degreen60 View Post
Yes the Tommie has floats. The rigging is functional. I have about 10 planes that were crashed and trashed that I got my hands on and bashed or rebuilt. If you crash a Parkzone don't throw it away, if you can not fix it mail to me and let me see what I can make out of it. If you go to my blog on here you can see some of my before and after pictures.
Thanks. I did check out your blog. Excellent work!
It rekindles my love for bipes.
It was natural for me to put aside 'scalers' to get flying skills first.
Wildcat seemed like middle ground!
Lucky me, The Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome is near by. So I can get a 1:1 fix!
Summer and fall air shows are big bang for the buck.
Also there is a molder's museum, full of old time builds.
GP Sopwith Pup on the bench! Chris
Wamp is offline Find More Posts by Wamp
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:11 PM
You Know What I Mean
LaserBeam's Avatar
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Dec 2011
895 Posts
Middle Ground

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wamp View Post
It was natural for me to put aside 'scalers' to get flying skills first. Wildcat seemed like middle ground!

Yeah the Parkzone Wildcat, Trojan and Mustang have good flight characteristics.
All of them handle well and float right on in for stress-free landings.
None of them are blisteringly fast but they have more than enough speed for the average park and the average pilot.
Each has enough power and torque to pull her skyward and to deal with a bit of wind.
Their roll-rate is good and makes for entertaining flights and they can handle a pounding
(except for the thin Wildcat cowling which splits easily).
Parkzone make such awesome birds.
I reckon you made a good choice with the Wildcat
LaserBeam is offline Find More Posts by LaserBeam
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 06:40 AM
Registered User
Wamp's Avatar
Joined Mar 2012
2,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserBeam View Post

Yeah the Parkzone Wildcat, Trojan and Mustang have good flight characteristics.
All of them handle well and float right on in for stress-free landings.
None of them are blisteringly fast but they have more than enough speed for the average park and the average pilot.
Each has enough power and torque to pull her skyward and to deal with a bit of wind.
Their roll-rate is good and makes for entertaining flights and they can handle a pounding
(except for the thin Wildcat cowling which splits easily).
Parkzone make such awesome birds.
I reckon you made a good choice with the Wildcat
Yes Yes! Next has been an E-flight mini Ultra stick.
A cross over for power systems at the door for about $100.00.
No dihedril, symetrical wings and stiff with gear.
Wildcat is now butter!
And my hanger gueen bipes are back on line!
Thanks Chris
Wamp is offline Find More Posts by Wamp
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:06 PM
You Know What I Mean
LaserBeam's Avatar
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Dec 2011
895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyntx View Post
Here is a pic of my UM T-28 I painted.

A fair bit easier to see a Wildcat in a blue sky with that yellow you used on the T-28, i imagine.
LaserBeam is offline Find More Posts by LaserBeam
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:19 AM
tree hugger
Joined Sep 2012
35 Posts
Hi, I just got a really good deal on an airframe only. Can anyone recommend a good cheap motor for this. I don't need crazy power, I just want something economical that goes well in it. I'm looking forward to this. It looks like a nice plane.

Also has anyone tried flaperons with it? how did it go?
footsy is offline Find More Posts by footsy
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:31 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
pugsam's Avatar
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyntx View Post
.....Here is a pic of my UM T-28 I painted. Yes, the rudder was not on yet.
That yellow looks great!

Can you share the specific color and brand?

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:44 PM
I live on LiPos
RcAirplaneNoob's Avatar
United States, DE
Joined Jul 2012
691 Posts
Ive never actually flown mine i forgot to check throws and instantly crashed it.
RcAirplaneNoob is offline Find More Posts by RcAirplaneNoob
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:14 AM
You Know What I Mean
LaserBeam's Avatar
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Dec 2011
895 Posts
TurnigyAerodriveXp TR35-36C 1100kv Motor & CustomRCParts Motor Mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by footsy View Post
Hi, I just got a really good deal on an airframe only. Can anyone recommend a good cheap motor for this. I don't need crazy power, I just want something economical that goes well in it. I'm looking forward to this. It looks like a nice plane. Also has anyone tried flaperons with it? how did it go?

The Turnigy 35-36C 1100kv motor looks good,
(see how well it performs on YouTube - search Wildcat motor).
Some are using it with a 2200mah LiPo battery.
Grab one of these MOTOR MOUNTS so the motor easily fits the Wildcat and looks even cooler.

Turnigy AerodriveXp TR35-36C 1100kv motor.
Price: US$25+post
Heres the details from Hobby King and the link:
TURNIGY AerodriveXp
Model: TR35-36C
Input Voltage : 7.4V~11.1V (2~3S Li-po)
Kv : 1100rpm/V within 10%
Current capacity : 35A/30s
Dimentions : 35mm X 36mm / 1.38in X 1.41in
Shaft diameter : 4mm / 0.16in
Weight : 106g / 3.74oz
Number of poles/magnets : 14
Recommended model weight : 1000~1900g / 35~67oz
Power equivalent : .25 to .30 IC glow engine
Stator Dimentions: 28x14mm
Power: 400W+
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._AXi_2814.html

'Custom RC Parts' have a MOTOR MOUNT for the Turnigy 3536 100kv motor
with the ParkZone F4F Wildcat, (made from billet aluminium).
Price: US$16+post
Here's the details from CustomRCparts and the link:
The Custom RC Parts designed motor mount for the ParkZone F4F Wildcat.
This mount allows you to install an E-flite 480, Turnigy 3536C-1100 or a Rimfire 3536-1200 on a ParkZone F4F Wildcat.
It is machined out of 6061-T6 billet Aluminum.
All fasteners are included.
http://www.customrcparts.com/index.p...ida9l43qcgs6l7

If this motor is a bit quicker than you were after you can downsize it.
The Turnigy motors arent the best but they do the job for a good price.

As for 'Flaperons' i think somone here did try that but i'd probably give the flaperon idea a big miss.
The Wildcat is such a sweet flyer and lands without problems.
Im not sure flaperons would improve the flying experience much
Anyway i hope this was helpful. Enjoy.
LaserBeam is offline Find More Posts by LaserBeam
Last edited by LaserBeam; Nov 24, 2012 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Typo Bro
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:58 AM
Registered User
Wamp's Avatar
Joined Mar 2012
2,072 Posts
Yes the nicely priced Turnigy 3536 I ran for years did a fine job.
Even with the stock prop Wildcat woke up.
I used the stock motor mount with washers behind it.
Reversing the motor shaft allowed use of the stock spinner with no mods to the cowl.
I understand the new generation Turnigy is a bit lighter.

Check out heads up RC for some thing in the 450-480 class. They ship quickly for like $2.00!
Thought of flaperons, but with the airlons being so far out board I was worried stalls would be unpredictable.
A trick I have now tried, is to set ailerons a degree or two, equally up from center.
Some guys do that if they are nervous about a maiden.
Naturally inverted flight is tough.
Wildcat really is too sweet as is! Good luck. Chris
Wamp is offline Find More Posts by Wamp
Last edited by Wamp; Nov 24, 2012 at 04:07 AM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:58 AM
I live on LiPos
RcAirplaneNoob's Avatar
United States, DE
Joined Jul 2012
691 Posts
What is the point of changing the motor? The motor in it is good right?
RcAirplaneNoob is offline Find More Posts by RcAirplaneNoob
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Parkzone F4F Wildcat WOW!!!! ilovejets1 Parkflyers 34 Dec 09, 2010 09:29 PM
Build Log Dumas 17.5" F4F Wildcat LoneRanger Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 53 Jul 07, 2010 09:34 AM
Wanted TRADE MY NEW EFLITE P47 your ALFA F4F WILDCAT! BRUTUS2238 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Jun 10, 2010 09:31 AM
Discussion The first OFFICIAL Parkzone Sukhoi SU-26XP BNF by ParkZone Owners thread skyjet Micro Ready-to-Fly 2 Mar 19, 2010 03:00 PM
Discussion Scratchbuilt F4F Wildcat kylewoody Parkflyers 2 Sep 01, 2009 08:18 PM