HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 06, 2014, 02:01 PM
More Motors, More Fun... :-)
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jan 2008
692 Posts
When in doubt, use epoxy. It IS always the strongest most reliable way to go.
nioa is online now Find More Posts by nioa
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: VQ Models T-34 Mentor 61.4"...
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2014, 05:38 PM
Life is a Hobby
Canada, ON, Delhi
Joined Aug 2012
905 Posts
Speaking of epoxy................there were some references to the strength of the landing gear plate a few pages back.

After about two dozen "normal" landings the landing gear plate on my 70 inch Revolver popped loose during a landing. Clean break. No serious damage. Tore the white Monokote a bit around the plate.

Examining the glue-bearing surfaces around the plate, I was surprised how little glue there is. There are two lengths of 3/8 tri stock under the front and back of the plate glued to the plate, firewall and F1. That is the only glue. There are tongues on the front and back of the plate fitting into slots in the firewall and F1. No glue in these slots. Also no glue between the plate edges and the firewall and F1. If there was glue in these areas the plate would probably not have popped out.

The narrow sides of the plate butt against soft balsa so no solid glue surface there.

Am rebuilding and applying epoxy six ways from Sunday to all edges, slots, tongues and replaced the 3/8 tri stock with 1/2 tri. The plate popped back into place no problem. Don`t have white Monokote so will use white SolarTex to recover the area. Sitting on the ground or 200 feet in the air no one will notice.

I saw a previous reference about going through the slots in the battery/tank tray and applying epoxy to all the nooks and crannies around the plate. Doing this would get glue into the the tongue slots and plate edges.Would strongly recommend this to any new purchaser of the Revolver.

Saw previous posts about no problem with the landing gear. Maybe these flyers have Revolvers from different production runs where more glue was applied around the plate.

Bill
erie_flyer is offline Find More Posts by erie_flyer
Old Jun 06, 2014, 06:35 PM
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Aug 2006
161 Posts
I floated epoxy in the landing gear area of mine per this thread, and it has held up perfectly. My first few landings were pretty rough before I figured out how to land this plane, without the extra hold I'm sure mine would have folded.
P Farley is offline Find More Posts by P Farley
Old Aug 26, 2014, 09:40 AM
Airplane Addict
Spartanburg, SC
Joined Jan 2008
241 Posts
I'm running a .91FS in mine. My unfamiliarity at the time with tuning resulted in a few dead stick landings. I found out rather quickly that I should have reinforced my gear during assembly.
Since I added two 1/2 inch oak supports to the mounting plate, it has endoured more than you'd ever believe.

All together, I love this plane, and I'm itching for the giant scale version!
LeeHene is offline Find More Posts by LeeHene
Old Aug 31, 2014, 08:23 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,414 Posts
this is my dream sport flyer for sure! i love that its NOT a extra, edge or yak. lol. beautiful lines and sexy looking standing still. i need to get rid of some of my smaller planes to justify another purchase to the other half. just finished putting together this so i need to wait a bit.
walter3rd is offline Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Sep 01, 2014, 06:42 AM
United States, NY, Queens County
Joined Jun 2007
1,172 Posts
Got my revolver flying this summer with a new dle20 swinging a 14x12 prop @9100rpms. She's probably doing close to 100mph. Should have more rpms, but engine is brand new. My favorite plane to fly. Did landing gear mod after ripping it off, she's not as my 6s powered 46 revolver but she sure flies for a lot llonger.so long that I am thinking of getting a tank half the size lol
kremecheze is online now Find More Posts by kremecheze
Old Sep 01, 2014, 02:22 PM
Airplane Addict
Spartanburg, SC
Joined Jan 2008
241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kremecheze View Post
Got my revolver flying this summer with a new dle20 swinging a 14x12 prop @9100rpms.
I've thought about switching to the DLE20. How did your CG balance out with it?
LeeHene is offline Find More Posts by LeeHene
Old Sep 01, 2014, 08:22 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,414 Posts
i saw this planes big brother today at the club. wow! now that's a sexy plane!!!!!!!!! drooool.
walter3rd is offline Find More Posts by walter3rd