New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 17, 2015, 02:36 PM
Find More Posts by serairdog
United States, NJ, Absecon
Joined May 2008
130 Posts
Help!
servos, ailerons

Thanks in advance for any help, I'm trying to set up my plane (home made p-38) I would like to have a servo for each one of my ailerons. My set up is two ailerons, and elevator. My rx is a Spectrum d6xi, and my receiver is a Spectrum AR 400. I tried using a y connector but of course the servos work together both going in the same direction, I would like to control each aileron separately.
serairdog is offline Find More Posts by serairdog
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2015, 02:44 PM
Find More Posts by Joe Perrone
doha Qatar
Joined Jan 2004
643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by serairdog View Post
Thanks in advance for any help, I'm trying to set up my plane (home made p-38) I would like to have a servo for each one of my ailerons. My set up is two ailerons, and elevator. My rx is a Spectrum d6xi, and my receiver is a Spectrum AR 400. I tried using a y connector but of course the servos work together both going in the same direction, I would like to control each aileron separately.
There's a simple trick for that. You place one servo so that the top of it, with the servo arm, is pointed towards the right. The other one is placed so that the top is pointed to the left. When a signal goes out to those servos, one extends, the other retracts.

Regards
Joe Perrone is offline Find More Posts by Joe Perrone
Old Apr 17, 2015, 08:38 PM
Joined May 2008
130 Posts
Thanks Joe, I will try your trick it should be an easy fix, although I was wondering if there was a way to control both servos through my d6xi, that way I could trim them separately.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 09:10 PM
Find More Posts by Mac50L
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,242 Posts
You can lay the servos horizontally or vertically. As long as the axles of the servos or the arms are pointing in opposite dierections they will work the ailerons OK.
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
Old Apr 17, 2015, 10:32 PM
Find More Posts by Ira NZ
Bombs away! Err...landing
Upper Hutt, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2006
2,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by serairdog View Post
Thanks Joe, I will try your trick it should be an easy fix, although I was wondering if there was a way to control both servos through my d6xi, that way I could trim them separately.
I don't know about dx6, but most transmitters you'd plug the second aileron into channel 5 or 6 and there will be a mix function that joins the two, except one channel is reversed. It's probably the most common mix so I'd be surprised if yours doesn't have that capability.
Ira NZ is online now Find More Posts by Ira NZ
Old Apr 18, 2015, 02:34 AM
Find More Posts by slipstick
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
11,287 Posts
It is possible to control the aileron servos separately with a DX6i (using DualAile mode in wing type).

But that uses channel 6 for the second aileron....so you can't do it with a 4-channel receiver like the AR400. It doesn't have a channel 6 .

Steve
slipstick is online now Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Apr 18, 2015, 01:09 PM
Joined May 2008
130 Posts
Thanks guys I think I got it now, info was a big help .
Old May 01, 2015, 05:10 AM
Find More Posts by Daniel003
Australia, VIC, Bendigo
Joined Apr 2014
151 Posts
Just use a y harnes and have both the servo horns either facing one another or away from each other, try and get the horns as centred as possible and adjust pushrods to suit, making sure the ailerons are dead centre when you make/adjust your pushrods. That is the easiest way.
Daniel003 is offline Find More Posts by Daniel003