SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:02 PM
Always In Need Of COFFEE!!!
United States, NJ, Old Bridge Township
Joined Jan 2013
24 Posts
Discussion
Can Anyone Identify This Plane... Help Please

I was given this plane as a gift.. needs repair its wingspan is 47 1/2 length is 33 1/2 has a 15 size motor 2 cycle inverted odd fuel tank is aft ofg canopy.. age is approx 10 years. Im trying to identify type aand maybe mfg or plans.. looks like maybee early laser?? or extra? scratch or kit?

any ideas

thanks Frankie?
frankie1k is online now Find More Posts by frankie1k
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:41 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, QC, Quebec City
Joined Sep 2006
5,913 Posts
Having the fuel tank so far from the engine and way behind the CG it has never been flown,assuming the engine run at all beyond the prime!
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:36 PM
Joined Jan 2013
24 Posts
Not so concerned with CG right now , as the plane has many other issues. My aerodynamic math is great and been modeling for over 20 years... I just trying to figure out this interesting lil plane...

What it is, and who made it.. from what plans.... or kit?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:03 PM
Rocky Mountain High and Higher
Joined Jan 2002
877 Posts
I would toss a penny in a wishing well and wait for the answer. May be a scratch build.
PROACE is offline Find More Posts by PROACE
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:07 PM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,564 Posts
it looks like a scratch built!

I can't say for shure, but if memory serv's Rich Uralvich,(or how ever it's spelled) had a plan for a plane that was 15 ta 25 size, around that wing span!

can't even recall what he called it, but looked alot like what you have!
whiskykid is online now Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sig Mustang 450
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:28 PM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,564 Posts
this is the one I was thinking!

http://www.eurekaaircraft.com/plan_kits/extra3-25.htm
whiskykid is online now Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sig Mustang 450
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:57 PM
Joined Jan 2013
24 Posts
I think the extra 3.25 is it thanks guys appreciate it... looks like scratch build definately. I agree and since it was in very popular publication here almost certain... going to strip her down and look for that.. going to look for the origional builder.. found a tag deep inside her and he is a local guy... a couple of towns away.. If anyone has any other pointers or ideas please keep going...

Also found many, hate to say it, poor construction issues but none that can't be addressed..

Goning to order those plans from air age and compare..

Happy Flying..
Frank

PS Thanks Wiskykid for the links.. add the spinner and dimensions spot on..
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:01 PM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
4,065 Posts
Yup, I came in here to say Extra 3.25. I always wanted to build one. Not to beat a dead horse, but as coriolan said, it probably won't be able to draw fuel with lines that long, and it really would be bad to fly with a CG that will get more tail heavy as you fly. Assuming that it's back there because they thought the tank was too small... that little OS will run for quite a while on a 4 oz. tank, that would be my recommendation.
ChillPhatCat is offline Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:42 PM
I HATE GLOW PLUGS!
United States, NY, St Lawrence
Joined Feb 2012
1,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillPhatCat View Post
Yup, I came in here to say Extra 3.25. I always wanted to build one. Not to beat a dead horse, but as coriolan said, it probably won't be able to draw fuel with lines that long, and it really would be bad to fly with a CG that will get more tail heavy as you fly. Assuming that it's back there because they thought the tank was too small... that little OS will run for quite a while on a 4 oz. tank, that would be my recommendation.

On the contrary, W/the fuel load ahead of the CG the plane gets more tail heavy as it flies.

In this instance, the plane will get less tail heavy as it flies as the fuel load diminishes behind the CG..

Just like the 85 gallon fuel tank behind the CG on the P-51. At take off, the plane was tail heavy. Pilots made sure to drain that tank 1st as if they got into a dog fight W/the tank full, the plane was very unstable.
SrTelemaster is offline Find More Posts by SrTelemaster
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:07 PM
Joined Jan 2013
24 Posts
yea the trick is to be ever so slightly tail heavy with a full fuel load... but plans are on the way and tear apart has commenced will post pics as they develop.. Revampin a sporster 120 FS for now. Another Swap meet find... happy happy
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:11 PM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
Joined Oct 2008
4,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SrTelemaster View Post
On the contrary, W/the fuel load ahead of the CG the plane gets more tail heavy as it flies.

In this instance, the plane will get less tail heavy as it flies as the fuel load diminishes behind the CG..

Just like the 85 gallon fuel tank behind the CG on the P-51. At take off, the plane was tail heavy. Pilots made sure to drain that tank 1st as if they got into a dog fight W/the tank full, the plane was very unstable.
Oh yeah dur I messed that up... so used to the tank being in the front. So it will become less aerobatic as it drains the tank.

Regardless, those fuel lines are probably too long.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:16 PM
I HATE GLOW PLUGS!
United States, NY, St Lawrence
Joined Feb 2012
1,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillPhatCat View Post
Oh yeah dur I messed that up... so used to the tank being in the front. So it will become less aerobatic as it drains the tank.

Regardless, those fuel lines are probably too long.
Yes, unless there is some sort of pump it won't run beyond prime.
SrTelemaster is offline Find More Posts by SrTelemaster
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:33 PM
Joined Jan 2013
24 Posts
Can wait to see the plans buikld and the article to try and figure out what this guy did ... ps found out there is a pump behind the motor..
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:16 PM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
Joined Oct 2008
4,065 Posts
lol So very strange, I wonder what went through the builder's mind. That's a lot of effort to mount the tank remotely on such a small model. Wish I could say that I kept that issue of MAN and look this up, but I tossed it along with most of my other mags when I moved out of my mom's house.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:25 PM
Fla.
Joined Apr 2005
989 Posts
I have a 3.25 hanging in the back bedroom and there are a couple things that look different then mine. The canopy shape is different , not so stubby in front and the cowl is more round on yours but that could be the builders choice. My landing gear is foreward of the wing where yours is right at the leading edge ( again maybe the builders choice.

I got mine from one of my old students : I went over to his house one day and he said he had something for me to look at. On his work bench was 2 - 3.25's framed out, he ask me which one I wanted and what covering and trim. We ended up switching the color scheme and I used a different trim color. They were 2 really nice lookers and they flew Great . His had an OS 25 and mine had an OS ?? 4 stroke ( to long ago ) .

He passed away a couple years ago and I just keep it flying in the back bedroom in his honor, he was a super student, a great builder and a Greater friend. He took over as lead instructor at our club when I went on the road . I really miss all the great times we had togeather .

Sorry about carring on but you brought up the memories. lol ENJOY !!! RED
redh is offline Find More Posts by redh