SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 23, 2014, 01:12 AM
I74
United States, IA, Cedar Rapids
Joined Jan 2013
688 Posts
Hi Shoe.. I Read your previous posts about the north bay.. I'am originally from there myself, haven't been back in 28 years though, hope to for good someday... Any way back on topic,, I'am not up to speed on the E - flite integrated electronics,, could you please explain the purpose of an esc in this unpowered plane.. You guys have got me stumped on that one... Is it to run the servos or something??? Just haven't messed with E - flite micro stuff yet...
I74 is offline Find More Posts by I74
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2014, 01:17 AM
micro- modding madman
United States, VA, Charlottesville
Joined Aug 2014
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I74 View Post
Hi Shoe.. I Read your previous posts about the north bay.. I'am originally from there myself, haven't been back in 28 years though, hope to for good someday... Any way back on topic,, I'am not up to speed on the E - flite integrated electronics,, could you please explain the purpose of an esc in this unpowered plane.. You guys have got me stumped on that one... Is it to run the servos or something??? Just haven't messed with E - flite micro stuff yet...
Its a 'standard' brick built to serve multiple purposes- so the same brick in the ASK might also be found in the UM spitfire.

The boards aren't built to serve the model- its just best fit.
Julezwatts is offline Find More Posts by Julezwatts
Old Dec 23, 2014, 01:20 AM
I74
Joined Jan 2013
688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julezwatts View Post
Its a 'standard' brick built to serve multiple purposes- so the same brick in the ASK might also be found in the UM spitfire.

The boards aren't built to serve the model- its just best fit.
Thanx for the info Julezwatts.. ''Learn something everyday''..
Old Dec 23, 2014, 01:33 AM
I74
Joined Jan 2013
688 Posts
I did read about that the 180 Habu ESC is intergrated also.. Wonder if it is the same?? That Delta V 180 on top of this little ASK would be kicken, especially if the brick had the right spot for that 3 wire motor plug, and the amps were the same. The GP micro F- 86 esc is a separate 6 amp... Looking at the E - Flite pages, I'am not finding info on the ESC ratings, other than it's integrated..
Last edited by I74; Dec 23, 2014 at 02:01 AM. Reason: Added
Old Dec 23, 2014, 01:58 AM
micro- modding madman
United States, VA, Charlottesville
Joined Aug 2014
331 Posts
Quote:
I did read about that the 180 Habu ESC is intergrated also.. Wonder if it is the same?? That Delta V 180 on top of this little ASK would be kicken, especially if the brick had a spot for the 3 wire motor plug, and the amps were the same.
The ASK brick is meant for 1s- the Habu brick is 2s. Most all of the micro bricks have integrated ESC's, but you're going to get a nasty surprise if you try and put a 2s pack into a 1s brick.
Julezwatts is offline Find More Posts by Julezwatts
Last edited by Julezwatts; Dec 23, 2014 at 02:17 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 02:09 AM
I74
Joined Jan 2013
688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julezwatts View Post
The ASK brick is meant for 1s- the Habu brick is 2s. Most all of the micro bricks have integrated ESC's, but you're going to get a nasty surprise if you try and put a 2s cell into a 1s brick.
Thanx again for the info Julezwatts..
Old Dec 23, 2014, 06:42 AM
Joined Jul 2006
722 Posts
Quote:
I did read about that the 180 Habu ESC is intergrated also.. Wonder if it is the same?? That Delta V 180 on top of this little ASK would be kicken, especially if the brick had the right spot for that 3 wire motor plug, and the amps were the same. The GP micro F- 86 esc is a separate 6 amp... Looking at the E - Flite pages, I'am not finding info on the ESC ratings, other than it's integrated..
Many people have mod the plane to EDF with 30mm EDF and external ESC or 2S brick with the the 28mm Eflite EDF. It works all and fly and there are some flying videos on youtube like this:

E-Flite UMX ASK-21 HACKED by Team Abby Normal (5 min 7 sec)

But because of the high wingload it loose the sailing capabilities with the high sink rate and it's more a motorplane than a glider.
microheli is online now Find More Posts by microheli
Old Dec 23, 2014, 02:44 PM
Dragons, WindMills, all Same
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
4,415 Posts
Hi,
Cold weather flying, ship inbound
Although I have some nice quality Hyperion 25C batteries it look like perhaps I should pick up a few 45C to aid in avoiding LVC under load.
Correct?

Jared
jcstalls is online now Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2014, 08:59 AM
United States, FL, Hudson
Joined Apr 2013
859 Posts
Jared:

Is your ask-21 powered?
pjdog350 is online now Find More Posts by pjdog350
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2014, 09:07 AM
Joined Apr 2013
859 Posts
microheli :

What a nice place to fly. All that room?

I really like your 28mm edf. Down side what having to change out the board for a 2s board. I would think that would really drive up the price of the ASK-21?

However - a real nice flier. I can plainly see you have much more power available than my two MSRX tail motors are providing!

jack
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2014, 11:26 AM
Joined May 2002
4,415 Posts
Will be powered and like yours with the twins
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2014, 01:56 PM
Joined Apr 2013
859 Posts
Jcstalls:

Sense a 150 25c 1S was the standard for this glider. Sense I added the little 6mm motors it seemed reasonable to add more mAh to it so I put the 250 Mosquito 1S 25c battery in it. I flies great and has well enough power and flight time.

Good luck.

Jack
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2014, 07:25 PM
Joined May 2002
4,415 Posts
Cool, and I will shop for 250mah batteries.

My shop/garage is decompressing as I need to allow for at least one vehicle for the winter, plus both when nasty weather comes in, as I did not like spending hours getting 12" of ice off my truck a few years ago to get to work. Boss was cool but some customers were not.

Going up to me small humble office

Jared
RCG Plus Member