SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 18, 2012, 07:38 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
One more nugget to chew on as you contemplate radio gear... You will fly further away from yourself then you have ever flown previously ( unless your FPV gear is DragonLink or similar HAM frequency gear). We fly at the edge of our vision in both the vertical and horizontal planes. You may end up a hundred feet off the ground and 3/4 of a mile downwind chasing a thermal, then climb out to 600' just to make it back to the field. Just something to think about.
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2012, 07:41 PM
excelling at mediocrity
Franktown, CO. USA
Joined Mar 2009
3,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishjunky View Post
I know there are a couple of guys flying DLG on the 11x system...
Mike Smith uses the 11X with his Concepts.
gopherhunter is offline Find More Posts by gopherhunter
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 18, 2012, 07:48 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopherhunter View Post
Mike Smith uses the 11X with his Concepts.
Thanks for chiming in John. There you go, the guy cool enough to have a rule named after him uses the 11x...
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Jun 18, 2012, 07:55 PM
excelling at mediocrity
Franktown, CO. USA
Joined Mar 2009
3,208 Posts
Nib 6255

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1674659

up for sale 5 minutes ago
gopherhunter is offline Find More Posts by gopherhunter
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 18, 2012, 09:04 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,255 Posts
This plane actually flies quite well. It's based on the SuperGee II design by Dr. Mark Drela. The only thing on it that is not based on his design is the vertical stabilizer. It's a newer airfoil that is more efficient and will improve launch height (trust me. I could visibly see the difference when I switched). The wing is a disser/dbox that is very stiff. I didn't face the flaps, though, so I started to have flutter problems on launch after a while. You probably won't be fluttering it for a while, but I can try to face them if you would like. That would mean you'd have to wait a while longer to get it. The other option would be that I could sell it to you now and then when you start to notice flutter just bring it back to me and I'll take care of it. I'll be really busy with work for the next couple of weeks while I try to make a deadline so it won't happen at least until I'm done with this project. After the flaps are faced the wing servos should be replaced. They center well and work great for now, though.

As for a comparison to the TSOL, I've only flown it alongside a TS once. I was flying with Russ once upon a lunchtime when he was still flying his TopSky. We were both pretty new to DLG. I recall our launches to be similar, though his might have been a little higher. Since I never threw his plane I can't really say that one launches better than the other, though. As far as flight performance they seemed pretty much equal. Mine may have a slightly better L/D (glide ratio), but it was close. I should also mention that the new vertical was put on after this day, so launches are even better now.

This plane weighs about 9.7oz, but you could easily lower that some. When I weighed it I was using a 30g battery and I had to put the battery behind the receiver in order to get the CG far enough back. So using a lighter battery and receiver could maybe save you as much as 10g (maybe more. I dunno), putting it around 9.3-9.4 oz. It'll really float at that weight. I don't know what Russ's TopSky weighed.

Brandon
bwill6 is offline Find More Posts by bwill6
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:25 PM
Spins With Gliders
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Aug 2005
1,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishjunky View Post
<snip...>We fly at the edge of our vision in both the vertical and horizontal planes. You may end up a hundred feet off the ground and 3/4 of a mile downwind chasing a thermal, then climb out to 600' just to make it back to the field. Just something to think about.
What?? You can see a 5-foot skinny little thing at 3/4 mile? I can barely see my car at 3/4 mile!! I think the limits of my vision is probably closer to 700 feet... maybe that's why I score so low.
djensen is offline Find More Posts by djensen
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:34 PM
sewing machine thumb
United States, CA, Palo Alto
Joined Jul 2001
2,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by like.2.fly View Post
+1
If you are planning to buy new, get a Futaba 8FG (or better yet, Evan's used one). They rule! The Airtronics SD-10G is also suitable, but I prefer the rock solid Futaba FASST technology. The old JR 9303 is also a good find used, with a 2.4 ghz module. I haven't heard a word about about the JR 11x from the DLG community. Keep your Spektrum for the heli's. Those Rx's may not fit in a DLG anyway. I heard the 6255 is really the only appropriate Spektrum Rx for DLG.
I switched from a JR 11x to the 8FG and much prefer the 8FG. I moved the spring switch to the left side (11x doesn't have one), the timers work much better on the 8FG, I ended up with better flight modes on the 8FG (although that could be from lack of fiddling with the JR), and the 8FG is much lighter and more comfortable to hold.
Frank S is offline Find More Posts by Frank S
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:38 PM
sewing machine thumb
United States, CA, Palo Alto
Joined Jul 2001
2,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djensen View Post
What?? You can see a 5-foot skinny little thing at 3/4 mile? I can barely see my car at 3/4 mile!! I think the limits of my vision is probably closer to 700 feet... maybe that's why I score so low.
According to my OpenAltimeter, I've flown a DLG over 1000 feet once, and I didn't much like it. 700-800 feet is the edge of my comfort zone so far.

DS punch-outs probably exceed 1000 feet, but that's a much bigger plane. Same goes for a winch-launched 3-meter.
Frank S is offline Find More Posts by Frank S
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:42 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
Ummmm, wait a second, I was going to take the back bench seat out of our van and that would leave 4 captains chairs for peoples. The Pimp would be the 5th man. I could leave the back bench seat in and have 3 seat belts but then that make cargo in front and in back of back bench seat.

Would be a problem getting to and from hotel. Thoughts?
Where is Russ staying? Might be on the way to/from our motel? Or some other out-of-towners at the contest might be staying at the same place we are, and could carry one of us. With the rear bench out we also might be able to store our planes in there at night without breaking them down. I don't know if George is bringing his big trailer/hangar, but likely not.

I will have a Sportube, medium duffle, Tx case and small gear bag. Maybe a folding lounge or lawn chair if there is room.
like.2.fly is offline Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Jun 19, 2012, 12:27 AM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,877 Posts
Re: 11X... I'm sure it's a great radio for gliders, but I never could figure out JR programming speak. I'm pretty sure it's just me, but I clicked much better with Futaba. Also NOT to start any flame wars, but I would never again fly an expensive plane with Spectrum, even the AR6255. I've had too many brownouts, lockouts, dropouts or whatever you call them for my comfort. Never had a lick of problem with my Futaba FASST and wouldn't hesitate to put that in my big slopers. I think JR can now be bought using their better? spread spectrum system so maybe my concerns are no longer founded. As always, ymmv.

I'm up for whatever you all wanna do for the Colorado trip. I'm planning to bring a plane box (with 3-4 planes), shade tent, radio box, lawn chair and duffle bag. I agree with Mike that it would be great if we can figure out a way to keep our planes ready to fly in the back of the van.

edit: I can also bring a folding table if it'll fit since it would be nice to have a team utah table there. Let me know if you think it will fit, Jon.
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Jun 19, 2012, 12:46 AM
Full disclosure, not sponsored
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,159 Posts
Plan on bringing all your loot TBM and Mike. It would be ideal to have the back seat out of the van so we can take planes to and from the hotel assembled, but it always seems to be a pain as Friday and Sunday you will have gear as well. With any luck someone over there will have a trailer onsite we can stash them in.

Speaking of, we need to find a big trailer for BSOLOUT for that very reason.
JONBOYLEMON is online now Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Jun 19, 2012, 12:46 AM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,255 Posts
I've never owned Spektrum gear personally, but at work we have used Spektrum exclusively for about a year. Last week we lost a ~$1000 airframe due a brownout. It's scary to watch your brand new airframe on its maiden flight do a full throttle dive to the ground from 500 ft. It's even scarier when it bursts into flame. We've had glitches in the past, but this is the only crash we can definitively blame on a brownout. I've heard enough from other pilots to not trust my expensive planes to spektrum. Maybe I'm just paranoid, though. Many have been using Spektrum for a long time without any problems. I've heard almost zero complaints about Futaba, though, or FrSky. And believe me, I've done my homework on them. Just my 2c (and that's probably about all it's worth)

Brandon
bwill6 is offline Find More Posts by bwill6
Old Jun 19, 2012, 12:50 AM
Russ Young
United States, UT, South Jordan
Joined Mar 2006
1,168 Posts
2180 S Medical Center Dr, Brighton - Holiday Inn Express

Is this anywhere near you guys?

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=2180+...ed=0CBYQ8gEwAA
isoarthenland is offline Find More Posts by isoarthenland
Old Jun 19, 2012, 01:19 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
...We had bounced around the idea of leaving Thursday night, which sounds great, but it adds 1 night of expenses...
My vote would be to do the drive on Friday morning, in the daylight and after a good night's sleep. Cheaper and safer. Plus a full day of flying on Friday only wears you out for Saturday. It's going to be HOT, and one afternoon/evening will be enough setup/warmup time for me. YMMV.

Russ, our motel is south on 76 a little farther than yours is north on 76.
like.2.fly is offline Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Last edited by like.2.fly; Jun 19, 2012 at 01:25 AM.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 09:39 AM
Must Luv DLG
USA, CO, Golden
Joined Jul 2010
1,489 Posts
storage

Hi Guys,

We should have plenty of airplane storage at the field. MoBro is bringing his Huge trailer. We also have an RMSA club trailer, and I can fit some planes in the belly of my RV, and/or put down a ground cover and host underneath the beast, by placing tubes around.

I'm confident that you can leave your planes at the field and not break-down to travel to the motel. I'll be camping there all night, so everything should be good. Heck, I'll even mark the corners of the slide-outs so "bumped heads" can be avoided. Can also keep a rusty sewing needle around to stitch up broken skulls!

Dave
Launch-1 is online now Find More Posts by Launch-1