HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 06, 2005, 08:51 PM
Joined May 2005
825 Posts
MotoCalc confusion

I am very confused about the results from MotoCalc as well as the online motor calculator at gobrushless.com. I have purchased a BP21 (although on E-bay, not balsapr). I am pretty sure that it is 21t, delta-wired. Because I was unable to learn anything about prop sizes, amp draw, etc from the calculators I have just tried things empirically. Right now I have found that one of the best props in terms of thrust and amps is a direct-drive GWS 1060. I can get about 10 minutes of flight or more out of my 1500 mAh LiPoly battery, comparable to the old EPS-350 with a B gear. I don't know what the thrust is, but it is better than the stock system by about 30%. Maybe 12-14 oz of thrust. I dunno. According to my inductive ammeter, the motor is drawing just under 10 amps at full static load. I have been unable to replicate these numbers with this prop on either gobrushless's calculator or motocalc. I've been told that the bp21 is similar to the Hacker 40/21L parameters in motocalc, so I've tried those. According to motocalc, the 1060 should be drawing 22 amps and putting out over 20 oz of thrust. What am I doing wrong here? I'd love to use these tools to plan my own motor designs but so far I have a huge disconnect between reality and how to plug numbers into the similator. Can anyone explain what I'm missing? I've been reading a lot of forum entries on the subject, but I must be missing it. Feel feel to point me at the relavent threads.
caseih is offline Find More Posts by caseih
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2005, 10:36 PM
Winchester; Ohio
Joined Feb 2001
876 Posts
Try here; http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=338451

Adam
Adam Neat is offline Find More Posts by Adam Neat
Old Jun 07, 2005, 03:15 PM
flying low & slow
SE
Joined Mar 2003
365 Posts
Interesting static motor test data, but it seems that the Power Out formula used needs some sort of prop constant as it results in efficiencies above 100% (up to 139%) in several cases...
adam_one is offline Find More Posts by adam_one
Old Jun 07, 2005, 07:14 PM
We want... Information!
Hastings, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2001
5,190 Posts
Using Gene Bond's constants with a 2S lipoly and EP1060, Motocalc predicts a miserable 37% efficiency! I got a better match to Gene Bond's data using Kv=1550 rpm/V, Rm=0.275 Ohms, and Io=0.7 Amps.
Bruce Abbott is offline Find More Posts by Bruce Abbott
Old Jun 08, 2005, 04:16 AM
flying low & slow
SE
Joined Mar 2003
365 Posts
Also wonder why the no load current Io is used as a constant in motor calculations despite the Io value is dependent on the voltage applied to the motor… ?
adam_one is offline Find More Posts by adam_one