Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 08, 2014, 05:24 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,376 Posts
Build Log
Jet Ranger Reloaded

So with all the outside builds done for the time being, I now have time for my own. I had wanted to get a brand new body for the Ranger so that I could have another military helicopter in my fleet. I have already sold the old body to a fellow in Boston and will be getting it ready to ship soon with the only drawback that I need to remove the front windscreen in order to ship it. I might convert it to screws so that it is easier to replace once he gets it.

One of the little non-scale features of the Fun-Key body kits was the square extension in the rear of the body so that there is a longer flat section to mount various chassis which from a simplistic standpoint is great but for a scale build, it is not so great. I decided to fill in the depression in the body and then grind off the square area to create the proper shape. I will be installing the short skids and once the front is lifted just a bit to match the drop of the front strut, the body should sit at the correct angle. When I had JestRR make up the tall set, I also had him make up a short set in the event that I wanted to redo the body as a military helicopter.

This version is not the CH-136 Kiowa but the regular CH-139 Jet Ranger used by 3CFFTS in Portage La Prairie, Manitoba. It will be based on the older variant that used the twin landing lights of the commercial Ranger but I might change it to the single externally mounted light. I need to scratch build the wire strike system as the model is too small to use the ones from Pro Heli. Not a big deal. The one change that I am a bit hesitant to do is to flip the tail rotor around to the correct side. The paint scheme is one that I thing will be easier to spot in the sky than a standard military NATO drab green. The bright yellow section throughout the main body area and one wide stripe on the boom should help things a lot. I'll begin with the work on the body joints and the filling in and reshaping of the rear mount area. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is online now Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Last edited by Keyrigger; Jul 08, 2014 at 06:31 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2014, 08:15 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2007
694 Posts
Nice project.. Love the colour scheme.

Are you using the same mechs as before? Any mods to the gearing?
justy g is offline Find More Posts by justy g
Old Jul 08, 2014, 09:47 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,376 Posts
I'm using the same mechanics. There's no point in changing a thing as it has almost 300 flights on it and it works every time. I have already got a few comments on the scheme. One thing about it, there will be no mistaking this one on the flight line for any other model, lol. Take care.

Don
Old Jul 08, 2014, 11:16 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2007
694 Posts
I thought you were looking to upgrade the main gear?
Old Jul 09, 2014, 09:19 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,376 Posts
Maybe a bit later but for now, there is not much point in doing so. I need to get the same gear setup that is in my AS350 right now and that requires the 10t pinion and the 118t main. I haven't gone looking for them yet but the one place that carries them is on my list of places to visit in order to get another battery for my AS350. With all the water that I have been lifting with the Bambi Bucket, it might not be a bad idea to do it sooner than later, lol. Take care.

Don
Old Jul 09, 2014, 10:15 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2007
694 Posts
Are you going to paint it yourself or get it done professionally?
Old Jul 09, 2014, 10:18 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2007
694 Posts
I'm still flying my Jet Ranger 600 size on a 170/13 combo and it's performed flawlessly for hundreds of flights.. No Bambi bucket for me though.
Old Jul 09, 2014, 11:47 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,376 Posts
It's small enough that I will paint it myself. The TOW Defender is simple. One colour and lots of it but this one should not be too bad with the only thing I need to think about is whether I paint or use striping on the white line. It is not everywhere so it makes it a bit easier. I can spray the body with a white primer, shoot the white on for the strip, and then mask that off and paint the rest. I'll be using lots of Tamiya tape for this one as I know it is fairly low tack and should not peel the paint up (I'm really praying that it sticks to the shell). At least I have lots of pictures of the scheme but no high resolution pictures so far to send to Callie Graphics. Take care.

Don
Old Jul 10, 2014, 04:56 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,376 Posts
Last night and today, I have been busy at getting the floor made. I had intended to try this as on piece but the amount of filling would have taken way too much time and I hate to think about the dust it would have created. As you can see, I used a laser to find and mark out the true center of the body so that the holes for the landing gear and chassis would be bases on the true center and not a perceived one. It is quite apparent that the join is not fully on center, whether from trimming or individuality of the mold.

It turned out that the initial holes I had made for the landing gear would be .1" off so I also made sure that the holes were 90 degrees to the new centerline. Little niggly things that burn up hours, sigh. All the spots are now marked and ready to be drilled for the capscrews and this time around, there will only be one size needed. While getting all the lines and holes done, it seemed to be the right time to get the chassis roughed in for a "look-see". While having a general look at what will be needed to finish it off, I had a look down the boom and found the pushrod guides are just barely clear of the body. It was so dark in the painted body that I never really paid much attention to how close they were. I figured as long as it works, it much be clear but I didn't know it was as close as it was, lol. Now it's time to let things cure and restart it later tonight. Take care.

Don
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:18 PM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,853 Posts
That wood floor is the ticket...I really like the smoothing out of the bottom also. Hey, a T550...gotta say, good choice . Looks very familiar, lol. Good choice on the turnbuckles too.

On the tail rod...you can flip the ball on the pitch arm to the other side of the pitch arm, file down the tail housing to clear the ball, make a CF pushrod, and boom mount the tail servo to get all that stuffed in the tail boom pretty clean that way.

The Tamiya tape will work great, love the stuff for painting.
SidewaysLS4 is offline Find More Posts by SidewaysLS4
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:54 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2007
694 Posts
Brings back memories of my build

Old Jul 11, 2014, 07:58 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,376 Posts
I remember that build. Worked out very well. I got a lot done today as far as installing the chassis. If I had taken it outside, I could have flown it but there was still too many things not finished to call it an actual maiden. I get the feeling that I am going to have to paint it in order to get the lights installed, the vertical tail on, and the horizontal surfaces glued in place. All but the landing light installation is actually done and all that is needed is for me to figure out how I will present the model, with or without the external landing light. Also, detail level is killing me as I would like to get it looking very realistic but the complete lack of a full front cockpit takes away from it. There will be in instrument panel and I might light this one this time around but without the seats and a couple of well dressed student and instructor, it will be kind of empty. Here's some of today's progress. Take care.

Don
Old Jul 11, 2014, 08:56 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,376 Posts
Sideways, I have had the tail done that way since day one and the pictures above show how close I get the openings with nothing of the pushrod sticking out. I saw that more than three years ago and thought it was a great idea and have done this one and the Airwolf with the link ball flipped to the upper position. Grinding the tail was a bit of a pain as I don't have a mill so Dremel and file were the two things that got me there, lol. Thanks for the thought. Take care.

Don