Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 27, 2014, 11:12 AM
Team RedWing RC
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Aug 2013
402 Posts
Help!
UMX AS3Xtra 3D?

I just got the E-Flite AS3Xtra yesterday, an when I tried to fly it, two things happened; Even with the throws set in my transmitter to 125% (the max) the control surfaces don't move enough for decent 3D. And the AS3X over corrects it. For example, I was flying it indoors yesterday (no wind) and when I did a knife-edge (without the knife-edge assistance mode turned on) the elevator was twitching, it wasn't like a normal gyro twitch, the elevator was moving fully up and down, and I couldn't control it. Also when I fly inverted it overpowers my control input and (almost every time I fly inverted) it gives it full up elevator, crashing it nose first straight into the ground. I've already had to repair the nose several times. I've tried every mode I can do with my DX6i, and they all act the same. If anyone knows how to fix this or point me to a thread where this is discussed I'd appreciate it. I don't want to have to gut this plane because it crashed so much.
Thanks
RG916170 is online now Find More Posts by RG916170
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2014, 12:58 PM
Depron-addicted
Switzerland, ZH, Zurich
Joined Apr 2011
78 Posts
Setting the throw to more than 100 percent will kill your servos!
Serge Roth is offline Find More Posts by Serge Roth
Old Apr 27, 2014, 01:19 PM
Wid
Live Your Dreams
United States, CA, Redwood Valley
Joined May 2001
467 Posts
AS3Xtra thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG916170 View Post
I just got the E-Flite AS3Xtra yesterday, an when I tried to fly it, two things happened; Even with the throws set in my transmitter to 125% (the max) the control surfaces don't move enough for decent 3D. And the AS3X over corrects it. For example, I was flying it indoors yesterday (no wind) and when I did a knife-edge (without the knife-edge assistance mode turned on) the elevator was twitching, it wasn't like a normal gyro twitch, the elevator was moving fully up and down, and I couldn't control it. Also when I fly inverted it overpowers my control input and (almost every time I fly inverted) it gives it full up elevator, crashing it nose first straight into the ground. I've already had to repair the nose several times. I've tried every mode I can do with my DX6i, and they all act the same. If anyone knows how to fix this or point me to a thread where this is discussed I'd appreciate it. I don't want to have to gut this plane because it crashed so much.
Thanks
The AS3Xtra thread is here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2009699

It sounds like you are in a mode different than standard as3x. There are 5 modes possible and 2 of them cause severe uncontrollable porpoising with much forward speed. See this post for testing which mode you are in:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2204 You have to have throtle on for this test to work.

I fly mine with rates at 70% and it turns and loops within 2 plane lengths. Are your control linkages setup properly, in the hole closest to the control surface? Is there damage to the hinges so you are not getting proper control movement? Are your control surfaces damaged, cracked, so the wind is able to bend them?

125% can damage linear servos.

My experience is with the 3drankin airframe but should be very similar to stock.
Wid is online now Find More Posts by Wid
Last edited by Wid; Apr 27, 2014 at 01:29 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 01:29 PM
Team RedWing RC
Joined Aug 2013
402 Posts
Thanks guys, I have it set to standard AS3X and it fly's 3D much better. When its working properly, its a nice litter 3D'er. But from all of those crashes the airframe has taken a ton of abuse, a few more good crashes and I'll have to gut it. I may even do that now because I found a website that has airframes for $35 that are compatible with the micro electronics. Here's the link

http://www.profileplanes.com/index.p...ory&path=60_62

the battery is charging, but I'll try turning down the throws to save a little stress on the servos.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 27, 2014, 01:57 PM
Wid
Live Your Dreams
United States, CA, Redwood Valley
Joined May 2001
467 Posts
3drankin air frame

Glad you got it working. The frame I am using is slightly heavier than stock and MUCH stronger. But only comes in white. I use sharpie marker to color it for un detectable weight gain.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/replacement-...item3cdb9a4db1
Wid is online now Find More Posts by Wid
Old Apr 27, 2014, 02:49 PM
Team RedWing RC
Joined Aug 2013
402 Posts
Thanks, but if I do get another airframe, I'll get one of the dynamic foamy airframes because they are lighter.
RCG Plus Member