Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:49 AM
Time for me to Fly...
Mr. Wiz's Avatar
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,298 Posts
Discussion
Election statistics, do they really tell the whole story?

Yesterday I was talking with a coworker about the demographic statistics of the election. Most of us have seen them, 93% of the black voters voted for Obama. 50 some odd percent of the Hispanic voters voted for Obama.... blah blah blah percentage of women voters and such and such percentage of young voters....But those demographics don't tell the whole story, do they? What % of eligible blacks voted at all? Same for every other group? I read somewhere that less than 1/3 of our voter eligible population voted.

How can we claim there is this giant, bitter division in this country when over half of the population could care less? It seems to me it's all sensationalism driven by partisans and the media.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some new engines some older
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:52 AM
In Development Now
Indiana_Geoff's Avatar
Joined May 2005
445 Posts
Most of those that don't vote, should not vote.
Indiana_Geoff is online now Find More Posts by Indiana_Geoff
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:11 AM
Bagpipes spoken here
Pipemajor's Avatar
United States, MN, St Paul
Joined Aug 2007
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana_Geoff View Post
Most of those that don't vote, should not vote.
Pipemajor is offline Find More Posts by Pipemajor
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:22 AM
Time for me to Fly...
Mr. Wiz's Avatar
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana_Geoff View Post
Most of those that don't vote, should not vote.
That kind of goes without saying, doesn't it? I mean if they don't care enough to vote, what's the likelihood they care enough to understand the issues at hand?

But that's not the point. We're supposedly this huge close to 50/50 divided population. Each side is supposedly bitterly against the other. I saying if only 1/3 of the population voted, how can we come to that conclusion.

A better indicator of where we stand as a country would be to express the election demographics a percentages of the entire population of one group or another and not just of those that voted. Then you could see who was motivated by the issues and who wasn't. You know the campaigns have these numbers. Why don't the people get to see them?

Mike
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some new engines some older
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:35 AM
Radix malorum est cupiditas
radix2's Avatar
Joined Jul 2000
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
That kind of goes without saying, doesn't it? I mean if they don't care enough to vote, what's the likelihood they care enough to understand the issues at hand?

But that's not the point. We're supposedly this huge close to 50/50 divided population. Each side is supposedly bitterly against the other. I saying if only 1/3 of the population voted, how can we come to that conclusion.

A better indicator of where we stand as a country would be to express the election demographics a percentages of the entire population of one group or another and not just of those that voted. Then you could see who was motivated by the issues and who wasn't. You know the campaigns have these numbers. Why don't the people get to see them?

Mike
easy enough to generate - 2012 participation - 57.5%
Obama - 50.6%, Romney - 47.8

Obama preference out of all eligible voters - 29.1%
Romney preference out of all eligible voters - 27.5 %
Someone other than those two clowns - 1.6%
meh, frankly my dear - I don't give a damn - 42.3%
radix2 is offline Find More Posts by radix2
Last edited by radix2; Nov 15, 2012 at 11:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:41 AM
Registered User
Janusz Jawien's Avatar
Los Angeles Van Nuys, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
1,111 Posts
Now...add to this story the electoral system and ask me how I feel about voting in beautiful California.....
Janusz Jawien is offline Find More Posts by Janusz Jawien
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:09 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Mr. Wiz's Avatar
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,298 Posts
57.5% total participation.... See, that's a lot different than the approximately 1/3 participation I'd heard about on the radio.

And still, can you take the 57.5% from the total and use that for each group? I wouldn't think so. If I had to guess Id say the overall percentage for white males is higher than say the the youth percentage. What percentage of eligible black population actually voted? That would be an interesting number to me. I mean 93% of 100 guys isn't particularly telling to me. I know more than 100 blacks voted but you see what I'm getting at.

And then look that the numbers you did post. Only 29% voted for "socialism" and in the political rhetoric it was quoted at 47%. I wonder why that is?
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Mr. Wiz; Nov 15, 2012 at 01:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:15 PM
Radix malorum est cupiditas
radix2's Avatar
Joined Jul 2000
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
57.5% total participation.... See, that a lot different than the approximately 1/3 participation I'd heard on the radio.
..
You are probably misremembering - I think the point was probably less than 1/3 of those eligible to vote voted for O, so a bit less of a mandate than the electoral college would indicate.

I think the wide differences across demographics merit serious consideration.
radix2 is offline Find More Posts by radix2
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:26 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Mr. Wiz's Avatar
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,298 Posts
I'm a little surprised that more people aren't chiming in on this discussion.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some new engines some older
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:28 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Mr. Wiz's Avatar
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radix2 View Post
You are probably misremembering - I think the point was probably less than 1/3 of those eligible to vote voted for O, so a bit less of a mandate than the electoral college would indicate.

I think the wide differences across demographics merit serious consideration.
No doubt. I'm surprised that the conservatives haven't pointed this out. My guess is they don't because they are afraid if they did more people would vote and that would make the situation worse for them and not better.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some new engines some older
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:34 PM
Radix malorum est cupiditas
radix2's Avatar
Joined Jul 2000
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
No doubt. I'm surprised that the conservatives haven't pointed this out. My guess is they don't because they are afraid if they did more people would vote and that would make the situation worse for them and not better.
Here is an article that has numbers across more of the demographics, with the idea that less participation was better for the incumbent, I don't know if that is always the case. http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...-election.html
radix2 is offline Find More Posts by radix2
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:36 PM
The "pro" in procrastination
Steve85's Avatar
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
I'm a little surprised that more people aren't chiming in on this discussion.
Could it be that folks are tired of the incessant chatter on the topic of the American election? I don't even live in the country and it's all we've heard about for going on a year now...

Just sayin'...
Steve85 is online now Find More Posts by Steve85
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:48 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Mr. Wiz's Avatar
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve85 View Post
Could it be that folks are tired of the incessant chatter on the topic of the American election? I don't even live in the country and it's all we've heard about for going on a year now...

Just sayin'...
Nope.... Not a chance.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some new engines some older
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:55 PM
The "pro" in procrastination
Steve85's Avatar
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,612 Posts
Oh well, it was worth a try! How about them Blue Jays?
Steve85 is online now Find More Posts by Steve85
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:59 PM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,542 Posts
From what I've seen both candidates polled less votes than Obama/McCain in 2008. The voting population then was (speaking from memory) about 250 million. That leaves little doubt that the biggest sector of the vote in 2012 was the "I can't be bothered".
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion DJI Props Really Do Suck -- THEY WILL COST YOU MONEY! brianshell Multirotor Talk 39 Dec 10, 2012 03:41 AM
Idea Practice writing, tell a story, post a poem, show a drawing Treetop Life, The Universe, and Politics 34 Aug 13, 2012 09:42 PM
Discussion story to tell:ESKY 400 size FP/CP Heli on one body vincent722 Electric Heli Talk 4 May 19, 2012 10:56 PM
Discussion Pelosi: 'Elections Shouldn't Matter as Much as They Do' MtnGoat Life, The Universe, and Politics 35 Apr 14, 2011 01:16 PM
Discussion Wattmeter doesn't tell the whole story... Fuegodeth Batteries and Chargers 19 May 29, 2008 11:15 PM