HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:13 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,638 Posts
Don't forget this boat was designed in the very early fifties BEFORE we had curved windshields and windshields were in two sections of flat glass. I can't remember any curved glass in any boat I ever saw back then and I did see a lot of boats while I was living on Cape Cod. Everybody had a boat up there and some were pretty large cabin cruisers. Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: What's a blog for?
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:01 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,689 Posts
I said nothing about the glass itself being curved.

But, I've never seen a C*C 63'er myself so I will end my speculation about it.
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Feb 03, 2013, 06:05 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,638 Posts
I just assumed that if the wall was curved the glass would have to be curved too. Anyway that's a great statement there Aero. WE have many models of the 63 and some pictures but nowhere is there a hint of the real thing. Since only six or seven were made to start with it's not surprising that none would be left and certainly noone has ever seen one of these yachts that I know of. If you lived in the 50's which I did and lived where there were lots of boats which I did then one of these yachts would have really stood out if one was where you lived which it didn't. I have always hoped that I or someone would come across somebody who had owned one and let us have any pictures or movies that had been made of the yacht,but that has never happened ,so far.
Now you know that anyone who could afford to own a yacht like this in the 50's could also afford a camera or a movie camera or both. Owning a snazzy yacht like one of these 63's you would have to take at least some snap shots of you and the wife and kiddies relaxing on the afterdeck while the Captain ran the boat out to Martha's Vinyard or Nantucket for the really private people. The only thing we need to find these pictures is the names of the people who bought the yachts in the first place and then we can try to find their relatives as they,the original owners, are probably pushing daiseys by now assuming they would have been in their fourties before they could afford to buy one. The real rich with the old money would have had their yachts made by the likes of Trumpy or Elco orStevens,or one of the big custom boat builders. Certainly they would not have purchased an off the shelf common Chris Craft of that size. Morgan and Chase and Rockefella types would have to have custom yachts for sure.
So keep your eyes and ears open guys and lets see if we can find somebody who maybe owned one of these beautiful yachts. Pete
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:14 AM
Cambridge, England
Joined May 2010
55 Posts
To curve or not to curve....

Wouldn't Chris-Craft have a historian who could tell us what the actual 63' had? Or perhaps one of the classic boat clubs you have over there. I may give it a shot. Beginning to wish I'd gone straight......

On another very basic topic, can someone advise me. As I always intended, I have fiberglassed the outside of my balsa hull with fine glass cloth and Z-poxy finishing resin. Having sanded down the bottom of the hull to a glass-like finish I then had cause to re-spray the sides with automotive white primer before fiberglassing them. In the process I sprayed some of the fiberglassed bottom but when it dried I found I had numerous pits in the surface. Looks like there was a reaction?

Question - what type of primer (and finishing coat) should I be using that is compatible with Z-poxy?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norgale View Post
I just assumed that if the wall was curved the glass would have to be curved too. Anyway that's a great statement there Aero. WE have many models of the 63 and some pictures but nowhere is there a hint of the real thing. Since only six or seven were made to start with it's not surprising that none would be left and certainly noone has ever seen one of these yachts that I know of. If you lived in the 50's which I did and lived where there were lots of boats which I did then one of these yachts would have really stood out if one was where you lived which it didn't. I have always hoped that I or someone would come across somebody who had owned one and let us have any pictures or movies that had been made of the yacht,but that has never happened ,so far.
Now you know that anyone who could afford to own a yacht like this in the 50's could also afford a camera or a movie camera or both. Owning a snazzy yacht like one of these 63's you would have to take at least some snap shots of you and the wife and kiddies relaxing on the afterdeck while the Captain ran the boat out to Martha's Vinyard or Nantucket for the really private people. The only thing we need to find these pictures is the names of the people who bought the yachts in the first place and then we can try to find their relatives as they,the original owners, are probably pushing daiseys by now assuming they would have been in their fourties before they could afford to buy one. The real rich with the old money would have had their yachts made by the likes of Trumpy or Elco orStevens,or one of the big custom boat builders. Certainly they would not have purchased an off the shelf common Chris Craft of that size. Morgan and Chase and Rockefella types would have to have custom yachts for sure.
So keep your eyes and ears open guys and lets see if we can find somebody who maybe owned one of these beautiful yachts. Pete
confused UK is offline Find More Posts by confused UK
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:46 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,638 Posts
I would think those pits were there before you painted. Maybe you just didn't see them. Try a scrap piece of wood with the z-poxy and then test with the paint. I didn't think any paint would eat up epoxy like that. Pete
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:45 PM
New Jersey
Joined Jan 2008
300 Posts
Did you wipe down the surface with a degreaser before painting? It looks like there was a contaminate of some sort on the surface. Was silicone ever sprayed in the area where you sprayed the paint?

Doug
tinknocker is offline Find More Posts by tinknocker
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:55 AM
Cambridge, England
Joined May 2010
55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinknocker View Post
Did you wipe down the surface with a degreaser before painting? It looks like there was a contaminate of some sort on the surface. Was silicone ever sprayed in the area where you sprayed the paint?

Doug
Doug, Pete, Tim, Terry and anyone else listening,

Overcame the little glitch above and have been preoccupied with mahogany planking my deck the last week or so. Pictures later when it's sanded down.

After all the debate about whether the lower cabin sides should be curved or straight the situation kind of resolved itself because although my planking is dead in line with the hull edges, the inside edges of the centre catwalks have turned out virtually straight after all! (Sorry)

But main purpose for this post is to ask for advice/opinions on the colour/material for the toe rails. Some pics of models have white toe rails and some have mahogany toe rails from the white painted bow thingy to the stern. The Sterling plans look like the toe rails are dark rather than light (even though the front part of the toe rails are cut out of balsa) and photos of actual similar era CC craft are the same.

What's the view on this?

Many thanks.

Peter
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:57 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,638 Posts
I'd say the bull nose at the bow is all white and the toe rails from the bull nose back and across the transom is red mahogany. Nogale. (gettin' too many Peters on here. Ha! )
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:39 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by norgale View Post
I'd say the bull nose at the bow is all white and the toe rails from the bull nose back and across the transom is red mahogany. Nogale. (gettin' too many Peters on here. Ha! )
That's what SHE said . . . .

Pete G. (Yet another Peter... )

All seriousness aside... here are some full sized Chris Craft pictures that may help -- not a 63 foot Motor yacht, but a comparable vintage 53' Conqueror, and definitely favoring Pete's (Norgale's) observation. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=720202

Also -- check this ad for a 1953 Motor yacht -- third boat down. Looks consistent. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1960-Chris-C...item3f16a37d09

Here's a Chris Craft ad for a 1953 Conqueror -- same story. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nice-1953-Ch...item460cb136ec

One last one -- a 1958 Constellation ad -- in color. Same story: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-CHRIS-C...item589a7433f6
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Last edited by P_J_Glor; Feb 13, 2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:10 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,684 Posts
The Chris Craft 63’ Motor Yacht was built from 1953- 54, with only three hulls ever built. All of the glazing in the yacht was flat with a three section windshield in both the helm station and the cabin. The hull number series was MY-63-001 to MY-63-003.

Information obtained from the Mariners’ Museum and from the Chris Craft Essential Guide. By the way the engine options for the Motor Yacht were, (3) GM diesels 6A or (2) diesels 6A. No one has of yet made a 63’ with triple screw here on the forum. I might have to look into that.
frankg is online now Find More Posts by frankg
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:31 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankg View Post
The Chris Craft 63’ Motor Yacht was built from 1953- 54, with only three hulls ever built. All of the glazing in the yacht was flat with a three section windshield in both the helm station and the cabin. The hull number series was MY-63-001 to MY-63-003.

Information obtained from the Mariners’ Museum and from the Chris Craft Essential Guide. By the way the engine options for the Motor Yacht were, (3) GM diesels 6A or (2) diesels 6A. No one has of yet made a 63’ with triple screw here on the forum. I might have to look into that.
Sounds interesting. With today's Lipos, she would probably scoot o threee motors. How would you set up the prop rotation?

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:40 PM
United States, PA, Quakertown
Joined Jan 2012
1,522 Posts
Peter:
To begin I would like to offer my sincere apology for not being as artful as I should have been in the discussion about roof line/cabin side .
I should have pointed out in report number 77 that the Sterling assembly instruction book, was not a good pictorial indicator of our topic. However, the written instructions in that matter, which I cited In report number 89 is what should guide you . After trimming the roof moldings only at the forward most and the rear most parts of the roof molding you refer to the full-size drawing to curve the roof. The pictures that I showed should have been taken off to the side and would have shown the curved roof overhang. In my explanation I was too focused on explaining why the sides should be straight.
I noticed you were asking for advice on the toe rails. You will notice on your full-size plan(paint notes) , there is information on painting and staining. In the first few sentences I take it that the toe rails are balsa /mahogany stain from bullnose to the rear catwalk
TERRY
oldbilgewater is offline Find More Posts by oldbilgewater
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:44 AM
United States, PA, Quakertown
Joined Jan 2012
1,522 Posts
Link, for a finished 63

Peter, I do not know if you have this picture.
http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...5-IMG_1176.jpg
Terry
oldbilgewater is offline Find More Posts by oldbilgewater
Old Feb 25, 2013, 06:45 PM
Cambridge, England
Joined May 2010
55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbilgewater View Post
Peter, I do not know if you have this picture.
http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...5-IMG_1176.jpg
Terry
Terry

Sorry for the protracted silence. So immersed in building my 63' (when I get time) I keep forgetting to take photos and post reports.

No, I hadn't seen this picture. What a stunning model but some interesting divergence from the Sterling plans eg no lower round portholes and a less rounded bullnose bow. Do you know who built it?

Thanks also for referring me to the instructions re curving the lower cabin roof overhang and the colour of the toe rails.

Since my last proper progress report way back in January I have since:

i) Laid lite-ply sub-deck to front deck, centre catwalks, rear deck and rear catwalks,

ii) Planked the whole deck with 1/16" x 3/16" mahogany strip, using a wider plank at the edges and a wider still plank straight down the center line. I know the official design calls for a shaped central strip where the curved planks have straight cut ends that fit into it but I couldn't guarantee getting all the planks to go down in precisely the correct position to achieve this so I played safe.

I cut curved sections from 1/16" mahogany sheet for the bow edges, but all the other curving was achieved by soaking and bending the planks in a jig. They went down pretty well using a combination of CA glue, accelerator and strong fingers to push each plank hard against the next. Each plank is separated by caulking made from thin strips of 0.5mm black styrene cut from a sheet.

It looked very rough to start with but after trimming the excess styrene with a sharp chisel and a good deal of sanding, the decks started to look OK and reasonably symmetrical plankwise. Where the 3/16" wide planks were bent sharply the outer edges tended to stick up a bit but there was sufficient thickness of mahogany to be able to sand everything smooth without going right through.

Now - about the curved cabin sides... I reported previously that after all, the inner sides of my centre catwalks appeared to be straight, but as you can see from the photos, the planking followed the line of the hull and I wanted to end up with a clean edge plank plus three 3/16" planks fitting snugly against the cabin sides. We are talking only a tiny amount of curve here, but it meant not having to have either an unsightly gap or part of an extra fourth plank showing in places.

The lower cabin sides did, of course, need to be braced to achieve the tiny degree of curvature required. I didn't want any cross-beams immediately below the window height so I copied the curve onto two strips of 3/32" mahogany and glued them in place.

iii) Cut out all the portholes ready to receive the metal fittings after painting the hull at a later stage,

iv) Started building the superstructure. So far so good and I'm pleased with the way it slots into the deck and fits snugly. Next challenge is fabricating the shaped cabin roof sides.

Peter
Old Feb 25, 2013, 06:57 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,376 Posts
You've got ALOT done !

VERRRRRY nice work ....
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.