Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 02, 2012, 09:03 PM
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Joined Jul 2007
1,013 Posts
Anyone else get an e-mail from HH today? The Spitfire is UM, only 15" wingspan.

Jay
Faethor is offline Find More Posts by Faethor
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2012, 09:11 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,447 Posts
Regarding flying speeds - the CC's wing-loading is 5.5 oz/sq ft, as compared to the Beast 3D @ 4.36 oz/sq ft & the Sbach @ 5.21 oz/sq ft. The CC aught to slow down fairly well - especially with a notch or two of flaps.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2012, 09:23 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
The wingspan on the Zero is only 25", the CC wingspan is 24"

I wish HH would have imported the Minium Kysosho Zero instead of the Arium Zero.

The Arium size makes the most sense for HH since the 1S zero has 2g servos and spectrum doesn't have a 1S RX/ESC combo to plug in.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Feb 02, 2012, 09:23 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,436 Posts
Joel,

The CC has higher wing loading than the Beast and the Sbach?

Dave
pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Feb 02, 2012, 09:29 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,749 Posts
i got the spitfire email today. not real happy. i was hoping for a light weight plane. 49 grams is a little heavy for me, for a single. i dont like gyros, unless im flying in a wind storm. then it might be fun. it would have been ordered if it had an ar6400. i dont like hand outs, ( and a gyro is a hand out. not for me)
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Feb 03, 2012, 06:00 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemoskull View Post
i got the spitfire email today. not real happy. i was hoping for a light weight plane. 49 grams is a little heavy for me, for a single. i dont like gyros, unless im flying in a wind storm. then it might be fun. it would have been ordered if it had an ar6400. i dont like hand outs, ( and a gyro is a hand out. not for me)
Have you flown the Beast 3D? All I can tell you is that when I fly it, I don't feel the gyro... I could be flying my old Beast if I didn't knew it! The biggest difference between my old Beast and the new one, is when I land, and check how strong the wind was. With the new Beast, I always jump when I discover that there was that much wind!

I suspect it will be the same with the Spitfire... I still fly my good old Mustangs (I have two!) everynow and then and would really like the AS3X tech in them now. If the gyro does the same thing to the Spitfire than on my Beast 3D, it will look a lot more scale since it won't be bullied around by the smallest wind.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Feb 03, 2012, 10:09 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemoskull View Post
Then don't buy one. Stick with your escapements & Galloping Ghost setups, since you appear to regard advancements in the hobby as nothing but "handouts".

Since you dislike "handouts" so much, I expect that your car has a manual transmission, manual brakes, steering by armstrong, no anti-lock brakes, no power windows, no power door locks, and no A/C? But you're on the 'net? Surely, you must dislike computers - so why are you online? After all - using your logic, the technologies above are simply "handouts".

Are all of your planes scratch-builds? Using your logic - kits & ARFs are also "handouts". I hope you don't have a computer tx with mixing, rates, and expo. After all - model memories, rates, expo, and mixing are nothing but "handouts".

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2012, 10:21 AM
Burlington, NJ USA
Joined Apr 2001
421 Posts
I can't for the life of me figure out why so many people are against this technology. Afterall, without it, these sized planes don't really fly that scale. Unstabilized, they just flitter and get banged around by any kind of breeze, making the flight more of a chore than a pastime.The problem is, the body of air mass we're flying them in isn't scale to the airplane, if that makes any sense. Average wind speed in reference to a UM is MUCH faster, compared to say, a larger model or a full scale plane. They don't seem to generate lift as efficiently either. Compare the air mass/small model relationship to how if you put a scale model boat in water, the water droplets and wake look large, and unscale. Also, with every perpendicular ripple the boat quickly rocks back and forth in an unscale fashion. Well, this technology lets us fly tiny aircraft in a scale manner in unscale air. It's not really a skill thing, it just makes flying less annoying and chore- like, and more realistic. You can still crash, it won't save you from dumb thumbs!
bfaulguy is online now Find More Posts by bfaulguy
Old Feb 03, 2012, 10:37 AM
United States, LA, Patterson
Joined Feb 2011
135 Posts
Bring on the gyro on this little guy. I fly just about every day, including days I probably shouldn't fly my smaller birds because of wind. Most of the damage on my smaller planes, the Micros and such, has come from landing with wind on account of only being able to come in for a landing just a couple ways. If this gyro equipped plane makes it a little safer and keeps me in the air on days that would be marginal or bad for the little guys, then bring it on!
I've got an Eflite p-40 300 that's essentially the same size and with the slower flight envelope of the Cub, and what, Flaps?! This thing shoudln't really need a field, but any old sized park with a little bit of pavement somewheres for a landing strip. This thing is gonna be fun.
sheldonc is offline Find More Posts by sheldonc
Old Feb 03, 2012, 10:38 AM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Aug 2011
148 Posts
surprised they didn't put as3x in the zero to be honest, why would they put it in a high wing 25" ws plane but not a 25" warbird?
Aekero is offline Find More Posts by Aekero
Last edited by Aekero; Feb 03, 2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old Feb 03, 2012, 10:48 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aekero View Post
surprised they didn't put as3x in the zero to be honest, why would they put it in a high wing 25" ws plane but not a 24" warbird?
Simply because they want to lower their receiver inventory first! If they start selling a 63XX receiver with AS3X, they won't sell the old receivers anymore. I suspect that soon we will see AR600 to AR8000 with this technology... After all the newer Beast (not the airplane, the receiver) is almost there. They have to implement it, it would increase the Spektrum market over other receivers if they do!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Feb 03, 2012, 10:50 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,436 Posts
Go to your local Air Force base, and try telling the F-16 jockeys that they aren't real pilots doing real flying, because they use that "handout" fly-by-wire technology.

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Feb 03, 2012, 10:52 AM
United States, LA, Patterson
Joined Feb 2011
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Simply because they want to lower their receiver inventory first! If they start selling a 63XX receiver with AS3X, they won't sell the old receivers anymore. I suspect that soon we will see AR600 to AR8000 with this technology... After all the newer Beast (not the airplane, the receiver) is almost there. They have to implement it, it would increase the Spektrum market over other receivers if they do!
sounds logical, but I wonder if it's just a bit because the Zero, like other warbirds that size do more slicing thru the breezes than a slower hi-winged type plane like this Cub?
sheldonc is offline Find More Posts by sheldonc
Old Feb 03, 2012, 11:13 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Then don't buy one. ...
Owwww...nasty . Even a Smiley Face can't disguise that.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who remembers escapements (and blipping).

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Feb 03, 2012, 11:15 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jun 2011
295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D. View Post
Wow! I was just looking at the carbon cub website 2 days ago. Pretty cool what they are doing remaking the cubs.

For $134K you can buy one built.
Let's go in for a group buy. : )
it seems inflation is a real b....
Pricing for 2012 Carbon Cub SS ready-to-fly with the standard features: $163,280
http://www.cubcrafters.com/carboncubss/howtobuy

really neat planes though, but well above my pay grade
Strizzo is offline Find More Posts by Strizzo