HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2013, 07:35 PM
USA, NY, Brookhaven
Joined Mar 2003
1,543 Posts
Discussion
best replacement frame/body for QX 350

Has anyone upgraded or replaced there qx350 frame/body?

What would be the best replacement frame/body for the Blade qx350, other than the stock plastic one?
I was looking for something that would be stronger and have more room for FPV equipment and maybe a larger battery.
thanks
rickc
RickC2009 is online now Find More Posts by RickC2009
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2013, 10:32 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
A stronger frame with more room may require better motors and ESCs, as well. Walkera has a long history of needing motors and other components upgraded. That potentially leaves you with just the FCB and receiver from the original quad. You also need to consider how you will mount the antenna and compass, as another frame may interfere with them. A puck and stand is the most effective mount, but may be hard to interface to your board.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Nov 13, 2013, 11:20 PM
1sq
United States, CA, Imperial Beach
Joined Mar 2013
1,374 Posts
Mount your electronics on any frame you like weather its the Armattan, Flip FPV by Witespy to name a few. As mentioned about your motor/esc combo might be questionable.
1sq is online now Find More Posts by 1sq
Old Nov 14, 2013, 01:11 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Something in the 350 - 450 range with the strength and size to handle FPV gear and larger battery should have motors in the 750 - 950kv range and 20 amp SimonK ESCs.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Nov 14, 2013, 11:46 PM
United States, CA
Joined Nov 2013
462 Posts
350qx replacement frame

[There is a flying example, here in the forums, of a swap using a "Hoverthings Flip". He is using all stock components except for the frame.

I've been eyeing the FlameWheel F330 for the same reasons.

QUOTE=RickC2009;26629637]Has anyone upgraded or replaced there qx350 frame/body?

What would be the best replacement frame/body for the Blade qx350, other than the stock plastic one?
I was looking for something that would be stronger and have more room for FPV equipment and maybe a larger battery.
thanks
rickc[/QUOTE]
FullScalePilot2 is online now Find More Posts by FullScalePilot2
Last edited by FullScalePilot2; Nov 15, 2013 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Edit: Looks like there is another option/ someone has swapped to the Walkera 350 body, but had to upgrade to DJI T motors...
Old Dec 09, 2013, 11:09 PM
United States, OH, Trenton
Joined Dec 2013
7 Posts
I have ordered the HK F330 kit and will transplant as soon as it shows up.

I think I'll be able to use Stock props. At least I hope so.

There is a vid on ebay but it shows some triple props that I can't seem to locate.

-MD
mdisher is offline Find More Posts by mdisher
Old Dec 09, 2013, 11:16 PM
United States, CA, Laguna Niguel
Joined Oct 2013
1,087 Posts
Hii just did this today with the opq frame, I'll be testing it tomorrow. So far it's lighter, stronger, and the low speed shutter and shake have disappeared. I'll be interested if it has smoother FFF.
Blade 350 qx frame transfer to OPQ (1 min 51 sec)
Demo7 is online now Find More Posts by Demo7
Old Dec 09, 2013, 11:17 PM
United States, CA
Joined Nov 2013
462 Posts
I'm just finishing up the swap to the HK F330. I did see someone mention using a second bottom plate mounted crossways. The concept was to create additional room for FPV gear. There is a post floating around with a photo of an F330 frame and ALL the gear onboard. It looks packed to be sure.

Here's the pictures of the fully loaded F330 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...s#post25965384 (post #53)
FullScalePilot2 is online now Find More Posts by FullScalePilot2
Last edited by FullScalePilot2; Dec 09, 2013 at 11:29 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 01:39 PM
Joined Dec 2013
7 Posts
Blade -> F330 frame, works GREAT.

OK, finally got my HK 330 frames, and finally migrated my guts over to it.

All the details are here:
http://www.dishers.com/2014/01/11/bl...ives-and-flies

Basically it works well for me. It's a little tight, probably because it's 20mm smaller than it should be.

If I had it to do over again I'd mount the battery on the bottom just because it take an extra step to strap down the battery leads so they can't get into a prop.

1) COVER the barometer on the board. Until you do, GREEN mode is going to suck, as direct light or wind hits that thing, you'll get really crappy results.

2) Now that everything is exposed, flying in suboptimal weather kind of blows. Crashing it in the snow and filling the frame with snow seems like a bad idea.

I am certainly enjoying it now that I've fixed the baro issue, I think it flies as good if not better than it did in it's original form. Care was taken to keep the compass orientation, etc.

I'm diggin it.

-MD
Old Jun 01, 2014, 08:57 PM
United States, NC, Climax
Joined Feb 2014
88 Posts
What are you calling the barometer board?
brad2388 is online now Find More Posts by brad2388
Old Jun 03, 2014, 02:57 PM
Joined Dec 2013
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad2388 View Post
What are you calling the barometer board?
Well, some folks think the barometer is on the same board as the GPS. I believe it's on the main board.

Once I covered the main board with closed cell foam, my 'Green mode' Hover/altitude hold became as stable as it was prior to the transplant.

YMMV
Old Jun 11, 2014, 09:07 PM
Joined Feb 2014
88 Posts
Gotcha! Is that frame lighter than the stock blade body? Also the legs i need room for the gimbal. I would like to add a bigger battery with the gimbal i get about 7 mins of flying
Old Jun 11, 2014, 09:19 PM
Joined Dec 2013
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad2388 View Post
Gotcha! Is that frame lighter than the stock blade body? Also the legs i need room for the gimbal. I would like to add a bigger battery with the gimbal i get about 7 mins of flying
the HK330 frame (DJI F330 Knock Off) is lighter than the factory plastic body. The reason I transplanted it was simply because I smashed the factory body to bits and I needed the body, the tray that holds the boards, and the landing Gear. At the time that stuff was not available.

It's also 330 and not 350 so the props are closer, which means it's *tight* putting the battery on top, keeping it and the wires out of the props.

I bet you could put a light weight gimbal under it, but you'd need to fashion some landing gear and that could start to weigh it down.

I'm don't have any experience flying a factory blade with a gimbal, but have gimbals on some of my other quads and a hex. I'd think that you'd be pushing the limits. It will fly but it will be suboptimal IMHO.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 06:23 AM
Joined Feb 2014
88 Posts
O ok. When i added the tarot to the blade it did make it fly different for sure. It dips a lot more and lower now
Old Jul 05, 2014, 03:28 PM
Joined Jul 2014
2 Posts
ok, i bought the f330 frame from hobby king, and i researched and researched how other have built theirs. my main point is i wanted to keep it as close to the factory configuration. so here is what i came up with, i still have small details to finish up, but it flies awesome, also, i have some photos of how i did the gps, i used some dow board, which is a great light weight foam, and i put the copper tape under the upper piece on the f330 frame to keep it shielded, this is just a test flight he flying sucs because of me, when i turned it back around the low battery light was blinking and i didn't see how close i was to the edge of the boards. but it handles awesome, i will post a better vid after the batteries are charged. also i used vet wrap for the tape colors, its real light and it adheres to itself that way i can see it when its farther away!
350 qx on hobbyking f330frame (1 min 34 sec)
airbrushjohn is offline Find More Posts by airbrushjohn