New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 27, 2015, 01:33 PM
Find More Posts by CelstialWiseAss
Joined Aug 2015
1 Posts
Discussion
How to design an RC plane?

So I've been building planes for a while... gosh it's almost a year now.
I've built about 6 planes.. 0 success.
I was basically building by copying from other plans and modifying them.
I have no degree in Engineering. I'm 17.

It would help if someone posts some step by step instructions with as much details as possible
so yeah.. go ahead and hit me with all the equations and stuff
CelstialWiseAss is offline Find More Posts by CelstialWiseAss
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2015, 02:12 PM
Find More Posts by springer
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,842 Posts
Do you want to play with equations, or build andcfly a plane? Knowing the math doesn't guarantee a successful plane, as the math is generally applicable to full size, and some things scale down, while others don't.

If you want to do a plane, it would be useful to know and see what you have tried so far. (Helps to know what you are interested in).

Your comment about building and modifying could be telling. Generally it is best to build to the designer's plan, get it flying, then if you want, to begin modifications. But there are a bunch of us here willing to help where ever you are on the path rlto flying scratchbuilts..
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
Old Aug 27, 2015, 02:20 PM
Find More Posts by StayQuiet
United States, SC, Boiling Springs
Joined Jul 2011
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelstialWiseAss View Post

It would help if someone posts some step by step instructions with as much details as possible
I have to ask: is your (lack of) success due to issues with the planes, or pilot error / inexperience? Have you flown a plane built from plans without modifications with success?

You don't necessarily have to have a degree in engineering. I've modified plans to convert from gas to electric (TuLowe Crop Dusting), modified kits for twin electric setups (Sig Midstar 40), and designed my own from scratch (Snafuey II). They all fly very well. I'm a far cry from an engineer.
StayQuiet is offline Find More Posts by StayQuiet
Old Aug 27, 2015, 02:38 PM
Find More Posts by chodgson
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Apr 2014
54 Posts
How to design anything:

1) Identify your requirements
2) break it down into components
3) research how to the components can be made to meet the requirements
4) test and experiment to ensure the components and assembled thing meet the requirements.

If you want to shortcut the process, start with an existing design and modify it to meet your requirements. If your requirement is to make a plane that doesn't look like any other existing plane; expect it to be difficult, because there are likely good reasons why such a plane doesn't already exist.

Asking everyone else to do your research for you without even defining your requirements is kinda silly - but here is a link to get you started:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+design+rc+plane
chodgson is offline Find More Posts by chodgson
Old Aug 27, 2015, 03:24 PM
Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
4,157 Posts
Quote:

Have you flown ANY RC planes successfully yet , or have you been trying to learn how to fly RC with the planes you've built ?

If you are trying to learn RC flying on a home made plane , IMHO you'll have the best chance at success with a plane that is self-righting and can fly SLOWLY . For a plane to be self-righting , it needs a high wing and dihedral/polyhedral ( wing ends angled up ) . For a plane to fly slowly , it needs light wing loading ( MINIMUM weight , MAXIMUM wing area ) .

The scratch-built plane I use to teach first time flyers is the EzFly . It's a VERY stable flyer ( self-righting ) , and for slow flight I make them with an increased wingspan ( to MAXIMIZE wing area ) and lightweight electronics ( to MINIMIZE weight ) . If you would like to build one , I can help you with the entire process .

Here is one of my EzFlys :

Copy of EzFly with under-cambered wing (1 min 57 sec)

Here is another home made plane , with VERY light wing loading for slow flight :

Lightweight 40" wingspan FT Old Fogey-ish (2 min 58 sec)
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Aug 27, 2015, 04:19 PM
Find More Posts by dz1sfb
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
11,419 Posts
Step by Step Instructions

Quote:

1. Build a well proven design with the recommended components.

2. Seek out competent instruction and follow it.

3. Fly, fly, fly, and fly some more. Become proficient with the proven model until you can land it at your feet, and put another flight on it.

4. Learn to exploit its flight envelope to its limit. That means aerobatics.

5. Learn to fly in less than ideal conditions. It is good to tap that competent instructor again.

6. Learn how to repair your model. There is no sense in replacing a model if you can't keep it in good repair. Of course if it's totally wasted, then you may have to.

7. Upgrade to a more aerobatic model or at least a four channel plane, and repeating steps 1 - 6.

Now you will know what to expect and mostly how to react to it when it misbehaves. There is no substitute for experience. A good flight simulator can help you build some of that as well.

In the meantime, peruse these threads to discover what is working and do not fail to ask why. This is a great community when it comes to help. It can be a bit confusing at times due to differences in expectations and flying styles, but you'll learn to muddle through it.

Best wishes,
Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by dz1sfb; Aug 27, 2015 at 04:24 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 04:29 PM
Find More Posts by Whiskers
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb View Post
1. Build a well proven design with the recommended components.

2. Seek out competent instruction and follow it.

3. Fly, fly, fly, and fly some more. Become proficient with the proven model until you can land it at your feet, and put another flight on it.

4. Learn to exploit its flight envelope to its limit. That means aerobatics.

5. Learn to fly in less than ideal conditions. It is good to tap that competent instructor again.

6. Learn how to repair your model. There is no sense in replacing a model if you can't keep it in good repair. Of course if it's totally wasted, then you may have to.

7. Upgrade to a more aerobatic model or at least a four channel plane, and repeating steps 1 - 6.

Now you will know what to expect and mostly how to react to it when it misbehaves. There is no substitute for experience. A good flight simulator can help you build some of that as well.

In the meantime, peruse these threads to discover what is working and do not fail to ask why. This is a great community when it comes to help. It can be a bit confusing at times due to differences in expectations and flying styles, but you'll learn to muddle through it.

Best wishes,
Ken
There ya go! That's a Master Class right there. Follow that and you will succeed.
Whiskers is offline Find More Posts by Whiskers
Old Aug 28, 2015, 04:45 AM
Find More Posts by Ponappa
India, KA, Bangalore
Joined Dec 2012
65 Posts
Seriously, try and build small gliders to understand how to balance the aircraft for flight....
Next progress to something bigger. Am posting a link as how Bobdaeronort designs his planes... check out his glides on each of his aircraft before he powers them...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2455090

Am amazed at his builds... Though some are complicated its a pleasure to see them fly.

Progress to RC by using flight simulators... log in the hours...

Cheers
Ponappa is offline Find More Posts by Ponappa
Old Aug 28, 2015, 08:01 PM
Find More Posts by Mac50L
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,432 Posts
Quote:
So I've been building planes for a while... gosh it's almost a year now. I've built about 6 planes.. 0 success.
Which designs have you built from? Knowing that might help suggesting something that will work.

I'd say it is hard to fail with a Dart-XS, 3 or 4 channel. Up to about 600 mm span ~19 g motor.

Have you flown anything successfully? Meaning is it your flying skill, not building skill the problem?
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
Old Aug 28, 2015, 11:18 PM
Find More Posts by Dave180
Joined Dec 2012
239 Posts
I've seen enough videos and have come to a conclusion that just about anything and everything can fly.
Dave180 is offline Find More Posts by Dave180
Last edited by Dave180; Aug 28, 2015 at 11:57 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 01:33 AM
Joined Feb 2010
4,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave180 View Post
I've seen enough videos and have come to a conclusion that just about anything and everything can fly.
It's true that weird and wacky things can be made to fly but these things are seldom suitable for a beginner.
Over the years I have seen many instances of people who can't fly well, trying to fly a thing that would tax the skill of an expert pilot.
It never ends well...
Whiskers is offline Find More Posts by Whiskers
Old Aug 29, 2015, 06:32 PM
Find More Posts by 62pilot
Don't look at me like that....
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,826 Posts
It's just like carving a wooden duck. Get a big chunk of foam, and cut off everything that don't look like a plane.
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
Old Aug 29, 2015, 07:00 PM
Find More Posts by BHOFM
Kimbers Keeper.
United States, AR
Joined Nov 2014
1,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62pilot View Post
It's just like carving a wooden duck. Get a big chunk of foam, and cut off everything that don't look like a duck.

How do I mount the motor?
BHOFM is offline Find More Posts by BHOFM
Old Aug 29, 2015, 09:11 PM
Joined Feb 2010
4,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHOFM View Post
How do I mount the motor?
Like this... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1515647