New Products Flash Sale
Old May 27, 2015, 03:43 AM
Find More Posts by bshultz327
Branjo
Joined Sep 2013
344 Posts
Thanks Sean, Yeah it's been a real joy to get it done and fly it. So, I'm going to take yours and Charlies advice and leave it as is and just learn to fly it a little smoother and slower. Keep up the good work.
Branden
bshultz327 is offline Find More Posts by bshultz327
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2015, 06:10 AM
Find More Posts by Spring
CH Spring
Canada, ON, Osgoode
Joined Mar 2008
512 Posts
I happened across this thread and would like to thank those who have offered tips.

I built a Guillows Camel that looked so pretty when it was done my wife wouldn't let me fly it. I also built a Dumas Northrop Alpha 4A. I have flown it.

If I were to fly the Camel I know it would be a handful. Some of your comments explain why.

My experience with the Alpha is such that I can put a couple of tips gained here to good use.

Cheers!
Spring is offline Find More Posts by Spring
Old May 28, 2015, 08:57 AM
Find More Posts by portablevcb
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
16,658 Posts
I love the little Dumas kits. Built the Hurricane and Gee Bee E. I have the Helldiver that Pat Tritle converted. Also built one of theBird Dog prototypes. The Alpha was on my list for a long time.

I'd not fly the Camel unless you took the time to make it a lot lighter. Leave it for display and build another one made for flying.

I will put in a shameless plug here and 'advertise' the Peter Rake 36" Camel. Flies really well (mine is the one on the website). FWIW, that is the plane that taught me about overpowering flat bottom airfoils

3/4 of the way down the page.
http://www.manzanolaser.com/html/peter_rake.html

Or if you want smaller the IPS powered version
http://www.manzanolaser.com/html/small_models.html

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old May 30, 2015, 06:46 PM
Find More Posts by portablevcb
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
16,658 Posts
Forgot another one.

Brodak/Dare Camel designed by Andrew Hewitt. About as scale as you can get. I still have one sitting on the shelf waiting for the day that I can do it justice. It begs for full details and scale controls along with a rotating motor.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb