SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 29, 2015, 03:00 PM
Find More Posts by rocketsled666
If it flies, I can crash it.
Joined May 2012
1,085 Posts
I'm pleased to see this video. I'm building my Mini now, and have a spare Park 480 1050KV lying around. Wanted to use it but was concerned about the weight. Apparently that's not a concern. Sweet!
rocketsled666 is online now Find More Posts by rocketsled666
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2015, 03:56 PM
Find More Posts by raptor357
United States, MI
Joined Jan 2013
584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketsled666 View Post
I'm pleased to see this video. I'm building my Mini now, and have a spare Park 480 1050KV lying around. Wanted to use it but was concerned about the weight. Apparently that's not a concern. Sweet!
At 1900g it starts getting hard to launch by hand and it starts to fly like a pig, so anything under that works easy. I'm going to fly in a bit and do some more testing with my multistars.
raptor357 is offline Find More Posts by raptor357
Old Aug 29, 2015, 04:00 PM
Find More Posts by BillyM
Canada, MB, Brandon
Joined Jan 2003
708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leenix66 View Post
Maiden video
Nice flight and nice video.

Where did you have it balanced?
BillyM is offline Find More Posts by BillyM
Old Aug 29, 2015, 10:02 PM
United States, MI
Joined Jan 2013
584 Posts
Did some testing tonight and was happy with the results.

Multistar 3s 5200mah x2 OSD says it all, lots of juice left.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 07:57 AM
Find More Posts by jkishan16
Getting Somewhere :D
United Kingdom, England, Loughborough
Joined Dec 2012
932 Posts
is that 35km on less than 5000mAh?

I haven't even built mine and I already love it
I'm assuming you're using the SS1250? Prop?
jkishan16 is offline Find More Posts by jkishan16
Old Aug 30, 2015, 03:34 PM
Find More Posts by Kenniffs
Chch, NZ
Democratic Republic of the Congo, Katanga, Haut-Katanga
Joined Mar 2012
257 Posts
Just come back from a 3 day rc meeting, unfortunately the weather was rubbish but did get some real nice LOS and short distance FPV flights in.
This is by far the best FPV plane I have had. Beats my 2mt FPVRaptor V2 hands down...and although I like the big wings I have built launching them is always a lottery if not using a bungee. This thing just about flies out of the hand.
Can't spot any bad habits at all with this plane, just does it all and comes back for more.

Had my Gopro up on the nose, no problem getting COG right at all with just a 4000mah 4S, you have so much room to move the battery around it's ridiculous.
I had glued in a piece of thin ply with velcro on it up into the nose. If I was to do it again I would make it longer so it extends all the way back to the spar just to give a little more room to move the battery even further back if I add a gimble up on the nose.

I had no problem with the removable tail fins. I did wrap a rubber band around the trailing edge of them for added security. Might add a second mounting screw later on...
I did learn the hard way to launch at 80% throttle, it turned turtle on me twice on launch due to the torque roll at 100%. This is with a 8x6 prop too, would be worse with a bigger prop so be ready for that.
Having said that, I am going to experiment with a 9x5 and maybe a 10x4 just to get more prop out in the wind.

I used laminate all round the nose and back along the underside of the fuse to the TE. I think this really helped when it turned turtle on me.
The plywood spacers inside also shattered, but numb-nuts here had forgotten to do up the wing spar clamps so that was my fault! Nothing I can't fix (especially as I picked up a nice dremel scroll saw in the buy-sell-exchange tent!).

If you are considering a moderate size FPV plane that can do it all then don't look any further, this is the one!
Kenniffs is online now Find More Posts by Kenniffs
Old Aug 30, 2015, 06:59 PM
Find More Posts by HelloNello
Long Range FPV addict
Australia, VIC, Werribee
Joined Jan 2013
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenniffs View Post
I did learn the hard way to launch at 80% throttle, it turned turtle on me twice on launch due to the torque roll at 100%. This is with a 8x6 prop too, would be worse with a bigger prop so be ready for that.
Having said that, I am going to experiment with a 9x5 and maybe a 10x4 just to get more prop out in the wind.
I have had 3 bad launches with the Mini Talon all in calm wind conditions and all due to torque roll and low airspeed.
I fixed this issue on my mini Talon in 2 ways:
1 - I replaced the ntm 28-30 900kv and 9x6 prop with a Cobra C-2814/20 Brushless Motor 850 Kv and a 10x6 prop (I like Long Range FPV)
2 - I now lean the model to the right on launch but still use 100% power

Interesting to note that I dropped the prop to the recommended prop 9x5 on the Cobra data sheet and it did not have enough power and landed immediately after takeoff. Only 9.0 amps full throttle

As soon as I changed to a 10x6 prop I have 20 amps full throttle and can cruise on 2.5 to 3.5 amps

I know others have this launch problem and personally I believe it all comes down to getting airspeed as quickly as possible with the Mini Talon. The large Talon does not exhibit this take off issue.
HelloNello is offline Find More Posts by HelloNello
Old Aug 31, 2015, 12:03 AM
United States, MI
Joined Jan 2013
584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkishan16 View Post
is that 35km on less than 5000mAh?

I haven't even built mine and I already love it
I'm assuming you're using the SS1250? Prop?
My current sensor is off I put back in 5200mah

Yes SS1250 on 9x6 APC on 3s 10.4ah multistars.