SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:41 AM
History Eraser Button?
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Aug 2010
1,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
John; the last thing I wanted to do was start and argument, I was merely pointing out that I know how my models fly and hence know perfectly well what the effect of reducing the wing incidence would be. Obviously my set-up works for me on the dozen or more vintage/nostalgia F/F conversions I have set up this way, yours works for you, fair enough there are usually more ways than one of achieving something. The point I was trying to make is that there is no NEED to change the setting in 99% of cases unless the model is either over-powered or you want to achieve different flying characteristics which suit your flying style better.

With that I'll shut up and apologise to PeterH for hijacking his build thread, I am looking forward to seeing the Mam'selle take shape and wish you success with it Peter, whatever set up you use.
Same here; no desire to hijack this thread and also looking forward to the Mam taking shape
pomroyj is offline Find More Posts by pomroyj
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:07 PM
Granby, CT, USA
Joined Jan 2001
953 Posts
this has been enlightening

Thanks to all for their experience and comments. Just what I was looking for. I'm also reminded of a 'wise saying' I picked up keeping company with luthiers: Ask two luthiers the same question at the same time and you'll get three answers...

Thanks again and I very much appreciate the time and interest you folks have given me.
PeterH is offline Find More Posts by PeterH
Old Mar 21, 2013, 05:34 PM
Granby, CT, USA
Joined Jan 2001
953 Posts
Mam'selle progress

Just so this thread doesn't get swamped by staleness, the empennage and wing exist, fuselage is next. I'll post pictures of what's built so far.

I succombed to my fears of hauling lots of lead in the nose - - - all these ff models look like they used relatively heavy engines. So I stretched the nose forward an inch. I think I'm going to leave the firewall in its original location and stretch the cowling. That offers the possibility of shortening the nose because the model's noseheavy by simply relocating the motor further aft and shortening the cowling, no fuselage surgery required. Also room to park the esc forward of the firewall and reduce the cabin clutter a bit.
Last edited by PeterH; Mar 21, 2013 at 11:46 PM. Reason: add text
Old Apr 20, 2013, 10:52 PM
Granby, CT, USA
Joined Jan 2001
953 Posts
Mam'selle progress

I never was one to do a whole lot of documentation photos of my projects, and I didn't change my behavior for the Mam'selle. But I did take pictures tonight of the completed airframe ready-to-cover. Everything's sanded and dusted off. Next step is to get it all covered. What I pictured is a Mam'selle enlarged 25% from the original; the wingspan is now 45 inches. Wing area is 2.1 square feet, and what you see weighs nine ounces including the elevator and rudder servos that were mounted early to allow alignment of their pushrod tubes. Cowl is held on by two pairs of magnets. Wing held on with two #4 nylon bolts at the rear, two dowels up front into the windshield header. All materials were original plan sizes. I added horizontal stabilizer spars. I changed the wing to use 4 spars with diagonal bracing on the mainspar outboard of the solid dihedral brace (2 pieces of 1/32 plywood sandwiching 1/8" solid filler between the spars. All spar stock is 1/8" square balsa. Landing gear was bent from 3/32" music wire.

I extended the firewall forward an inch. I guessed that the nose was short and seeing as the tail got lengthened as well, I added a fuselage former an inch ahead of the original firewall location. Fifty years ago when I was given the plan to my first Mam'selle, the fellow who gave it to me cautioned me to stretch the nose, as our US 1/2A glow engines didn't weigh as much as the diesels that were commonly used in the UK. So I did it again.

Next pictures I will post will be post-covering and I'll try to include the geared Castle Creations motor and the gearbox/mount. I used an e-Flite firewall stick mount for the motor mounted on a standoff block. I used a standoff block so as to allow the motor wires room to gently curve; otherwise the stiff wires would need to take quite a bend and I feared for their integrity.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 02:27 AM
History Eraser Button?
Joined Aug 2010
1,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH View Post
I never was one to do a whole lot of documentation photos of my projects, and I didn't change my behavior for the Mam'selle. But I did take pictures tonight of the completed airframe ready-to-cover. Everything's sanded and dusted off. Next step is to get it all covered. What I pictured is a Mam'selle enlarged 25% from the original; the wingspan is now 45 inches. Wing area is 2.1 square feet, and what you see weighs nine ounces including the elevator and rudder servos that were mounted early to allow alignment of their pushrod tubes. Cowl is held on by two pairs of magnets. Wing held on with two #4 nylon bolts at the rear, two dowels up front into the windshield header. All materials were original plan sizes. I added horizontal stabilizer spars. I changed the wing to use 4 spars with diagonal bracing on the mainspar outboard of the solid dihedral brace (2 pieces of 1/32 plywood sandwiching 1/8" solid filler between the spars. All spar stock is 1/8" square balsa. Landing gear was bent from 3/32" music wire.

I extended the firewall forward an inch. I guessed that the nose was short and seeing as the tail got lengthened as well, I added a fuselage former an inch ahead of the original firewall location. Fifty years ago when I was given the plan to my first Mam'selle, the fellow who gave it to me cautioned me to stretch the nose, as our US 1/2A glow engines didn't weigh as much as the diesels that were commonly used in the UK. So I did it again.

Next pictures I will post will be post-covering and I'll try to include the geared Castle Creations motor and the gearbox/mount. I used an e-Flite firewall stick mount for the motor mounted on a standoff block. I used a standoff block so as to allow the motor wires room to gently curve; otherwise the stiff wires would need to take quite a bend and I feared for their integrity.
Beautiful job Peter! Looking forward to the finished pics. What covering type and colors are you planning to use?

John
Old Apr 22, 2013, 09:34 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,985 Posts
Nice airframe Peter, should be a great performer in this slightly scaled up form.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
Old May 11, 2013, 11:37 PM
Granby, CT, USA
Joined Jan 2001
953 Posts
Finished

Here's the Mam'selle in ready-to-fly condition. I'm pleased I stretched the firewall forward an inch. Needed it. Model's covered with transparent red Black Baron film which was getting way too old hanging around the shop. Model is powered by a geared Castle Creations CM2042 motor geared 5.66:1, 9x5 propeller, 3s 1300 mah lithium battery. Radio is Airtronics, two 9-gram servos. Weight ready to fly is 21 ounces.

Next to come is flight report and pictures in-flight.

This has been a very satisfying project; only fifty years since I made my first Mam'selle.
Old May 12, 2013, 05:02 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,985 Posts
Lovely Peter, good luck with the flying.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
Old May 12, 2013, 09:03 AM
Joined Aug 2002
42 Posts
Nice build Peter, I really like translucent red as it shows up really well in the sky plus it shows off the plane's bones underneath.

Where do you fly? Just curious since you're fairly close. I'm up in Chicopee MA and fly out of the HCRC field in Hadley MA.

The weather has been getting much better this month so I'd imagine the maiden will be soon. Best of luck with the first flights!

Mark
edalpoe is offline Find More Posts by edalpoe
Old May 12, 2013, 09:08 AM
1:1 scale is fun!
United States, NJ, Midland Park
Joined Feb 2009
465 Posts
Very pretty Peter!!
ECBoehm is offline Find More Posts by ECBoehm
Old May 12, 2013, 11:07 AM
Granby, CT, USA
Joined Jan 2001
953 Posts
flying site, reactions

Mark, I will probably lug the Mam'selle to Old Flying Buddy's field in New York to socialze and have a well-supported test flying session. Otherwise, locally, I fly in Simsbury.

Thanks to the folks who responded to the pictures. Pictures are great, they can make my aggregation of mistakes and shoulda-done-it-different construction look decent.
Old May 13, 2013, 12:43 PM
History Eraser Button?
Joined Aug 2010
1,104 Posts
Beautiful job!! Great choice on the red transparent. Good luck and remember to set your flight timer; time flies by fast when maidening a new bird.

John