HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:26 PM
zeraldo
Joined Apr 2011
40 Posts
Whoops!
Bixler 2 - my first big crash

Hi, folks.

I have bought recently a Bixler2 from hobbyking. I have to say it is really an awesome plane. I was long looking for a stable trainer airplane, to finally learn some RC piloting, and this is probably it!

The maiden flight was four weeks ago, and it was very quick, because the winds were too strong (september is a windy period in Fortaleza) and I was afraid to destroy it before I was able even to learn anything. The next week, I went to the same place and the wind was even stronger than in the first time, but I thought it would worth it to give it a try. I put the little keychain camera on it and let it fly... Well, sort of, for, as you can see on the video below, it crashed badly.

Actually, the wings folded and broke in flight! It went up high when a flush of wind made it uncontrollable (at least for me at the moment...) and it went down really fast. I saw it breaking before hitting the ground. The foam which holds the carbon fiber rod inside the wing extruded and the wing broke on its insertion in the fuselage. The broken wing flew many meters away from the plane and hit a rock, which "removed"a small bit of it

The repair, although, was not difficult. Some foam safe glue, and it was ready for another round, except for the tiny bit ripped apart from the wing, with no hazard to the flight stability. I decided to use velcro to hold the wings together, in replacement for the big lousy stock screws. This saves me many minutes and patience every time I have to assemble the plane to fly. I have already flown it several times after this crash, and it keeps very smooth and stable. I do hope the strong winds season ends soon, tough.

video

bixler2 air crash (1 min 17 sec)
zerado is offline Find More Posts by zerado
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2012, 05:59 PM
Brazil, SC, Joinville
Joined Aug 2007
4 Posts
Hi,

Sorry to hear about the crash. I am also building a Bixler, and trying to learn from other people's experiences before committing for the maiden flight. Here in Joinville (SC) we have a different problem with wind - it never seems to come from the same direction for more than a couple of minutes. Granted, it is almost never too strong, but even after you selected your take-off direction - or worse, started your landing approach - the wind changes again, which leaves you thinking whether or not a runway change is in order. It's good for gliding though, with lots of thermals.

...Gotta visit Fortaleza someday. I've heard nothing but good things about the city.

Keep that Bixler flying!
...Bruno.
brunobl is offline Find More Posts by brunobl
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:12 AM
zeraldo
Joined Apr 2011
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunobl View Post
Hi,

Sorry to hear about the crash. I am also building a Bixler, and trying to learn from other people's experiences before committing for the maiden flight. Here in Joinville (SC) we have a different problem with wind - it never seems to come from the same direction for more than a couple of minutes. Granted, it is almost never too strong, but even after you selected your take-off direction - or worse, started your landing approach - the wind changes again, which leaves you thinking whether or not a runway change is in order. It's good for gliding though, with lots of thermals.

...Gotta visit Fortaleza someday. I've heard nothing but good things about the city.

Keep that Bixler flying!
...Bruno.
Hello, Bruno.

It's nice to know other bixler owners in Brazil! I am truly happy with mine and I do recommend people to buy and fly it. I have to say it is a pretty stable plane. Once it is up there, a change in the wind direction should not be a big problem, specially if the wind is mild or weak. Here in Fortaleza, these days, the wind is quite strong and it makes a little harder to control the plane, but it is still fun. I am not a very experienced rc pilot, but I have owned other planes and they were very difficult to control in strong wind days. So, if I was able to control it, probably any other rc pilot with little experience (maybe even none) would. Don't delay your maiden flight just because of the wind direction. It is a very stable plane, really fun to pilot and very easy to repair, in case of a crash.

Also, I think it is a nice idea to visit our town. You won't regret it, that's for sure. And if you bring your bixler, it should be even funnier!
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:42 PM
zeraldo
Joined Apr 2011
40 Posts
new videos

here, a couple of videos shot after that big crash. the plane is flying as new. I haven't even replaced the wings, just glued the broken ones.

bixler 2 - voo sobre dunas da taíba - 5 (2 min 51 sec)

bixler 2 - mini drift hd - quick flight - porto das dunas (0 min 51 sec)