HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 13, 2012, 04:27 PM
Faith in Lift.
United States, CO, Hotchkiss
Joined Oct 2006
1,718 Posts
These ARF boats are great if you don't want to build. The best boats are the ones you build from a kit, after researching them on the AMYA website and you will have a lot of fun.
Pilatuspc12 is offline Find More Posts by Pilatuspc12
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2012, 06:00 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,556 Posts
Nirvana ll vs. V32

The Nirvana comes as ready to sail boat including 2.4ghz radio and sells for about $269.00 shipped.
It is most likely the best starter RC sailboat you can buy for so many reasons.
It is dirt simple to unpack and set up - less than 30 mins. It is durable, sails well in most conditions and will provide many years of enjoyment.
The V 32 is normally sold as a kit boat for about $140.00 and you will need to buy servos, radio, receiver, battery holder etc. Victor will sell you a ready to sail version for some where around $325.00 give or take. It would most likely have and older style AM radio.

The V32 is an excellant sailboat and it too will provide years of enjoyment. The V32 is not as durable as the Nirvana. It sports wooden booms and mast. It is a very basic RC yacht.

The Nirvana sports carbon Fiber booms and mast and incorporates some very niffty engineering - very water tight designed hatch vs the very basic slider hatch cover on the V32 not nearly as water tight.

I would give the edge to the Nirvana in speed - but it would be close with equally matched skippers.

My main issue with the V32 is the hull is very thin and requires some care in handling and transporting. The Nirvana is almost bullet proof and is certainly the easiest to transport.

I like them both but if I had to choose just one, it would be the Nirvana. Oh both are AMYA listed if that is important. If it matters, I just sold my V32 - still have my Nirvana.

Hope that helps
Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Apr 13, 2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 06:24 PM
Registered Model Boat Captain
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
235 Posts
Thanks!

Boomer,

Thank you! Just exactly the sort of info and detail I was looking for! I think I will order the Nirvanna. I sent an email to a few of my RC buddies hoping to stir up enough interest to order at least three and start our own class!

Thank you again very much, you don't often get such on the mark responses!

Jim
rcjimd is offline Find More Posts by rcjimd
Old Apr 13, 2012, 07:19 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,556 Posts
I am sure you will enjoy your new Nirvana - Lots of good information over on the Nirvana thread. Bunch of good guys - good information on the Nirvana and lots of other things to boot.
Check it out
Boomer
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:10 AM
Vampyre Inc
Rochester, New York
Joined Nov 2004
2,562 Posts
Lots of nice choices, I ended up buying 2 Vela's after reading up on different sites.
I was going to get a Seawind as my second boat, but after reading about weak keel area and hatch leaks, and it is an older design and ABS hull, I have already had one Vela, and love it, so I got another one.

The size of the Vela is also nice.
HoverDown3K is offline Find More Posts by HoverDown3K
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:35 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,549 Posts
Apart from the sadly discontinued Tamiya Yamaha RTW yacht, the Seawind is generally considered one of the very best kit boats around. Yes, it can be improved but there are very few if any that don't need more improvemants.
martin richards is offline Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:08 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,556 Posts
Yamaha for sale

I concur with Martin! The Yamaha RTW is one of, if not the finest production RC model Yachts ever produced! I suggest that If you like your Vela, you'd love a Seawind.

The fixes a Vela needs are far greater than the minor hatch and keel pocket issues with a Seawind. I have had a Vela, a Carbon Fiber Seawind, currently I have an ABS Seawind and two Yamahas.

If you are interested, there is a very nice Yamaha for sale. As I understand it, the owner is moving to smaller quarters and sadly has decided to sell it. It is in Montreal. His forum contact name is "step hen". I have his e-mail address if you or anyone is interested. I think he is asking $450 ready to sail plus shipping. That is a fair price!

Here are a few pictures of his boat should you be interested. He has the original Yamaha crew as well, which he will sell as well. Both are very rare and a true find!

Please consider this boat as well as a Seawind. You won't be disappointed.

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Apr 16, 2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 04:09 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjimd View Post
I am leaning toward the Nirvanna but the v32 is the boat raced local. Could someone describe a few key points between the two?

I am not sure I will end up with the local crowd and would not bother me to end up with one of each but are they similar enough to sail together in casual racing or is one much larger or faster or anything else?

Thanks Jim
I would go with a V32, especialy if that is what is sailed locally. What I like best about the V32 is there is nothing to fix no upgrades needed. V32 was my first sailboat and I have not had one issue with it. She sails well and sails dry even in heavy wind. And if you find you want to sell it, you will at least have sailors locally who will want to buy it from you.
Plenty of info out there.
http://www.v32rc.org/
gpzy is offline Find More Posts by gpzy
Last edited by gpzy; Apr 16, 2012 at 04:38 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 04:20 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,556 Posts
gpzy makes valid points no question. Choices like this are personal, so my thinking is look a both boats, ask yourself which one do I like better.

Then consider the budget. The Nirvana will be less expensive either way. If you build a V 32 kit or buy a ready to sail version your total expenses will be greater.

I like both boats. As I suggested earlier, I believe the Nirvana has the edge on technology and durability and is the easier of the two to transport.

Having owned both, I am objective and know you would enjoy either boat. It is a matter of tastes and budget.

Boomer
Old Apr 18, 2012, 02:21 PM
Vampyre Inc
Rochester, New York
Joined Nov 2004
2,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
I concur with Martin! The Yamaha RTW is one of, if not the finest production RC model Yachts ever produced! I suggest that If you like your Vela, you'd love a Seawind........
Please consider this boat as well as a Seawind. You won't be disappointed.

Boomer
I see many like the Seawind, I decided to get one, and give it a try , it is in my office now, waiting for the weekend.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 04:00 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoverDown3K View Post
I see many like the Seawind, I decided to get one, and give it a try , it is in my office now, waiting for the weekend.
Seawind - another excellent choice! Only two small issues to address - one is the factory hatch will leak - very easy to fix or replace. The keel pocket should be reinforced with a layer of fiberglass. That too is a very easy.

Check out this site for pretty much everything you'd ever what to know about a Seawind.
http://www.seawindrc.com/forums/philboard.asp

Boomer
Old Apr 19, 2012, 08:01 AM
Vampyre Inc
Rochester, New York
Joined Nov 2004
2,562 Posts
Boomer1, Thanks for the info, I joined that website / forum about 1 week ago.
Lots of great info, I will do the keel and hatch mods.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 11:41 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,556 Posts
Quote:
Boomer1, Thanks for the info, I joined that website / forum about 1 week ago.
Lots of great info, I will do the keel and hatch mods.
There are a number of good solutions for the hatch leaking issue. I opted for a replacement hatch cover I found on line a year ago. It is really nice workmanship, but certainly on the pricey side. I have used one on each of my Seawinds with good success. Here is a link to that site http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kyosho-Seawi...item3a72d1aadc

The original hatch can be stiffened and a good quality seal added and it will work just fine. Many of the guys have made their own replacement covers.

Posted a few pictures for you.

Boomer
Old Apr 19, 2012, 07:39 PM
Vampyre Inc
Rochester, New York
Joined Nov 2004
2,562 Posts
I seen that one on Ebay, yes it is a little pricey as you stated.
Has anyone tried using hatch tape?
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:42 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,556 Posts
Quote:
I seen that one on Ebay, yes it is a little pricey as you stated.
Has anyone tried using hatch tape?
The issue with hatch tape is that you have to keep putting it on, then taking it off............... Not to mention the deck design is not friendly to using the tape.
I used in on a few of my FE's in the case of flips, but didn't like it so I figured out better ways to secure and seal the hatches.

As I mentioned, by stiffening and properly sealing the factory hatch cover you can get a pretty water tight seal. My thinking was that $68 was a cheap insurance policy verses the cost of replacing my receiver or servos or both.

I posted a pictures of my old CF Seawind on it's rail with the water up to the starboard helm. Not a drop of water inside! I have sailed it in some very heavy conditions - to the point of it dragging both booms. Not a drop of water inside!

I am not suggesting that this hatch cover is the only good way to seal the hatch, I personally just liked the machine work and the professional appearance it yields.

Boomer

PS
If you are not aware, once you select a photo, you can expand it by clicking your curson on the picture once, then once again. By doing that you can see just how deep the boat is in the water. Great day for sailing - this was the maiden voyage of this particular boat a years or so ago.
Last edited by Boomer1; Apr 20, 2012 at 12:51 PM.