Closed Thread
Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:37 AM
If it flies, I can crash it!
Naperville, IL
Joined Aug 2010
1,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithLuneau View Post
If someone figures out a better lens to use, I'd be very interested! Does anyone know what thread the lens is?

You could always adapt it to a standard M12 threaded lens holder, but then the lens would be quite a bit larger than the sensor... lol I'm sure there's some options out there, just need to know what thread to look for. I see plenty for M5, M6, M8, etc.
Tom had approximately measured the lense barrel size to be around 6mm. When I get mine, I will find out the exact thread size. The problem with adapting it to a larger thread, like M12 (standard for many CCD lenses) is that you need to remove the stock threads so the M12 lense can get close enough to the sensor. I'm going to play with mine when I get it and see what I can come up with. I will post pictures.

I really don't care if I destroy it now because I just ordered a GoPro Hero HD

Doug
djdavid60 is offline Find More Posts by djdavid60
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:46 AM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feath3r View Post
What's the weight of the #11, with and without battery (and case), if someone has this info? I would like to install this into HZ Champ, and need to keep the weight down to a minimum - planning to take the power from the flight battery (shouldn't affect the flight times much, I assume), and probably go for a permanent installation.

Any suggestions for a case - shrinkwrap? Little bit terrified to open the box and possibly bricking it in the process, but just don't see it feasible to use it as is. Mine is still on its way.
It's too early to go rummaning around in my COLD garage to get to my scale but several people have been flying the #3's on the HZ Champ without any problems at all. All videos were stock cameras with no modification or removal of the case or battery.

Yabba

Here's a link to a recent video from a HZ Champ

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=7100
Yabba is offline Find More Posts by Yabba
Last edited by Yabba; Jan 14, 2011 at 12:24 PM. Reason: added post to video link
Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:58 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joespeeder View Post
. Anyone have a polarizing filter to try on the front of a #11?
I sometimes use a jelly polarizer on #3. Should work the same on #11

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3112
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Jan 14, 2011, 11:52 AM
Joined Mar 2001
2,625 Posts
The #3 weighs 16g with case and battery. I don't know how that compares to the HD version.

TT
t-turley is offline Find More Posts by t-turley
Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:30 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-turley View Post
The #3 weighs 16g with case and battery. I don't know how that compares to the HD version.

TT
Brrrr, I finally went out to the garage and got my scale.

The #11 808HD weighs 15g on my scale without the keychain part and with a 1 inch piece of hook side velcro

So they probably weigh the same (3 and 11) just minor variation due to different scales and the new Astrological Chart. I went from being an Aries to being a fish !!! )

Yabba
Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:32 PM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdavid60 View Post

Doug
I'm jealous !! Let's flash the firmware on the GoPro when you get it and then re-focus it

Yabba
Old Jan 14, 2011, 01:41 PM
Halifax Electric Flyers Assoc
Halifax, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
315 Posts
Quote:

Doug
Hi Doug -- the GoPro Hero makes excellent vid, but at 179g (with battery and case) it's awful heavy. If you're planning onboard video, what kind of plane will you mount it on?

Dave
dghutt is offline Find More Posts by dghutt
Old Jan 14, 2011, 01:50 PM
Naperville, IL
Joined Aug 2010
1,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghutt View Post
Hi Doug -- the GoPro Hero makes excellent vid, but at 179g (with battery and case) it's awful heavy. If you're planning onboard video, what kind of plane will you mount it on?

Dave
I'm mounting it on my T-Wii-Copter (attached). Also am planning on an FPV plane, but haven't decided on which one yet. Skywalker is the front runner right now.

I still plan on using the keychain cam in my smaller planes. So I should still be careful with it when it arrives. But I am going to see if I can mod it with a good lense

Doug
Old Jan 14, 2011, 01:56 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Just ordered mine from internet-shop 365!

What memory cards are people using?
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk
Old Jan 14, 2011, 02:01 PM
Naperville, IL
Joined Aug 2010
1,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgearuk View Post
Just ordered mine from internet-shop 365!

What memory cards are people using?
I'll be using an 8GB Class 6 that I use in my old #3 cam. I'll edit my post laster with the brand name if you want. It's been a great card.

Doug
Old Jan 14, 2011, 02:19 PM
Joined Mar 2001
2,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yabbadaba2 View Post
. . . just minor variation due to different scales and the new Astrological Chart. I went from being an Aries to being a fish !!! )
So did I, although I really wanted the new sign, Ophiuchus, 'cause it sounds cool and mysterious.

TT
t-turley is offline Find More Posts by t-turley
Old Jan 14, 2011, 02:47 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Quote:
I'll be using an 8GB Class 6 that I use in my old #3 cam. I'll edit my post laster with the brand name if you want. It's been a great card.

Doug
Thanks, This is the card i'm looking at Samsung MB-MP8GEU 8GB Micro SDHC PLUS Class 6 Extreme Speed Memory Card.

Does this sound ok?
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk
Old Jan 14, 2011, 04:20 PM
Naperville, IL
Joined Aug 2010
1,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgearuk View Post
Thanks, This is the card i'm looking at Samsung MB-MP8GEU 8GB Micro SDHC PLUS Class 6 Extreme Speed Memory Card.

Does this sound ok?
I would let someone else chime in who has their 808HD camera in hand. Mine is in transit on a rickshaw somewhere in China right now. My only concern would be that 8GB could get used up pretty quick with HD video. It was plenty on the old #3 camera.

Doug
Old Jan 14, 2011, 04:22 PM
Naperville, IL
Joined Aug 2010
1,161 Posts
Quote:
I'm jealous !! Let's flash the firmware on the GoPro when you get it and then re-focus it

Yabba
HAHAHA!!! Yabba. I have a feeling the focus will be fine on the GoPro. Depending on how long the camera has been sitting in the warehouse, I might actually have to flash it to the latest version

Doug
Old Jan 14, 2011, 04:24 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,979 Posts
Quote:

Yabba
The lens focus is good, but it DOES need a different lens for AV video. Great picture quality, but I can't stand the way that fisheye lens distorts the horizon... very distracting and unnatural to me. Put a lens on it with less distortion, and it's golden (but still pricey!)
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Closed Thread