HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2011, 01:13 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
4,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post
I'm still mystified by so many people wanting to convert tricycle gear planes to tail draggers. Trikes handle so much nicer and the 182 was never a tail dragger to start with.

Yeah, I know, tail draggers work better in grass but there are plenty of planes already configured like that. It seems far easier to get one, rather than bashing an inexpensive foamy like this. But to each his own.

I really enjoy doing scale takeoffs and landing on pavement with this model. It can look very realistic with a longer takeoff roll and gentle climbout. Landings with proper flare and nose up touchdown can be strikingly realistic.

I've had mine a year now and logged 209 flights on it. Still going strong.
I am no means bashing this plane due to the tricycle landing gear. Sorry if it came across that way I have high regards for this Dynam plane among many other of their products. Believe, me if I had easy access to perfect pavement, I would keep the landing gear as is.

KMan
kman24 is offline Find More Posts by kman24
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2011, 03:03 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Oct 2011
667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro_pyro View Post
I was never able to extract the original shaft from my blue motor.
I ordered 5 replacement shafts. I got them from Strong RC motors. I was browsing the forums at rcdiscuss, and some mentioned that they got replacements from RC RC Motors. They said there are a little shorter but they work. I'll up the thread once I get them
devgrp is offline Find More Posts by devgrp
Old Dec 06, 2011, 07:09 PM
Blade mSR freak
Irish Hills - SE Michigan
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
It pays to read through this entire thread. I posted these links on page 13.

Replacement blue motor:
Quote:
Shaft kit:

Quote:
hydro_pyro is offline Find More Posts by hydro_pyro
Old Dec 06, 2011, 07:47 PM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,865 Posts
kman:

"Bashing" is the term frequently used in these forums to denote modifying an existing design. I certainly didn't take your comments to be derogatory to the plane.
dbc is offline Find More Posts by dbc
Old Dec 07, 2011, 11:11 AM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
4,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post
kman:

"Bashing" is the term frequently used in these forums to denote modifying an existing design. I certainly didn't take your comments to be derogatory to the plane.
That's a new one for me. Thanks for filling me in

KMan
kman24 is offline Find More Posts by kman24
Old Dec 07, 2011, 05:01 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
667 Posts
Quote:
It pays to read through this entire thread. I posted these links on page 13.

Replacement blue motor:

Shaft kit:

Trust me I ready everything. I ordered another motor and I also ordered 5 shafts but not from grayson, as they were out of stock
Old Dec 07, 2011, 08:46 PM
Blade mSR freak
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
Stay on the pavement, and get some speed before you take off, and you won't be doing many motor or shaft replacements.
Old Dec 07, 2011, 10:09 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
667 Posts
Quote:
Stay on the pavement, and get some speed before you take off, and you won't be doing many motor or shaft replacements.
I kinda figured that but there are only grass field where I fly so I just have to work with what I have. I did find a dirt path that I'm gonna clear for a runway though
Old Dec 08, 2011, 12:28 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
667 Posts
I got the shaft out of the motor using a vice grip. I'll install the new shaft and let you guys know how it goes.

Old Dec 09, 2011, 06:52 AM
Blade mSR freak
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by devgrp View Post
I kinda figured that but there are only grass field where I fly so I just have to work with what I have. I did find a dirt path that I'm gonna clear for a runway though
Remove wheel pants... maybe get bigger diameter wheels...
Old Dec 19, 2011, 04:17 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3 Posts
Hi Guys, UPS just dropped off my new Skytrainer today, and upon inspection, realized the last two inches on the tail of the fuselage had snapped off. (not surprised by this at all). What's the best method to repair this. When I fit the piece back on, you can't even tell it is broke, but what glue would hold this together? I know there is glue that comes with the plane, but I heard it takes forever to dry. Maybe 5 minute epoxy?
tiddy82 is offline Find More Posts by tiddy82
Old Dec 19, 2011, 07:04 PM
Blade mSR freak
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
Mine was broke on delivery in the same manner.

White Gorilla Glue works good. It expands as it sets up, so it's important to mash it together after a couple minutes, and put a piece of tape on each side to keep it aligned and held together.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 11:58 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
667 Posts
Lost my Cessna this morning. It was the first flight since I broke the shaft. I've been flying my Kinetic. Went to the local park and winds were about 10mph. I taxied around to make sure everything was ok. Good thing I did because the 2 back wheels fell off because the nuts came loose. (I took the pants off)

I hand launched it and gave it some up elevator and it took off. The trim was spot on but it needed a little down elevator. Fly around high up for about 5 mins. On the leg down wind I didnt realize how close to tree line I was, as I began to turn, I heard a crack and saw my plane stop lol. The wing and the motor shaft broke. Everything else looked intact. Hopefully the wind will blow it down so I can go retrieve it
Old Dec 23, 2011, 12:30 PM
Huge member!
Pawtucket R.I.
Joined May 2008
479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiddy82 View Post
Hi Guys, UPS just dropped off my new Skytrainer today, and upon inspection, realized the last two inches on the tail of the fuselage had snapped off. (not surprised by this at all). What's the best method to repair this. When I fit the piece back on, you can't even tell it is broke, but what glue would hold this together? I know there is glue that comes with the plane, but I heard it takes forever to dry. Maybe 5 minute epoxy?
SAme here,the glue it comes with is fine,its contact cement so apply it to one piece squeze it together pull it apart and wait 10 min. when you reattach it it sticks together quite good,it just needs the overnight to fully set. If you just stick the piece on it will never dry.Brutus
BRUTUS2238 is offline Find More Posts by BRUTUS2238
Old Dec 23, 2011, 07:17 PM
Joined Sep 2011
10 Posts
If you guys are looking for replacement motor shafts, I found some here:

http://www.rchotdeals.com/Products/r...or/tpmsft.html
bmcpherson69 is offline Find More Posts by bmcpherson69