Old Jan 23, 2016, 12:02 AM
Find More Posts by marmalade1
United States, IL, Wheaton
Joined Sep 2013
501 Posts
Discussion
Inexpensive Telemetry Transmitter

I haven't seen a review of a newly released product here so I thought I'd introduce it myself.

Value Hobby (Addison IL based) recently started stocking a line or Tx/Rx by a Chinese company called BER. They have a few surface systems beginning at just $19.99 for tx/rx. Expecting to pay much more I looked at their top model, a telemetry capable and ready 3Ch system for just $50 for tx/rx/telemetry hub and sensors for speed, rx battery voltage and temperature.

For $50 I was keen to try it out.

The packaging was attractive and simple, with very few words including a very prominent typo.

The plastic is to be honest, cheap feeling, but I'm not complaining. The wheel is foam coated and has a keen return spring. The buttons have a poor fit and finish below the illuminated LCD screen. The screen is clear and easy to read. The menu is familiar to anyone who's used the Turnigy 3XS type systems. Very easy to navigate. Trim and even dual rates are instantly accessed without navigating a menu.

I didn't read the manual until I'd finished setting it up. It's that easy.
Plug it in, seemed to bind without me really trying to do anything; just turned it on and pressed the only button on the rx. Just easy.

The telemetry module is separate and is a similar size as the rx.

The temp sensor is a themocouple. Actually two were provided, one slightly thicker gauge wire. No indication of indications or contraindications of each. I used the thin one as I didn't notice the thicker one until after I'd installed the rest. Temp readouts are on the screen all the time and you can set max temp alarms and it records max temp for you. To reset, turn off/on, Current temp always displayed. Temperatures are in Celsius.

The 'speed' sensor is really just an optical system and will work with the light through the spokes of wheels. I have no interest in the RPM (not actual speed) of my wheels. A GPS system would've been far more appealing, but for $50 I'm not complaining. The small plastic reader is supposed to be zip-tied to the wishbones. I feel confident that few will ever be used as such.

The tx/rx battery voltage is always visible on the home screen and the readout is fairly well calibrated compared to my $4 volt meter. Accuracy can't be guaranteed when you use the cheapest voltmeter on Earth to measure the cheapest telemetry volt meter on Earth. But at least they are consistent.

The tx comes with a battery tray to accept 4x AA batteries. Eneloopes are the obvious choice for any tx in my opinion, but if you want to worry about fires, feel free to pop in a LiPo for... identical performance. LiFe also works if you're ok with it rattling around in the large bay.

Pictures attached, but the VH website has better ones, click below:

http://www.valuehobby.com/radio-syst.../ber-trc1.html

I'll use it soon and report on range etc. But so far, it has been as simple as can be. I've added 20% expo (negative) to steering. And added a swift ABS to my brake for fun. Manual not really needed for this returnee to RC buggies. No issues.

Hope this is interesting and useful to some.

PD
marmalade1 is online now Find More Posts by marmalade1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2016, 08:09 AM
Find More Posts by txt killer
Joined Apr 2008
2,025 Posts
I have the Hitec lynx 4s
http://hitecrcd.com/products/surface...system/product
I needed 4 channels and Fail Safe. The sensors GPS and Voltage are built in to the rx which saves space. Tons of feature's and I have already done firmware updates and added music and sounds to my radio.
txt killer is offline Find More Posts by txt killer
Old Jan 23, 2016, 10:07 AM
Find More Posts by bill_delong
Did I make the A Main?
Austin,TX
Joined Mar 2009
2,382 Posts
I love the RPM sensor, I've been using it as poor man's dyno lately, more info on the system here:
http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho....php?p=2138842
bill_delong is offline Find More Posts by bill_delong
Old Jan 23, 2016, 11:22 AM
Joined Sep 2013
501 Posts
How? Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_delong View Post
I love the RPM sensor, I've been using it as poor man's dyno lately, more info on the system here:
http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho....php?p=2138842

I'm glad you like the RPM sensor. Is is useful, or just interesting?
Old Jan 23, 2016, 11:30 AM
Joined Apr 2008
2,025 Posts
GPS is way better for setting the speed.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 11:31 AM
Joined Sep 2013
501 Posts
So, a brief before work run this chilly AM revealed a very good effective range even with my antenna only a just poking above the shell/engine block. Failsafe worked easily. No issues.

The temp sensor was interesting. Despite smoke at full throttle it was reading (a peak) of 150C which is about 302F. Yes, I know. Hot. The average was closer to 135C (275F). But I wonder if the fact I've got the thermocouple tucked into the lowermost cooling fins around the combustion chamber (vs. in the upper cooling fin block) makes a difference. The smoke could be partly due to the low temperature weather, after all combustion does produce water vapor and exhaust is always more visible in cold air.

The outside temperature was about freezing and I've got a short section of a childs sock on the lower half of the engine/cooling fins to help keep the temp up; most of the large cooling fin block is open. I'll try it later without the sock which will allow better cooling to the combustion chamber walls and therefore the thermocouple itself. I expect my temperatures will then be about ideal. We will see.

I've attached a photo of my newly styled OFNA LX-1 Ultra to show not just how great it now looks, but also how the cooling fins are largely unobstructed.

More data to follow.

PD.
Last edited by marmalade1; Jan 23, 2016 at 11:37 AM. Reason: More info.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 12:38 PM
Did I make the A Main?
Austin,TX
Joined Mar 2009
2,382 Posts
With the RPM sensor, I can shim and tune/compare various motors of the same turn within the same "test station" to determine what the optimal mechanical timing setting is for a given motor. Using the TRC1 is a lot cheaper than one of these:
http://www.mcpappyracing.com/dyno.php

All I need is a donor car to get my RPM readings and viola... very similar concept to this here:
http://www.rccartips.com/rc-car-dyno-cheap.htm

If you need to calculate speed, you need to measure the circumference of the wheel being counted for rpm, accounting for tire ballooning and that should give you a fairly accurate estimate by doing the math... but yes, a GPS will be far easier for measuring speed. RPM is more important for testing purposes.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 02:09 PM
Joined Apr 2008
2,025 Posts
I just reviewed the manual. WOW Real basic. No model naming, no assignable switches, sound is only beep beep. But I guess for the price it is a real basic radio. Not something I would buy .
Old Jan 23, 2016, 09:46 PM
Joined Sep 2013
501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by txt killer View Post
I just reviewed the manual. WOW Real basic. No model naming, no assignable switches, sound is only beep beep. But I guess for the price it is a real basic radio. Not something I would buy .
Perhaps over time the features you mentioned will appeal, but to me me its got a good deal more to offer than I need or indeed even imagined possible before I got back into buggies 6 months ago after a 25 year break.

PD
Old Jan 24, 2016, 07:49 AM
Joined Apr 2008
2,025 Posts
Unfortunately The model memory is not enough for me. I need at least 30 models and naming. There was no mixing and I need more channels. I didn't care for the extra telemetry box. There isn't much room on 1/10 or 1/8 scale to put it. It's a good starter radio for a beginner.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 09:59 PM
Joined Sep 2013
501 Posts
Oddly, I would've been happy with my old Turning 3xs, except that I lost the battery tray cover. Elastic bands and a balsa strip wasn't pleasing.

Also, the antenna was superglued on a few times.

So I was looking for a cheap system with a built-in antenna and ideally a battery tray door that stays put. This system offers that and more for less than I expected.

So far, so good.

PD
Old Jan 24, 2016, 10:53 PM
Did I make the A Main?
Austin,TX
Joined Mar 2009
2,382 Posts
If telemetry isn't super important, and other features such as an integrated gyro are more important, then I'd highly recommend Radiolink:
http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=217514

I've also reviewed the 3XS and once thought it was the best budget radio system... until Radiolink came along:
http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=179417
Old Jan 25, 2016, 08:03 AM
Joined Apr 2008
2,025 Posts
My first radio was a Hite 2px and my last radio is a Lynx 4s. I have become accustom to this brand for one reason that it can be converted to left hand and is reasonably priced.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 10:37 PM
Joined Sep 2013
501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_delong View Post
If telemetry isn't super important, and other features such as an integrated gyro are more important, then I'd highly recommend Radiolink:
http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=217514

I've also reviewed the 3XS and once thought it was the best budget radio system... until Radiolink came along:
http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=179417
How about that. Yours is the review I first read when I got the radio. I was relieved it was fairly good for basic use.

The antenna just broke off one too many times. My 2 yr old likes to grab it by the antenna. (I keep my Taranis out of reach). I think my son also had a hand in removing the battery tray cover and hiding it. Hence, new tx.

I'm interested in seeing running temperatures and in seeing the LiFe rx battery voltage drop before it's useless.

For me, this tx is close to ideal.

Thanks for your previous reviews Bill!

PD
Old Jan 27, 2016, 08:36 AM
Did I make the A Main?
Austin,TX
Joined Mar 2009
2,382 Posts
thanks for the feedback, and kind words, much appreciated