Old Jan 26, 2016, 07:49 AM
Find More Posts by DJI27
Open the bay doors... HAL
United States, OH, Mentor
Joined Jun 2013
1,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkf94025 View Post
It's been a couple years since I married my 14SG to my P2, but I'm wondering if you need to run the Assistant software on the P2, after binding it with the radio, and calibrating the sticks. If you don't get full range of both sticks, the motor start sequence will never be reached.

Kelly
Looking for advice on where to start the binding process you mention above...

I've got a P1.1.1 and will replacing the DJI Rx with a Futaba R7008SB Rx.

Any good YouTube videos or online threads that you can recommend?
DJI27 is offline Find More Posts by DJI27
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2016, 08:22 AM
Find More Posts by Witterings
Beware Of The Shills !!!
Chichester Sussex
Joined Aug 2007
2,912 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJI27 View Post
I'll be trying something similar on an old Phantom P1.1.1 that's uses a Naza M V2 f/c.

What Rx are you using on the hex?

Did you run into any problems when binding the 14SG to the hex?
It's the one that came with the TX and the same as mentioned in your next post.
You'll need to decide what mode you want to use the TX in 1st and if you're setting it up for S-Bus or not, it's 1 1/2 yrs since I've done it so can't give you any pointers I'm afraid but just worked through the manual to do it.
Witterings is offline Find More Posts by Witterings
Old Jan 27, 2016, 06:53 AM
Find More Posts by DJI27
Open the bay doors... HAL
United States, OH, Mentor
Joined Jun 2013
1,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witterings View Post
It's the one that came with the TX and the same as mentioned in your next post.
You'll need to decide what mode you want to use the TX in 1st and if you're setting it up for S-Bus or not, it's 1 1/2 yrs since I've done it so can't give you any pointers I'm afraid but just worked through the manual to do it.
Ok.... thanks

After my last post to you, I tried Google and found some links/posts that might help me.

During my search I also found this Futaba video that touches on some of the Dual Rate/Expo settings that might help you.

Futaba 14SG Radio Programming Tips (22 min 41 sec)

P.S. The Dual Rate/Expo tip is somewhere near the 13 minute point of the video.
DJI27 is offline Find More Posts by DJI27
Old Jan 27, 2016, 10:17 AM
Find More Posts by Witterings
Beware Of The Shills !!!
Chichester Sussex
Joined Aug 2007
2,912 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJI27 View Post
Ok.... thanks

After my last post to you, I tried Google and found some links/posts that might help me.

During my search I also found this Futaba video that touches on some of the Dual Rate/Expo settings that might help you.

Futaba 14SG Radio Programming Tips (22 min 41 sec)

P.S. The Dual Rate/Expo tip is somewhere near the 13 minute point of the video.
Cheers for that, I'll have a look through later although I'm 95% sure it's because the Naza needs to see 100% input with both sticks before it fires up the motors.

It's also made me realise on an estate agents job i went to do recently with my quad it just wouldn't start and I ended up coming home and it worked the second I'd driven all the way back ..... I think it was for the exact same reason
Witterings is offline Find More Posts by Witterings
Old Feb 11, 2016, 11:27 PM
Find More Posts by dpilot007
A buddy system for my wallet??
United States, ID, Idaho Falls
Joined Apr 2009
59 Posts
Updating Firmware

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmHolt View Post
I appreciate your comments but my intention is to keep things simple. By updating the reference section I ensure that anyone referring to it will be presented with screen-shots and descriptions that reflect the current state of the radio. Those wishing to identify the changes to the radio’s software introduced at each update can easily refer to Futaba’s documentation.

The overwhelming feedback I receive from readers is that they are delighted that, unlike Futaba’s official manual, the book is kept up to date. That this is provided at no additional cost is seen as a bonus.
Malcom, do you cover in your book how to update the software on our radios?

Thanks,
~Don
dpilot007 is offline Find More Posts by dpilot007
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2016, 02:58 AM
Find More Posts by MalcolmHolt
Brighton UK
Joined Dec 2010
534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpilot007 View Post
Malcom, do you cover in your book how to update the software on our radios?

Thanks,
~Don
No, the book is concerned solely with programming. In the introduction I refer the reader to Futaba's own documentation for all matters relating to installation and maintenance.

All you need to do is follow the instructions provided by Futaba with the update. One thing that seems to confuse people is that the downloaded files are not visible on the SD card. Your PC cannot read them without a File Utility. This doesn't matter. You don't need the File Utility or to see the files. Just put the SD card in the transmitter and follow Futaba's instructions. The transmitter will recognise the files and do the upgrade.

MalcolmHolt is offline Find More Posts by MalcolmHolt
Old Feb 12, 2016, 02:56 PM
Find More Posts by ivanc
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
11,244 Posts
Quote:
No, the book is concerned solely with programming. In the introduction I refer the reader to Futaba's own documentation for all matters relating to installation and maintenance.

All you need to do is follow the instructions provided by Futaba with the update. One thing that seems to confuse people is that the downloaded files are not visible on the SD card. Your PC cannot read them without a File Utility. This doesn't matter. You don't need the File Utility or to see the files. Just put the SD card in the transmitter and follow Futaba's instructions. The transmitter will recognise the files and do the upgrade.
But FIRST plug the SD card into the transmitter, turn it on and wait for it to prepare the SD card in its own format. Then turn off the transmitter, remove the card, install in a PC card reader and follow the instructions from Futaba.

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
Old Feb 15, 2016, 05:00 AM
Find More Posts by Ratus
Joined Aug 2013
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercollider View Post
Thank you Malcolm, your book is awesome! Its well thought of and organized. I have programmed a landing gear door sequence using your method but modified a little to keep the door open when the gear is down. I have freed up some fuselage space too by using the radio instead of sequencer boxes. Thanks again.

http://youtu.be/7hbU4Wi2-Go
Hello everyone,
I'd do the same programming on my T14 SG unfortunately I can not get the same result. Is someone could explain to me in detail the different thing to do?
Ratus is offline Find More Posts by Ratus
Old Feb 15, 2016, 06:21 AM
Find More Posts by WBFAir
United States, CT, Stamford
Joined Jan 2007
1,705 Posts
Hello all

Have had a 14SG for sometime now an so although I often get notifications for this thread I don't read every one.

But checking in here now I am reading about a book on the 14SG ???

It sounds very interesting an was just wondering if someone could reply with a link so that I could check that out?

Thanks greatly
WBFAir is offline Find More Posts by WBFAir
Old Feb 15, 2016, 06:28 AM
Find More Posts by DougV
United States, FL, Miramar
Joined Dec 2007
1,882 Posts
Here you go:
http://www.amazon.com/Futaba-14SG-Pr.../dp/B00BMM9J7A

Doug
DougV is online now Find More Posts by DougV
Old Feb 15, 2016, 08:54 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,705 Posts
Thanks for the link Doug.

In looking over the book an I mean no offense by this, but doesn't really seem to be much in there for helicopters.

Am sure its a great help for plane people, but seeing as I don't fly those, doesn't seem there would be much there for me.

Might be great if the author would consider the same thing but of a Helo version as there really is a lot there just for those that probably most do not know how to utilize.

Thanks greatly for the link though, will be sure to keep it if I ever have the need.
Last edited by WBFAir; Feb 15, 2016 at 09:06 AM.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 09:54 AM
Find More Posts by MalcolmHolt
Brighton UK
Joined Dec 2010
534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBFAir View Post
Thanks for the link Doug.

In looking over the book an I mean no offense by this, but doesn't really seem to be much in there for helicopters.

Am sure its a great help for plane people, but seeing as I don't fly those, doesn't seem there would be much there for me.

Might be great if the author would consider the same thing but of a Helo version as there really is a lot there just for those that probably most do not know how to utilize.

Thanks greatly for the link though, will be sure to keep it if I ever have the need.
As the title clearly states, the book is concerned solely with fixed wing aircraft. I do not fly helicopters or multi-rotors so am not competent to write a heli version. Sorry.
MalcolmHolt is offline Find More Posts by MalcolmHolt
Old Feb 15, 2016, 12:41 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,705 Posts
Quote:
As the title clearly states, the book is concerned solely with fixed wing aircraft. I do not fly helicopters or multi-rotors so am not competent to write a heli version. Sorry.
Yeah, np an not trying to saying anything bad, just was pointing out why although I asked about it, I then found it wasn't for me. Also thought a suggest of one for helos was worth mentioning. Anyway, all good on my side an hope the same on others.

Thanks
Old Feb 16, 2016, 07:26 AM
Find More Posts by etherbatxx
Joined Dec 2015
14 Posts
I fly heli's and found the book to be exceptionally useful. Futaba can be a different mindset and a book like this can help open the eyes.
etherbatxx is offline Find More Posts by etherbatxx
Old Feb 16, 2016, 07:52 AM
Find More Posts by ivanc
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
11,244 Posts
The three level structure (controls -> functions -> channels) of the firmware is the same for all aircraft types - planes, helis, gliders and multicopters. If you get how that part works understanding the mixing is a lot easier. Then there are the special linkage features including telemetry which in their majority are also the same across the different aircraft platforms.

BTW the controls -> functions -> channels structure is also used in the higher class Futaba transmitters like the 18SZ and 18MZ as well as in the older 8FG, 12FG, 12Z and 14MZ.

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc