New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 23, 2015, 05:02 PM
Find More Posts by airfoil'd
Joined Feb 2008
1,513 Posts
Turboparker, in the picture of your modified battery slot, do the black marks by the fuselage denote your neutral point? Do you have a measurement I could reference?

Also, which connector is being used between the board and the motor? And is the same connector used on all the eflite/HH brushless micros?
airfoil'd is online now Find More Posts by airfoil'd
Last edited by airfoil'd; Dec 23, 2015 at 05:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2015, 06:22 PM
Find More Posts by turboparker
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jul 2009
14,621 Posts
Airfoil'd,

The marks on the wing are at the factory-recommended CG starting point (58mm aft from the LE at the root) - as shown on page 10 in the manual. My MiG exhibits nearly neutral behavior with the CG at that spot.

AntiArf,

Yeah, some people have gone with external ESCs, etc., in order to run 3s reliably in the 2s UMX planes. However, most of the prop-planes handle 3s without mods. My 3 Beast 3Ds & 2 Sbach 3Ds all handle 3s just fine without mods.

I have no desire to do any major 3s mods to my MiG, as the stock motor's bearings tend to be fairly short-lived at the crazy RPM it turns on 3s.

Besides - if I want to fly something fast, I have larger-scale glow-powered planes that can easily top 100 MPH. They're A LOT easier to see at those speeds, and they can fly for ~15 minutes on a tank of fuel.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
Old Dec 23, 2015, 06:39 PM
Find More Posts by airfoil'd
Joined Feb 2008
1,513 Posts
Thanks for clarifying. I was under the impression that you had identified the sweet spot differently than they did. Now I know to just hit it, not move it. I'm doing up another mig with a slightly different components/layout. This helps a lot.
airfoil'd is online now Find More Posts by airfoil'd
Old Dec 23, 2015, 07:07 PM
Find More Posts by turboparker
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jul 2009
14,621 Posts
No prob! I'm happy to help whenever/wherever I can.

Yeah - just shoot for 58mm to start with. If needed, then move the pack forward or aft a couple mm at a time until she behaves nearly neutrally during the inverted flight test.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
Old Dec 29, 2015, 06:46 PM
Find More Posts by tracknoob
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
6,432 Posts
Well, I had the ol' Mig sitting around waiting for some fix-ups.... I had previously tried it out on 3S and after a short time, the ESC burped and wouldn't run any more, so I put aside an external 10A ESC for it....

Tonite I wired it up, and everything looks good, so tomorrow the ol' Mig should be running on 3S 180mah Babblebatts! I went ahead and left my fresh 'take off' fan unit in a handy spot, since this Mig's unit already has a lot of miles on it, so I suspect that while the new external ESC will be up to the job, the motor bearings might not be long for this world. If not, then it get's a replacement EDF, and we'll try it that way! My Habu and the F16 are happy to ingest 3S (along with my P3 and Pitts, too!) so I guess I got kind of spoiled.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Dec 31, 2015, 08:27 PM
Find More Posts by Peter Phillipps
Slow is the go!
Australia, Lord Howe Island
Joined Dec 2004
507 Posts
New clothes!?

My little Mig has had a tough life, nosed in twice and managed to land in the ocean was well,
after replacing the wing servos and motor decided she needed a fresher look, found these
markings on a Mig17, yeah not accurate but she’s a looker now!

Peter Phillipps is offline Find More Posts by Peter Phillipps
Old Dec 31, 2015, 09:59 PM
Find More Posts by tracknoob
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
6,432 Posts
That's a fun look!

tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Jan 02, 2016, 08:43 PM
Find More Posts by shepflyr
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Aug 2011
1,138 Posts
I can't believe it! I JUST can't believe it!
This plane is AWESOME!!! Finally got some clear weather with light winds to maiden her in. It was one of the easiest maiden flights I've ever had!

I put the Babbelbatt 240 where she'd balance at 58mm CG. Took 3 clicks down ele in the first 6 seconds of flight, and was a dream flight after that.

She did not look anywhere near as fast in the air as she does in the videos! Yeah, I did a short WOT run, but mostly explored her flight envelope.
Flew lazy circles and figure 8's at 1/2 throttle. Sweet loop with plenty of power and beautiful axial rolls. And her landing was impeccably smooth (sans gear on grass).

Ya'll certainly were right! SO glad I found one. Am now appropriately kicking myself for not getting into the awesome EDF/MiG world sooner!

Thanks, everybody!
Tom
shepflyr is offline Find More Posts by shepflyr
Last edited by shepflyr; Jan 02, 2016 at 08:53 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2016, 08:55 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,138 Posts
Here are 3 pics from her maiden flight.
Enjoy!

Tom
Old Jan 03, 2016, 07:21 AM
Find More Posts by heli-headcase
Multifaceted Heli Nut
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Oct 2004
1,357 Posts
Yes, it makes you wonder why Horizon discontinued the model. I find it delightful to fly and even more fun to chase one with my micro F-86 Sabrejet
heli-headcase is online now Find More Posts by heli-headcase
Old Jan 05, 2016, 05:03 PM
Find More Posts by rcoconut
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,958 Posts
Congrats, she was my first EDF & I have a blast with her!

I really thought an F-86 was going to be next??
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Jan 06, 2016, 05:38 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
Congrats, she was my first EDF & I have a blast with her!

I really thought an F-86 was going to be next??
Great idea!

But the year's just starting...hopefully one's in the works. Other RC companies have 'em, so maybe HH will soon, too.
My "Lil Miggie" needs a comparable adversary to do mock air battles with!

Tom
Old Jan 09, 2016, 07:20 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,138 Posts
Forgive the excitement of a pilot who's new to EDFs, but I just can't stop raving about this Lil Miggie!

When I'm flying it, it just doesn't seem as fast as it looks in the videos. So easy to control and does not disappear in the sky like I thought it would.

Flew it again today...cloudy...windy...somewhat unstable air that bounced my parkflyers Corsair, Stryker F-27Q, and my buddy's UMX Pitts around. The Mig did great! Cut through it and was a blast to fly. Landing sans gear on grass was again a simple "slow down, flare, n plop" non-event.

W:W!!

Tom
Last edited by shepflyr; Jan 10, 2016 at 03:45 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 03:28 AM
Find More Posts by AntiArf
Joined Feb 2013
1,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Airfoil'd,

The marks on the wing are at the factory-recommended CG starting point (58mm aft from the LE at the root) - as shown on page 10 in the manual. My MiG exhibits nearly neutral behavior with the CG at that spot.

AntiArf,

Yeah, some people have gone with external ESCs, etc., in order to run 3s reliably in the 2s UMX planes. However, most of the prop-planes handle 3s without mods. My 3 Beast 3Ds & 2 Sbach 3Ds all handle 3s just fine without mods.

I have no desire to do any major 3s mods to my MiG, as the stock motor's bearings tend to be fairly short-lived at the crazy RPM it turns on 3s.

Besides - if I want to fly something fast, I have larger-scale glow-powered planes that can easily top 100 MPH. They're A LOT easier to see at those speeds, and they can fly for ~15 minutes on a tank of fuel.

Joel
The main point of what I mentioned was the use of the diode drop with external ESCs, since the micro linear servos don't hold up well on 5V. Even with the diode drop it's still on the high end, but they seem to hold up.

I mentioned it since you posted "my MiG's ESC doesn't like 3s". Those other issues/apps hadn't been mentioned.
AntiArf is offline Find More Posts by AntiArf