Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Jul 12, 2016, 09:31 PM
Find More Posts by achiii
United States, NH, Lebanon
Joined May 2012
434 Posts
Build Log
Ken Willard Pageboy for 50+ Buildoff

As a follow up to building the mini mambo I finished a while ago, I wanted to build something else small, vintage, and rudder-only to keep messing with the two controllaire TXs I converted to 2.4. I also like the little Ken Willard Drake my dad has, so I grabbed a short kit for a Ken Willard Pageboy from Rubbernecker here on RCGroups. This is a quick build, but I realized it would count for the 50+ build-off, so I decided to put up a build log.

Ive just had time for a few minutes here and there over the last few weeks, but have already got it looking like a plane.

This was published in 1963 in Model Airplane News, and plans are available on outerzone: http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=358

Just a bit left to do and then Ill add a little tissue covering. I still need to order a few parts, though, to finish it.
achiii is offline Find More Posts by achiii
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2016, 11:56 PM
Find More Posts by Sundancer
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
7,595 Posts
You can't go wrong with a Willard design! I've posted your entry and link to the build off thread.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
Old Jul 13, 2016, 08:31 AM
Find More Posts by JeffMac
I'd rather be flying.....
United States, IA, Story City
Joined Oct 2013
1,730 Posts
I should build one of these, from Ken Willard it will be a good one like SD says

best regards,

jeff
JeffMac is offline Find More Posts by JeffMac
Old Jul 13, 2016, 01:31 PM
Find More Posts by mlbco
Palo Alto, California, United States
Joined Jan 2003
1,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
You can't go wrong with a Willard design! I've posted your entry and link to the build off thread.
Unless you rubber band the wing on backwards! Make sure to get that fixed before you fly

Steve
mlbco is offline Find More Posts by mlbco
Old Jul 13, 2016, 01:49 PM
Joined May 2012
434 Posts
Yup, It is rubber banded on backwards. Oops! I strapped it on to take a picture and post before going to bed and clearly wasn't paying much attention. I will be less likely to make that mistake when the wing has a little color on it.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 02:17 PM
Find More Posts by dgliderguy
Where's the lift?
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined Mar 2001
3,378 Posts
We're having some good laughs over on the Strange Craigslist Ads thread with all the backward wings in the ad pics. Amazing how many landlubbers don't know which way the wing goes...!

BTW, achiii, is this one laser-cut parts?
dgliderguy is online now Find More Posts by dgliderguy
Old Jul 13, 2016, 02:53 PM
Joined May 2012
434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgliderguy View Post
We're having some good laughs over on the Strange Craigslist Ads thread with all the backward wings in the ad pics. Amazing how many landlubbers don't know which way the wing goes...!

BTW, achiii, is this one laser-cut parts?
Nice to be in good company

It is a laser cut short kit. Rubbernecker was offering them for 18$ shipped:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2594193
Old Jul 14, 2016, 01:51 PM
Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
3,788 Posts
Looks nice. Are you going with a "wet engine"?
JohnAV8R is online now Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Jul 20, 2016, 09:08 PM
Joined May 2012
434 Posts
JohnAV8R, nah, I want it to be quick and easy to get it in the air. So its going electric.

Made a little progress. Added a little doculam on the wing center to protect the wing from the rubber bands and then covered the wing with some tissue I had from my mambo. And I got the electrics installed. I have a little more trim to add, but she should be ready to go soon. Check out a little video of testing the single channel radio. I want to fly this with my converted Mule s/c tx, but I will likely maiden it and trim it with a proportional tx.

Pageboy radio test (0 min 39 sec)
Old Jul 21, 2016, 09:27 AM
Find More Posts by dgliderguy
Where's the lift?
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined Mar 2001
3,378 Posts
This is so cool!

My first radio was an MRC rudder-only escapement radio, in a Midwest Lil' Tri-Squire. It had a cheap plastic tranny case, and worked only some of the time. Your Mule radio is very classy! With throttle-up, too. Nice.

The minimalist appeal of this model brings back good memories! And all that sheet balsa makes it even more appealing. Can't wait to see the vids when you get it up in the air.
dgliderguy is online now Find More Posts by dgliderguy
Old Jul 21, 2016, 11:44 AM
Joined May 2012
434 Posts
Thanks Dgliderguy.

It is a very simple model, and since I suspect I will have many not-too-perfect landings using the s/c tx (or maybe just 1!), I am not going to spend too much time making it pretty (I could have gotten the tissue on the wing to be cleaner, for instance). While I have some wheels to go on it, I think I may just leave it without wheels and put some extra doculam on the belly. I will be landing it exclusively on grass anyway.

I would be remiss, if I failed to mention that the Mule was converted using a Frsky 2.4 DIY module and the really excellent encoders being built by Phil_G over at Singlechannel.co.uk

The encoder gives you the option of quick blip throttle (and you can select the % of the throttle in the middle position from 10-70%), a kick up elevator (3 press) if you have an elevator, and high and low travel (among other things). It is really neat and it was exceedingly straightforward to setup.

I am not old enough to have flown s/c before, but have been having a great time messing with returning these transmitters to "modern" functionality. Both of my controllaires are are my fathers, and had been sitting around his house gathering dust for as long as I can remember.
Old Yesterday, 06:44 AM
Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
4,816 Posts
Great stuff!

One thing (and it probably won't matter to you) is that (apparently) the normal convention was one press for right, two for left - I notice you have yours set up in the opposite manner. As I said, that's absolutely fine if you are the only one who will ever fly it and you'll never fly anyone else's S/C model, but could cause some confusion if you did.

Like you, I'd never flown on the button before - make sure you've got plenty of space! Which reminds me, I must begin repairing the Topsy soon
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Yesterday, 09:48 AM
Joined May 2012
434 Posts
Oh right (no pun intended)! Thanks Colonel Blink. I had previously had the mule bound to a different plane to test it and had reversed the throw for that one (because didn't s/c transmitters always have servo reversing?). Its true that only I will be flying it and will never fly anyone else's, but I may fly more than one model, and its gonna get me in trouble if I don't keep it consistent.
Last edited by achiii; Yesterday at 12:56 PM.
Old Today, 01:44 PM
Joined May 2012
434 Posts
Maiden success!

Well, as I said, I did not do a ton of finishing to make it pretty as I remain unsure of what the lifespan of this model will be. I just added a little tissue trim to the fuselage and finished some little bits and then took it to the field this morning. It was fairly windy and gusty, and I suspected it might be too windy for this little guy, but I also figured I could wander out to the high grass and I could ditch it in the grass as needed.

But it flew great! Others had reported control authority issues with the rudder as called for in the plans, but I went ahead and used the original rudder as cut in the short kit and it was fine. I wa flying with a 2s battery and had way more power than needed.

The plane was very responsive and I had no trouble guiding it around with the rudder and the throttle. It was good that I had practice with my bigger rudder-only mini mambo. I got a nice flight of several minutes.

I was flying it with proportional control and would have been hard pressed to fly it successfully with the push-button mule. First, the gusty wind was fine with proportional response but I don't think i could have been fast enough with no previous practice for push button control. Second, I probably need a little more down thrust. At full throttle it just wanted to zoom straight up. I mostly flew at about 40% but was also dynamically balancing throttle as well as the rudder as I went upwind and downwind. I will have to do some trimming before I try the mule and almost certainly try it on a calmer day
Old Today, 03:34 PM
Find More Posts by Sundancer
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
7,595 Posts
Nice one achiii, glad the Pageboy flies OK. I'll post it as finished and flown. Very wise to get it well sorted before trying the button Tx.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer