HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:56 PM
Team Compass/KBDD Team Pilot
Joined Mar 2005
3,317 Posts
" Like I never got a Wen-mac to run, yet I read about people winning Nostalgia 1/2A FF with them. "

I always find this interesting, also saw it a lot in person.

If you tried to start them on Cox fuel, it was more difficult (IMHO). They were much easier to start on Testors fuel (I assume that the Wen Mac fuel was the same as the later Testors, after Testors purchased Wen Mac?).

They also never made any mention in the instructions of pressurizing the fuel tank by squirting fuel in and hold the vent closed to force fuel into the fuel line and venturi, or choking the engines to draw the fuel in that way.

Trying to start one with an empty fuel line did not work too well.

The Fly'ems came with several different motors, the last being reed valve with a regular needle valve. These started and ran pretty well, too.
Ah Clem is offline Find More Posts by Ah Clem
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:36 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,097 Posts
The only way I got that Wen-MAc to run was on Fox Blast (40% Nitro?), an old Walker Balloon tank, and had to use a 7-3 wood prop. It took a lot of flipping and playing with the needle valve, but when it finally started and I got it dialed in, it sounded like some Thermal Hoppers I'd heard. Then when the tank went dry, the engine freewheeled a couple times. Had 0 compression. At that time, I'd been trying to get it to run for about 8 years.
Funniest thing about Wen Mac I ever saw was at the Cleveland Air Show about 15 years ago. A group from I think the Akron Ohio area was working at restoring an old SBD. They had the fuse on a flat bed trailer. There was an old W-M mounted to the firewall. I remarked to one of the folks that that thing might be a little underpowered. He told me it'd be a LOT underpowered. Nobody he knew had ever got it to run.
50+AirYears is offline Find More Posts by 50+AirYears
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:05 PM
Joined Mar 2005
3,317 Posts
They do run:

WenMac P-39 (1963 Vintage) (2 min 13 sec)

This is a early Wen Mac Airacobra with a Testors engine (equivalent to the Wen Mac Mk XIII). Very reliable.

This one is running on Glow Plug Boy fuel with some starting fluid added (ether). It was much harder to start without the additive.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 04:09 AM
Psalm 37:4
Litchfield Park, AZ.
Joined Jun 2006
202 Posts
Wow, you guys are flying these vintage planes.
I keep mine nailed to the wall looking pertty.
Got a nice collection of the large early model Testors Cosmic Winds. In fact, my flying model hobby started in 1975 with the Cosmic Wind. I still have that model and it's still in flying condition.
The plane flew great and the Mccoy 049 never skipped a beat. I did a mod to the plane back in the 70s by adding a larger fuel tank. That mod gave me 10 minute flights.
I'll post some photos if you want.
HawkHunter is offline Find More Posts by HawkHunter
Last edited by HawkHunter; Mar 02, 2013 at 04:34 AM.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 12:22 PM
Joined Mar 2005
3,317 Posts
HawkHunter,

I would very much like to see your photographs!

The Cosmic Wind is a good flyer. I agree with you about the very small fuel tank, though!

I got one flying a few weeks ago. As I have not located all of my parts, It has the later, dark orange fuselage and wing, Spirit of 76 (white) landing gear, and a Silver Wind (black) Spinner. I think (not sure) I should have enough parts to complete it in the correct colors.

There is another white version, called a "Sprite", I think, that had orange or red trim. These show up, occasionally on Ebay, but I have never seen one in person.

I have the Cosmic Wind, the P-39, the A-24, several Turbojets, and a few more plastic planes flying now. Nice to fly them again, after all these years.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 06:32 PM
Litchfield Park, AZ.
Joined Jun 2006
202 Posts
Testors Cosmic Winds

Here are a few for your viewing pleasure.
I have 16 large winds in all. All are new but two.
Some are not Cosmic Winds and some are the fly'em type.
The last Orange Wind is my first Cosmic Wind from 1975 with the tank mod.
Hawk
Old Mar 03, 2013, 02:36 AM
Litchfield Park, AZ.
Joined Jun 2006
202 Posts
Testors Cosmic Winds

I took a closer look at some of my collection tonight.
Does anyone know the year that Testors started selling the Fly'em planes?
On my paperwork, boxes and cards the dates range from 1976 to 1978.
The Fly'em planes are much smaller and of poorer quality than the larger early 1970s models. The P-51 and Sopwith Camel are my smallest and weigh 5.5 to 6.7 ozs. The small orange and silver winds weigh in at 8.7 ozs. and the large winds weigh at a big 15.2 ounces.
Even at this weight and with my larger fuel tank installed, the plane had good power. I could even fly high without the lines slacking, but loops and wingovers were out of the question.
Hawk
Old Mar 03, 2013, 09:44 AM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Feb 2013
92 Posts
My younger brother and I flew the Camel in 1977. I think he got it for a birthday present. I always remember the engine started real easy, and we were probably running dad's fox fuel. But, the plane would not loop. Hold full up and it would just fly high, but it was a lot of fun until it dead sticked into the flight box.....
pulserudder is offline Find More Posts by pulserudder
Old Mar 03, 2013, 12:44 PM
Joined Mar 2005
3,317 Posts
Great Collection!

I really like the NIB ones!

Do your Fly'ems have conventional needle valves, or the white, nylon mixture controls?
Old Mar 03, 2013, 03:21 PM
Litchfield Park, AZ.
Joined Jun 2006
202 Posts
Testors Cosmic Winds

That's good info on your Camel flight. Thanks for sharing that.
I never flew / tested any of the fly'em series planes, but have 5 of them.

There are some differences with the larger Cosmic Winds.
Some had a tail wheel and some didn't. Also the Orange Winds had 2 different shades of orange. One had a darker reddish color and the other was a brighter orange. The bright orange ones had a white engine firewall and the dark orange ones had a red firewall.

The Testors McCoy .049 had some differences too on the large models.
I noticed that the cylinder is different at the base and the air/fuel intake venturi is shorter. Also, the starting spring housing is larger too.
This engine was a real power house as 049s go. It was able to pull a 15 plus ounce plane through the air with ease.
I just weighed my Cox PT19 and it comes in at 10 ounces on the dot. I know the Cox Baby Bee pulled the PT19 real good, but I don't remember if the plane would loop.

The Fly'em needle valve is metal with a bit of fuel line and plastic cap over it.

I too have a patch work Wind. I need to find some landing gear to finish her up.

Cheers,
Hawk
Old Mar 03, 2013, 09:05 PM
Litchfield Park, AZ.
Joined Jun 2006
202 Posts
Testors P-63 King Cobra

Well I opened up my P-63 for a photo shoot. The plane has been in the box since the 1960s. The plastic wrap was in poor shape and had to go. At 14.6 ounces, the P-63 weighs less than the large Cosmic Winds. I found a date on the paperwork that read June of 1968. Here are the photos.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 09:44 PM
Joined Mar 2005
3,317 Posts
That is the later P-63 with the larger stabilizer (a beautiful example, by the way-very hard to find them with the chrome, in tact and complete with the parachute, drop tanks, etc).

"The bright orange ones had a white engine firewall and the dark orange ones had a red firewall."

I had two very early ones with the white tank-these were the brighter orange and the plastic was harder and more brittle (almost like a styrene, as opposed to the later polypropylene).

The darker orange ones that Testors supplied us with had the white tank. The Spirit of 76 had the red tank, the Silver Wind had the black tank. I suspect that the factory used whatever parts they had on hand to complete aircraft for sale, and played mix and match as they needed to

"The Testors McCoy .049 had some differences too on the large models.
I noticed that the cylinder is different at the base and the air/fuel intake venturi is shorter."

The ones with the shorter intake, in general, have the cylinder clocked so that the exhaust goes to the side, rather than dumping down the venturi. When I flew for Testors, we had some that had the short intake and the incorrectly clocked cylinder-these did not run nearly as well.

We were told that the factory increased the length of the venturi tube, so that they would not have to worry whether or not the cylinder was clocked correctly, decreasing the rejection rate. The later ones with the long venturi tube ran well.

The later cylinders are the same as the Fly'em cylinders-they are relieved for the Fly'em muffler. This cylinder also appeared on the Galax IV and Galax IV.

"Also, the starting spring housing is larger too."

Probably for more common parts with the Fly'ems. The starter spring in the later ones was no longer riveted, and could be changed by extracting the spring from the slot on the spring housing, then feeding a new one in through the same slot and winding the propeller backwards (in the direction of winding for starting). This was tricky, we did it a few times.

"This engine was a real power house as 049s go. It was able to pull a 15 plus ounce plane through the air with ease."

The Testors/McCoy .049's are great engines and very reliable-my favorites.

"I just weighed my Cox PT19 and it comes in at 10 ounces on the dot. I know the Cox Baby Bee pulled the PT19 real good, but I don't remember if the plane would loop."

They will loop (it is a fairly large loop, but they will do it).

"The Fly'em needle valve is metal with a bit of fuel line and plastic cap over it."

Those are the later versions with reed valve motors and, in most cases I have seen, composite (glass filled nylon) crankcases. These run quite well. The early versions have a white nylon wand sticking out, just above the right wing of the airplane. These worked will too, but did not last long. This was an attempt to make the engines easier for kids to start (not having to mess with the needle valve). These also had different filler port for the fuel tank.

"I too have a patch work Wind. I need to find some landing gear to finish her up."

I hope you do-I would like to see video.

Please continue to post photographs of your excellent collection. You have absolutely beautiful models in spectacular shape!
Old Mar 03, 2013, 11:09 PM
Litchfield Park, AZ.
Joined Jun 2006
202 Posts
Testors Cosmic Wind

Thanks for the info Ah Clem!
I do have a few more models I can post photos of.

"The ones with the shorter intake, in general, have the cylinder clocked so that the exhaust goes to the side, rather than dumping down the venturi. When I flew for Testors, we had some that had the short intake and the incorrectly clocked cylinder-these did not run nearly as well."

"We were told that the factory increased the length of the venturi tube, so that they would not have to worry whether or not the cylinder was clocked correctly, decreasing the rejection rate. The later ones with the long venturi tube ran well."

This is great info to me..... My original large dark orange Cosmic Wind from 1975 has this later version Testors McCoy 049 engine. I bought the plane at a local hobby shop in Northern California. The plane was good looking and bigger than all the rest. I just had to have it! I must have cut grass for a good 30 days to get the money to buy it.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 04:16 PM
Litchfield Park, AZ.
Joined Jun 2006
202 Posts
Testors Cosmic Winds

Today I also noticed that the later model large Cosmic Winds don't come with a tail wheel anymore. I guess when Testors started production of the dark orange airframes they eliminated the tail wheel.

If you do a YouTube search for Testors Cosmic Wind, you will find only 2 flight videos. They are poor quality taken in an aircraft hangar from a cell phone.

Ah Clem, Since you have a nice place to fly, I think you should make a good video of the large Cosmic Wind from engine start to flight finish. I'm assuming the P-39 video is yours.

Here are some more NIB large Winds. The Freedom Flyer Wind is my rarest.
Another neat find is 2 apology letters from Coca-Cola for the people who ordered the Sprite Cosmic Winds in 1971.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 08:01 PM
Joined Mar 2005
3,317 Posts
HawkHunter,

Oddly enough, all of the Cosmic Wind/Silver Wind, Spirit of 76's that I have or had, did have the tail wheel. It was not terribly useful and often parted company with the model, completely unnoticed.

This includes the dark orange Cosmic Winds. I suspect that the pilot, spinner, bellcrank, motor mount/fuel tank, and tail wheel were all in the same mold, as these, at least for a time, always matched each other on the same airplanes (obviously later, things changed-a lot!).

Is the bell crank still white on you Cosmic Wind with the red firewall?

Is the Freedom Flyer the same as the earlier Spirit of 76? I have not seen that one before.

And yes, the P-39 in the video is mine. It is a pretty early one (about 1962, I think) with no pilot eject, rubber tires, strut fairings, and the cover over the bellcrank on the bottom. I have not tried weighing it vs the later versions, but I would suspect it is a bit heavier. It was tired when I got it. I did try to fly it with the Wen Mac MkII that came in it, but it would not get out of its own way. In the video, it is flying with a later Testors motor, which is a great deal stronger.

I didn't know if you saw this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1725178