Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 14, 2014, 04:57 AM
Australia
Joined Nov 2009
105 Posts
Discussion
Fogging Fatsharks

HI I have a set of fatshark base sd goggles. every time i fly they fog up real bad. to a point i can hardly see today causing a crash into a tree, i have tried applying anti fog spray to the lenses this only worked for a very short time. So what do you guys do to stop this happening. i know i must be missing something as there are plenty of people using them, please help
custards1 is offline Find More Posts by custards1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2014, 07:35 AM
United Kingdom, England, Darwen
Joined Aug 2007
428 Posts
put the goggles on my head whilst setting up seems to keep the fogging at bay you basically have to get the temp of the goggs to equal your body temp if it still does it also getting excited whilst flying can make this happen ie your eyes giving of the heat must abe a rush of blood ..
mark the shark is offline Find More Posts by mark the shark
Old Jul 14, 2014, 08:41 AM
Joined Jan 2011
2,259 Posts
Heat and sweat inside the rubber cup equals fog

Vent the cup with pinholes and accept a little light coming in, vent them on the bottom if needed it won't be bad

Vent out the humid air in the eyecup and no more problem
branflakes is online now Find More Posts by branflakes
Old Jul 14, 2014, 10:37 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
3,959 Posts
Most of the moisture is coming from perspiration. Take a break after your pre-flight checks so you don't sweat so much, then wipe your face dry just before you put on the goggles. That should keep the goggles clear just long enough for a flight before you start sweating again. If it starts to fog prematurely, go into a hover and pull the goggles away from your face very briefly, that should be enough to vent the moist air and it should clear up in a few seconds.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 14, 2014, 01:02 PM
Joined Aug 2009
24 Posts
I've got this problem as well- even when I keep the goggles scrupulously clean before each flight (and wiping my sweaty brow constantly), they still will fog up, eventually. Has anyone out there tried any anti-fog sprays out(edit: I see OP has, but WHICH one was it)? I am legitimately afraid of ruining the plastic lenses by using anything but a damp microfiber cloth now and again after long flights. Usually I use the dry cloth that came with the goggles (Predator V2).
j4mmin42 is offline Find More Posts by j4mmin42
Old Jul 14, 2014, 01:46 PM
FPV newbie
Joined Oct 2013
259 Posts
i use dominators and dont notice any fogging when driving my 1/10 axial, even when i am quite warm, not sure about cold weather yet.
darkelf1000 is offline Find More Posts by darkelf1000
Old Jul 14, 2014, 07:04 PM
Senior Gravity Checker
Tampa, Florida
Joined Mar 2001
1,045 Posts
How about a micro fan installed below the eyecups and a u shaped vent above. Circulating air would be a solution. I've seen small fans in ratshack.
kist2001 is online now Find More Posts by kist2001
Old Jul 15, 2014, 08:29 AM
Joined Sep 2007
202 Posts
I lost my model due fogging goggles (never to be found) my first & last FPV experience with FatShark:-(....sob sob sob
I now use a HK foam 'box' the one with the small screen in it, far better.

CW
capt wally is offline Find More Posts by capt wally
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:20 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Sep 2001
522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kist2001 View Post
How about a micro fan installed below the eyecups and a u shaped vent above. Circulating air would be a solution. I've seen small fans in ratshack.
I have actually done this & it works!

I know the op's pain only too well... High humidity+sweat= instant fogging and a frustrating day of flying having to remove the goggles while flying & waving them around only to re-fog up again within seconds... too much anxiety!

I have mounted my AIO's in a ski mask and have fitted 2 micro fans on the side of either lens with ducting drawing fresh air from outside then gently blowing across the lenses. I have also wired a two speed switch, on high speed fully fogged lenses will clear up in 3 seconds then switch to low speed for as long as required. I never have to worry about fog again
Mantovani is offline Find More Posts by Mantovani
Old Jul 18, 2014, 03:38 PM
Team Basement RC
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jul 2004
420 Posts
Are you running 2S lipos or 3S lipos?
Run 2 S if you are using 3S. 3S cause the goggles to get warm. That makes you sweat and that in turn causes fogging.

If that isn't the reason (or doesnt work) and you are good around the shop, you can try attaching a cooling fan to the goggles a-la paintball masks. A laptop cooling fan and some creative ducting/venting might do the trick. Of course, vent it so that you get NO light intrusion. Maybe put the fan(s) on the bottom?

This picture shows 2 fans. you might only need one, but you get the idea:
max1 is offline Find More Posts by max1
Last edited by max1; Jul 18, 2014 at 03:47 PM.
Old Yesterday, 03:00 AM
Australia
Joined Nov 2009
105 Posts
Well this week i have been wearing my goggles on my head prior to flying and in between flights this seems to keep the fogging down. i can pretty much get a 7 min flight of my quad in just as they start to fog. not the best solution but its working
custards1 is offline Find More Posts by custards1