HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 17, 2013, 12:00 AM
Joined Jul 2013
5 Posts
Discussion
Drift car, what to buy

I am looking into the world drifting, many things look really cool about it and I own many other 1/10 scale RC cars, but not a drift car. I am either looking into the HobbyKing Mission-D RC car, I have everything from other cars that will make it get on the road in no time. I am also looking into the Exceed Drift Star from nitrorcx.com. I have about a $100-145 bugdet and am looking for something that I will not get to experienced with and end up buying a more expensive rig. I am open to any suggestions and appreciate all of the help I can get.
Killerant20 is offline Find More Posts by Killerant20
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2013, 06:56 AM
United States, MN, St Paul
Joined Jan 2011
264 Posts
That's a pretty limited budget for a drift car, especially something that you don't want to grow out of. Your best option might be to find a nice used rig on ebay. I see a whole lot of Tamiya TT-01 cars go for cheap and other misc on-road cars set up for drifting.

That strikes me as the type of car you might be looking for. Google for what good starter drift cars are out there, and then try to find a bargain in the used market if you can.
midnightsabotage is offline Find More Posts by midnightsabotage
Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:14 AM
Joined Jul 2013
5 Posts
What else would you recommend, I have been looking around and almost every TT01 is a kit car, a rolling chassis, or over priced.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 12:47 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,785 Posts
Building a TT01 isn't hard at all, and you can get budget electronics to complete it. They do sell RTR versions, but they're not cheap.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Jul 17, 2013, 01:13 PM
Joined Jul 2013
5 Posts
Where would you recommend getting the parts, I would be fine for now even if I ran a brushed setup.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 01:38 PM
Joined Jul 2013
5 Posts
I am looking at http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Tamiya-E...item5aec577c3e, but it comes with the standered Tamiya battery plugs, I use the Banana plug batteries. I have 8.4 volt NiMH batteries and I can not find anywhere where it says how high the volts can be without over-heating the motor.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 03:50 AM
Joined Mar 2013
111 Posts
Tamiya tt01 drift RC car is a great one.
charles gray is offline Find More Posts by charles gray
Old Jul 18, 2013, 09:44 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2009
955 Posts
Just know that if you get the TT-01D version over the regular TT-01 you will get the following:

Ball bearings instead of plastic bushings
Oil Filled Shocks instead of Friction Dampers
Black Sport Tuned Motor instead of Silver Can Motor
Aluminium heat sink
Adjustable Suspension Arms and Tie rods over fixed Angle Arms
Led Lighting Kit
Plastic Hard Drift Tires over Standard Rubber ones

That being said the TT01 is a well designed reliable chassis for messing around.

This place sells one for $158 + shipping (You dont see the lower price till you go to checkout)

http://www.micromacromundo.com/tamiy...evo-tt01ed.asp
pach is offline Find More Posts by pach
Old Jul 18, 2013, 12:47 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerant20 View Post
I am looking at http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Tamiya-E...item5aec577c3e, but it comes with the standered Tamiya battery plugs, I use the Banana plug batteries. I have 8.4 volt NiMH batteries and I can not find anywhere where it says how high the volts can be without over-heating the motor.
IMO, get the drift specific kit. You get a lot of good upgrades with it and it's well worth the money over a non drift kit if your end goal is to drift. It's hard to over heat the motor with drifting since it doesn't take much current to spin the tires. Mine stays pretty cool even after 40+ minutes of drifting without a break on a hot summer day.

7 cell nimh packs won't fit in the TT01 battery area, your only options are 6 cell nimh or 2s lipo packs.

For the plug, you have two easy options. First, solder on the connector you need to the ESC or second, buy an adapter to mate the two.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 02:02 PM
Joined Jul 2013
5 Posts
Thanks for all of the help guys, but I am looking to get the OFNA JL10e Drift Pro GT Touring Car, ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Ofna-JL1...item43bc8cbed6 ) I found dirt cheap motor and ESC, ESC - http://www.nitrorcx.com/mad-nh3067.html MOTOR -http://www.nitrorcx.com/mad-nh3068.html . I would like to know if that motor would fit in the mount on the OFNA JL10e Drift chassis. I already have the Transmitter, reciever, servo, and a battery that will work.Thank you for your help!
Old Jul 19, 2013, 05:49 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,785 Posts
That motor and ESC will work with it, but that's not really dirt cheap when you add everything up. You can get a TT-01 with chassis, body, esc and motor for about $150, the chassis you're looking at needs the motor/esc ($25 from what you're looking at) and a body (about $30).

It's not a bad deal, but the ESC and motor you'll get with a TT-01D kit are a bit better than the ones from nitrorcx.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 10:20 PM
Joined Jul 2013
57 Posts
I am a starting RC hobbyist and I was also looking at the exceed drift star, is this hobby grade or toy grade, my dad says this isn't a good car and is a waste of money, I would like to know what is a good entry level drift car kit or RTR and with a reasonable price for what you get
Mini hoov is offline Find More Posts by Mini hoov